The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Ripping speed vs. number of teeth  (Read 2044 times)

Offline SlowJoeCrow

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
Re: Ripping speed vs. number of teeth
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2017, 09:42:58 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, when I get a chance I will experiment with that as well.

For anyone curious what I am using this machine for, here is a stack of boards waiting to be fed in:

And here they are after being run through:

Offline campwags

• Proud Timber King 2000 Owner
    • Camp Wags Pet Resort
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2017, 03:57:37 pm »
I have a WM 718 and just got it setup so I have enjoyed your thread.  Nice garden beds.  I hope the kids help with the weeding as that can be a full time job...   :embarassed:
Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Massey Ferguson 1739E and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

Offline SlowJoeCrow

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2017, 09:22:11 pm »
No shop time at all this weekend, worked on the garden beds.  These have been a huge project for me and the end is in sight.  I do however need to get back in the shop, the last of my surplus 4' stakes sold last week, need to make more.  The Mrs. assured me that if i built them, she and the kids would take care of the rest...like I said earlier, I hope I don't regret making them big!

Offline SlowJoeCrow

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017, 08:24:12 am »
Well, nothing to do with ripping speed or number of teeth, but I am still working on the garden beds to get them finished.  It's slow going when I only have a couple of hours each night.  With retaining walls, most of the time and labor is buried, covered up (base, pipe, gravel along the inside of the walls, etc).

The lowest bed is completely done, still working on the upper two, but I am getting close!  The Mrs. has learned not to wait on "Slow Joe Crow", she has seeds in the ground in the lower two beds.

Offline SlowJoeCrow

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 10:35:45 am »
Got the beds 95% complete, complete enough to get back in the shop anyway ;)

Put the cogged AX belts on, they are indeed better.  Was ripping stock and in went a knot/weak spot in the wood.  The knot or weak spot came loose  and CHACHUNK!!!!

It chunked a large piece of wood instead of ripping through it.  In the split second that it happened, the rear feed roller (I have the metal serrated rollers) somehow raised enough and contacted my blade pack - yes all five blades.  Looking at it afterward, you can't imagine how they would contact, but they did.  The saw shaft isn't bent and neither is the feed roller.  I have found out using this machine with five blades spaced closely together, the wood you feed in needs to be clear and straight-grained, or bad things will happen.  Basically, the blades find that weak spot and tear hunks of wood instead of ripping through it.

I took these blades to a different saw shop for sharpening which I will be using from now on.  They are a "cut above" the other saw sharpening service I was using.
After talking to them, they can custom make any kind of saw blade for me and were going to quote me a price for these specialty blades, but with a flat top grind and the keyways and bolt holes on a random stagger so the blade tips wouldn't be lined up in a row.  (everything I wanted).  A 18 tooth to match these stock blades and a 12 tooth so I could test the theory of less teeth will cut faster.

I thought to myself: "The price will be through the roof!"
Well I got the pricing yesterday:  18 tooth blade-$72, 12 tooth-$62.  The stock blades from Woodmaster are $70.  When it's time to buy more blades, I will go this route and see how they do.  Unfortunately it will be a while as the 10 blades I already have have a lot of life left in them.