Sponsors:

what degree bandsaw blade

Started by DDW_OR, April 20, 2017, 10:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDW_OR

Member Carson-saws suggested creating a tally list/poll
parent topic
7 deg or 10 deg? in Sawmills and Milling

FYI - this is my first time creating a poll  :)

edit #1 - as new angles are mentioned i will add it to the list. last one was 13 degree

edit #2 - I could ad an option for every angle from 3 to 15 degree but i am choosing to keep to the standard factory blade angles.
if you do not have a standard angle i recommend voting for the one that is nearest your custom angle.

FYI i added a poll on HP and degree
2020 - what degree bandsaw blade and HP do you use ??? in Sawmills and Milling
"let the machines do the work"

WLC

Well, you did good.  The poll works.  I got the honor of being the first to vote.  Only time I remember coming in first. ;D
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Mt406

That's me day late and a dollar short #2
I have been watching that thread I have been have blade issues
I am running Lt 35 25 Hp  I have been running Kasco 7s and liking them but will still get chatter marks on wide cuts
started using 4s with very good cuts  I started reshaping my old 10s and 7s to 4s

Percy

I use WM 13 degree pretty much exclusively for both hard and softwood. I dont cut much hardwood but when I do, its usually birch or cottonwood and they cut it nice and fast.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Chuck White

I marked 10°, it's my "go-to" blade, and 7°, which is actually an 8°, (a modified 10°)  after sharpening on my Cat Claw sharpener for Spruce and Hardwood.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Nice job with the Poll,

I run a circle swinger so this is all Greek to me :D

D

kelLOGg

James Osmond of CooksSaw had an interesting article on hook angle in the latest issue (Issue 1 of 2017) of their magazine. It was pretty much along the conventional wisdom (10° hardwood, lower for soft) but he added that lower hook angles perform better on mills that are not properly aligned. I switched to lower angles for hardwood a year ago w/o noticing any change but am switching back to 10° for all woods (for now) to see if it reveals the need for alignment.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WV Sawmiller

Don't know if I skewed the poll because I use 4 degree for pine and spruce because of the knots as well as all my hardwoods but I use 10 degree for poplar. I will likely eventually just use 4s for everything.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ox

5° hook angle?  Not unless you customize on your own sharpener...  I don't think they sell a blade like this.  Never heard of one anyways... :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Joe Hillmann

All of my blades started off as 10 degree.  I have some damaged ones that I resharpened a few degrees less but as long as they are sharp I can't tell any difference in softwoods and don't cut much hardwood so I don't know if it makes much difference in them either.

Ox

Funny thing that I noticed is this:  a blade that is being pulled for not good enough for softwood will work absolutely perfectly for a long time in a hardwood.  It's completely backwards in my mind!  ??? :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Andries

Yup, I was wondering about that "hole in the chart".

Quote from: Ox on April 21, 2017, 10:33:51 AM
5° hook angle?  Not unless you customize on your own sharpener...  I don't think they sell a blade like this.  Never heard of one anyways... :)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Percy

Keeper of the poll(DDW) is doing a great job!! smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

DDW_OR

thanks.

i added an edit #2 to my first post.

should i either add voting for sharpeners used or create a new pole
Timberking Sharpener
Woodmizer Sharpener
Cooks sharpener
Dremmel
Raidio arm saw
any others

Darrel

I use an older WM which is quite different from the one they currently sell. Also when it comes to tooth setters, I use a duel tooth setter that I made myself.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Carson-saws

DDW_OR...Thank you very much! Great job setting it up!  I would have made a real mess of it. Thank you
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

kelLOGg

I think HP should be added to the poll because it has bearing on the success of higher rake angles.
Sorry to complicate things.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DDW_OR

Quote from: kelLOGg on May 04, 2020, 06:53:45 AM
I think HP should be added to the poll because it has bearing on the success of higher rake angles.
Sorry to complicate things.
i could start a separate poll on mill HP and angle

it will be complicated, 32 choices.
i agree it will be worth it for those deciding what to do

15 HP - 4 deg
15 HP - 7 deg
15 HP - 10 deg

all the way to

over 50 HP - 4 deg
over 50 HP - 7 deg
over 50 HP - 10 deg

kelLOGg

Thanks so much for doing this. It'll be interesting to see the results as more submit their vote.

Thank You Sponsors!