iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broken Valve Spring 453

Started by XMartin, April 14, 2017, 11:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XMartin

I took the head and valve train over to Leid Diesel in Thorp today to show him what I have.  It was nice to meet someone I feel I can trust about a specific subject.  I left the head with him, he is going to send it to a shop that he uses, to rebuild it.  After talking it over, I decided that I don't want to patch this thing together, but would rather do it right the first time and not do it over later. I'll take it out, pull the sleeves,  inspect everything, boil the block, and replace what needs replacing. Like Harold said, "It will look nice when it is all painted up".

dgdrls

Pictures on the way down and back up!!

Question and it's been discussed in the past here on the FF
Do you know what weight oil was run in it?

best
D

XMartin

I have no idea what oil it has in it.  I could ask the previous owner but, I don't believe he was forthcoming  when he told me the engine ran good when he traded it in. Number four piston has a serious  amount of carbon build up on top, and the air box is swamped with engine oil, not to mention the broken push rod spring. 

Spartan

:D
A loggers view (if he was one) of "runs good"  is usually very different than a mechanic's or a person who wants things exactly right.

I work with two guys just like that

XMartin

Spartan,
I chuckled out loud when I read your post.  Of course you are quite right, "runs good" means it runs.

I am going to put some insulated coveralls on and start taking the engine out.  First thing will be to wrap a chain around the belly pan to hold it while I take the bolts out.

coxy

Quote from: XMartin on April 22, 2017, 07:55:54 AM
  First thing will be to wrap a chain around the belly pan to hold it while I take the bolts out.
why would you do that your over thinking things  it don't hurt that much trust me :D :D

XMartin

I had the transmission unhooked and was starting to pry it off the engine when I realized the only thing holding the transmission was the engine.  Knowing that,  I need to find something to lift the whole unit out of the machine.  I had planned using the loader on my tractor, but with the transmission hanging there too, I doubt it will lift it all.  The neighbor might have a gantry if I can figure a way to get it down here.  Didn't think it would be easy.............

coxy

did you pull the roll cage off   if not hook the tranny to that with a chain

XMartin

Yes, I pulled the two bars that slant down across the front, they would not have been high enough.  I may use that idea, but build uprights from the front mounts.

coxy

I call them limb risers  :)  you should be able to hook the tranny to the r cage with no issues

Bill Saf

the white smoke is unburnt fuel from the cyl that you found all carboned up the oily air box is most likely fuel. ? for you have you ever run a rack on a 2 stroke detroit if not I have info on running the rack if you would like to have it its in pdf form. I dont know if jeff would let me upload to the form. if you want it pm me with email ad.

Bill

XMartin

Bill,
Thanks for the offer! I have decided to let the pros do this one. Spring is springing around here, and I need to do some other stuff.  I was looking forward to this, but it all takes time.  By the time I get it back, I might have time to re-install it.
X

Bert

Im no real help but will say LEID diesel is a stand up place. Theyve talked me out of jams before even if i wasnt buying stuff from them. They definitely know detroits in and out. Like a walking/ talking shop manual.
Saw you tomorrow!

Thank You Sponsors!