iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How is the EAB killed Ash holding up in your area?

Started by ButchC, April 21, 2017, 05:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ButchC

EAB went through my area about 4 years ago now. The smaller ones, less than 12" are about past being excellent  firewood but "usable" for firewood maybe another year?  The bigger ones seem to be holding up much better? I cut 20 down three years ago and saved everything plus 18"  for saw logs.  They have stored very well while I procrastinated about buying a sawmill.  I have been sawing them up over the winter and they are in excellent shape yet. Cut down a few more over the winter and they were also in good shape for sawing but the branches are way past prime for firewood. Wonder how much longer I have before they are junk? Lots of Ash in the area is going to end up as waste I am afraid. 
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

D6c

Not looking forward to losing all the ash here (Iowa)....ash borers have been found in most counties in my area but I've yet to see any dying trees.  Just a matter of time.  People are treating yard trees they want to save but it's pretty expensive.

What's the best use for the ash lumber?  Do you have to treat it for bugs?  We have a ban on moving firewood outside of the county but I think the rule isn't well know and pretty much ignored.

ButchC

I am using the Ash for several projects around the farm, repairing barn siding, bit of framing. Amish around here are using it for everything from furniture to wagon beds. I have some drying that will build a stair case in the house in  a year or so.  Main knock on Ash is it wont weather well, needs paint or kept dry. I haven't done a thing with mine to detour bugs but maybe need to??

As for the firewood moving laws they are a classic example of foolish laws that save or protect nothing. Beside of mother nature doing her thing every time the power goes out the big players in tree services and various power companies are teaming up and convoying from any where to anywhere in the US of A hauling chippers behind their chip chip trucks,,,,and hauling EAB with them. When I asked ODNR why such is allowed when the poor SOB hauling a load of firewood would get fined the answer was "do you want your power on or not?"
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Darrel

Just wondering how long until someone gives this bug a ride out west.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

moodnacreek

EAB is here in orange county N.Y. now and killing ash. Be careful using dead ash for lumber. If too much time goes by it may still look good after being sawn but if you hit it with a hammer it will break up.

Dware67

The last three winters I've been felling underneath a loader bucket with a friend to watch the tops. Next winter if anything is left standing will use my excavator. The crotches are too punky and will break off from the vibration of the chainsaw. Milled a few logs but would'nt use the lumber for much more than skids. I'm 150 miles from Detroit Metro where it started. Now we're watching For the Asian Longhorn Beetle. Same deal, just attacks different trees. Maple may go the way ash and elm.

Thank You Sponsors!