iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Testing Homemade Bandsaw Mill

Started by harmons_ranch, April 20, 2017, 07:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harmons_ranch

Below are some pictures of the first log cut on my homemade bandsaw mill.  It's still in the testing phase, but following a few tweaks it should produce good dimension lumber. 

The blade runs on temporary spare tires and driveline components from a junked Chevy Cavalier and is powered by a 10 HP Tecumseh engine salvaged from an old snowblower.  I've yet to finish weld some components as I wanted to be sure that it would work as expected.  It appears to cut straight and square, with the exception of going too fast through a knot that caused a minor dip. I'll post pics of the mill when guards are installed and other minor items are completed.

I'm a novice when it comes to mills and sawing, but many months of research conducted prior to countless fabrication hours seem to have paid off.  :) (demonstration/explanation video to follow)

Has anyone had any issues with blade set when using tires?

fishfighter

Looks like a good start. And welcome aboard.

thecfarm

harmons_ranch,welcome to the forum.
What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

Some have trouble with tires taking the set out of the blade and others don't.  I didn't.  But I think it's because it was trailer tires I was using and they have a nice radius.  Car tires like you're using generally don't have.  You might have to grind/cut a strip of rubber off where the teeth ride when under tension.
Looks like a good start with the cant you ended up with...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

harmons_ranch

Quote from: thecfarm on April 20, 2017, 07:26:14 PM
harmons_ranch,welcome to the forum.
What's the plan for the lumber?

I have land at the head of the pond shown in the picture; that is where I plan on setting up the mill and hopefully building a small cabin.

thecfarm

I do hope you take us along for the build.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Slingshot

For the build??????????????????...Give me a fishing pole!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

thecfarm

bandmiller2

Welcome Harmon, anyone can go out and buy a mill and be successful, to design and build your own is another thing. Run it and don't be afraid to modify and change things to suite yourself, you are the OEM and write the rules. Any plans to sharpen your own bands.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

harmons_ranch

Quote from: thecfarm on April 21, 2017, 09:15:42 PM
I do hope you take us along for the build.

I certainly will post as many pictures as I can along the way.  This year will likely be cutting logs and sawing lumber with next year being being the beginning of construction (fingers crossed).

harmons_ranch

Quote from: Slingshot on April 21, 2017, 09:49:33 PM

For the build??????????????????...Give me a fishing pole!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
Plenty of trout in that pond...easy to catch and quite tasty.  I grew up near there and spent many evenings after school catching them.  I often go there now and cook up the catch over an open fire. :)

harmons_ranch

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 22, 2017, 07:30:36 AM
Welcome Harmon, anyone can go out and buy a mill and be successful, to design and build your own is another thing. Run it and don't be afraid to modify and change things to suite yourself, you are the OEM and write the rules. Any plans to sharpen your own bands.?? Frank C.

Thanks, Frank.  I spent close to a year reading every scrap of information I could find on this forum and anywhere else before I began building the mill.  It's been about eight months since I started with what I'll call cosmetics remaining.  I've also spent time researching sharpening methods and I'll certainly give it a try.

Qweaver

Congrats!  Building your own mill is quite an undertaking.  Good luck with the sawing and building.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

harmons_ranch

The bandsaw mill is complete with the exception of guards for the v-belt/pulleys, a depth of cut gauge, and the addition of a wheelchair motor and acme rods to raise and lower the head. For now, the boat winch serves the purpose, but my shoulder and arm say otherwise :D. I plan on constructing a new carriage to make minor improvements to this Bill Rake design.  The addition of adjustable feet for levelling the track significantly improved lumber quality.

The lumber in the pictures is tamarack (locally known as juniper).  It produced some nice lumber despite some of the negative comments that I've read.  A local company produces gorgeous flooring and I'm hoping to make a dining table once it dries sufficiently.  The next batch of lumber will be for a solar kiln. 

For now it's setup in the garage, but once winter is over it will move to the wood lot. 

Kwill

What size shafts did you go with on the drive side? What size pulley on the shaft?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

harmons_ranch

Quote from: Kwill on February 13, 2018, 08:18:36 PM
What size shafts did you go with on the drive side? What size pulley on the shaft?

The drive side uses a 1.5" shaft with a 12" pulley and a 3" on the motor.

Jeff

Topic merged.  You really should keep your posts about the same topic subject together in one topic @harmons_ranch for continuity sake.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

harmons_ranch

Quote from: Jeff on February 13, 2018, 10:03:06 PM
Topic merged.  You really should keep your posts about the same topic subject together in one topic @harmons_ranch for continuity sake.

My apologies...I started a new post since other forums seem to dislike it when members re-activate an old post...my bad

Wudman

If you have room, consider putting a piece of plywood inside of your expanded metal blade guards.  If you kick a blade off (I have done it several times on my home built unit when it hit something on the dragback), the expanded metal is going to peel teeth and your blade will be destroyed.  Plywood is a little more forgiving and you may be able to salvage your blade.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

harmons_ranch

Quote from: Wudman on February 14, 2018, 11:20:25 AM
If you have room, consider putting a piece of plywood inside of your expanded metal blade guards.  If you kick a blade off (I have done it several times on my home built unit when it hit something on the dragback), the expanded metal is going to peel teeth and your blade will be destroyed.  Plywood is a little more forgiving and you may be able to salvage your blade.

Wudman

Thanks for the tip...I hadn't thought of that

tizzel

Well it's certainly nice to see a fellow Newfoundlander on here  8)
Sounds like you and me have the same plans for building a cabin
I recently purchased a Woodland Mills HM126 and am starting to mill lumber for a new cabin I plan to start in the fall (hopefully)

Whereabouts are you from? I'm from Central

harmons_ranch

Quote from: tizzel on February 15, 2018, 04:21:12 AM
Well it's certainly nice to see a fellow Newfoundlander on here  8)
Sounds like you and me have the same plans for building a cabin
I recently purchased a Woodland Mills HM126 and am starting to mill lumber for a new cabin I plan to start in the fall (hopefully)

Whereabouts are you from? I'm from Central

I'm on the Avalon and hoping to setup the mill on the site this summer.  We're both close to retirement so this is where we'll be living once it's complete.

harmons_ranch

Getting some spruce logs for the mill...

Kbeitz

Spruce will test your equipment out...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

harmons_ranch

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 17, 2018, 06:19:41 PM
Spruce will test your equipment out...

Yes, I've heard that it can be challenging.  I couldn't resist these these tall, straight trunks and there are plenty in the area I cut them.  I have a new blade ready so will see how it goes  :)

Thank You Sponsors!