iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oil sample

Started by snowstorm, April 20, 2017, 07:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

dose anyone do it? irving offered to test it for me for free so why not. 2012 6.7 ford 45000 miles the oil was cummins premium blue 15 40. the results were a trace of water and aluminum is high. i was expecting fuel in the oil from the regen. i will call the lab tomorrow and have them explain it to me

Ox

Looking forward to hearing what they say.  Aluminum would be normal - pistons are still breaking in.  But the water?  Do you make many short trips where the oil won't heat up all the way to burn out moisture?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

dgdrls

Company I work for does it for its hydro-electric generators, Usually bearing oil at least annually some units go twice a year.
We have headed off some failures before they were catastrophic with the service.

D

bushmechanic

When you said water do you mean antifreeze? That is probably form the EGR cooler weeping some coolant. The aluminum could be a problem! Those Ford 6.7 Liter engines are the nicest that Ford put out in a long time.

kiko

Like dgdrls stated oil samples can be very benificial,  however IMHO singular oil samples can be trouble some.  Changes and increases is what to look far on progressive samples to head the failures off at pass.

snowstorm

The report is color coded. Green yellow and red. The water and aluminum was yellow. It said water not antifreeze

BargeMonkey

I did them for yrs on the boats for my last company, every month send 15 samples to ExxonMobil, they would send us back a full blown report of everything. We caught a bearing failure on a blower "16-645E6" EMD from the sample results. Cat does them for and we have done a few at home if we think we have an issue with a truck.
Im having issues with the new F-350 we have, weird electrical gremlins, lights acting weird sometimes, wipers. Ford dealer is trying to blame it on the company who adds the box and plow package. The new trucks scare us for issues, we try and run them 36-42k miles and make them someone else's headache before something blows up. 😂 that Duramax I brought up to your place to get the Timbco head has nickel + dimed me to death, horrible fuel milage, great truck but I'm not sold on it 100%.

snowstorm

i have had it 3.5 yrs. fuel   oil  and filter.    zero on anything else

mike_belben

I used blackstone labs for figuring out the right oil.change interval when i was running wvo. Was very useful info
Praise The Lord

s grinder

Snowstorm,I think it's a good idea,especially if it's free.

s grinder

Where i worked we had a fleet of Macks in the late 90's early 2000's,we regularly performed oil analysis,that generation of engines had a serious head gasket problem,you would never see it in the oil.Mack would warrenty head gaskets when analysis reached a certain level.Bottom line ,you would never catch certain issues with out it.Kind of made me a believer.

snowstorm

the report said 29.9 parts per million of aluminium. i called the lab. they explained everything and that usually means bearing wear. i did find it odd there was no fuel in the oil. change oil at 7000 miles and it hasnt used any its made an extra qt. from the regen

Ox

Aluminum-tin alloy.  I had to look up why they said bearings.  I'm too old school thinking, with lead and copper being bearing material.  I learned my thing for today!  Thanks for telling us the results.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

CTL logger

Quote from: snowstorm on April 20, 2017, 07:52:41 PM
dose anyone do it? irving offered to test it for me for free so why not. 2012 6.7 ford 45000 miles the oil was cummins premium blue 15 40. the results were a trace of water and aluminum is high. i was expecting fuel in the oil from the regen. i will call the lab tomorrow and have them explain it to me

I've owned 2 6.7 a 2011 it had 170k on it when i traded it on a 2014 it has 142k on it. I've owned diesel pickups since 94 the 6.7 is the best best motor they've made only had one sensor issue on them so far. My manual calls for 10w30 diesel oil, i run the shell T5 semi synthetic oil if I run 15 40 my fuel mileage goes down a couple miles per gallon. Just curious why you run 15w40 they don't recommend it according to the manual.

snowstorm

with over a dozen diesel motors here i want just one oil. and i never believed in 10-30. i never could see buying synthetic either.   any fuel pumps replaced on your 6.7?

CTL logger

Haven't had any fuel pump issue just a egt sensor on exhaust. The 14 burnt tge front brakes off in 27000 miles but the next set went 70000 miles.

Thank You Sponsors!