iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

7 deg or 10 deg?

Started by Quebecnewf, April 20, 2017, 01:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Sure this has been asked before but here goes...

Going to buy a bunch of new blades . Going to try the Kasco . Read good things about them ..

I saw all softwood ( fir and spruce) have a 20!hp motor . For my new blades should I go with 7 deg or 10 deg.

Quebecnewf

Kbeitz

I would say 4 deg. for 20 hp.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

york

I stopped using 10° Bands about 3 yrs ago-Sofwood logs have hard limbs..
I mill a mix of W. Pine,Hemlock and Red Oak and use 7°....
Albert

WLC

New(ish) sawyer here.  My LT28 is 20hp and my WM dealer suggested the 7° bands for our wood species here.  Spruce and white birch.  Seem to cut good for me and don't bog the motor down unless you really push the feed rate.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Bruno of NH

I have a 13 hp mill and use 7's and 4's now
7's cut great for me in soft wood and some hard wood
But use the 4's in the real tough stuff
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ladylake

4° will cut anything plus stay sharp longer.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dgdrls

What have you used in the past?

Knots are surely an issue but seems like 4's in soft wood
just wouldn't perform as well as something with a little more angle
and the right set,

JMHO,

D

Carson-saws

Jeff....is there a way to start a tally list, like the other type of lists for...say....the one for years of experience or the others like that.  The reason is the varieties of degree use for soft or hard wood choice that seems to fluctuate.  I think it would be interesting, for this thread anyway, to see who uses what for what at what degree and such.  Just a thought Sir.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

bags

Mostly all I get to cut up here in the high country is Doug-Fir, Spruce, limber pine, Ponderosa and aspen. I've been cut'in with 10* Lenox blades with no problems. I'm gonna say I have less pitch build up on the blades with the 10's than the others. If your cut'in a good bit of the smaller Spruce that has a lot of knots, you may fair best with the 7* blades.

Andries

I've got 24 horses on my LT30.
After trying a bunch of brands and angles, the 7 degree bands are what I've standardized on.

But, if there's some wonderful bur oak that's calling out my name, I'll pull out my secret weapon: 4 degree bands - especially if it's below zero weather.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Carson-saws

bags....I like Lenox as well.....This is another example of the degree of choice.  A tally list would be interesting....

dgdrls

Quote from: Carson-saws on April 20, 2017, 08:41:59 PM
Jeff....is there a way to start a tally list, like the other type of lists for...say....the one for years of experience or the others like that.  The reason is the varieties of degree use for soft or hard wood choice that seems to fluctuate.  I think it would be interesting, for this thread anyway, to see who uses what for what at what degree and such.  Just a thought Sir.

New thread and choose New Poll,  see if that works
you may have to make two, or work the question and responses a bit

D

Cutting Edge

Quote from: ladylake on April 20, 2017, 06:18:51 PM

4° will cut anything ....

I agree with ladylake.  Especially with a 20hp engine

There is some good information later on in this thread:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,95291.0.html

The reason for including the link is specific to the discussion about gullet depth and the ability for the blade to remain stable.  The Kasco 4 deg has a much shallower gullet vs. the Kasco 7 deg.  You have to FEED blades with larger gullet capacity to get a good cut... which require a good bit of HP.

Nearly all my customers that have lower HP mills and have switched to the Kasco 4 deg have stayed with it because it performs extremely well, regardless of species.  Plus, they're able to produce a better product with much less issues more common with higher deg hook angle blades.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Carson-saws

I would think including the various H/P and which "blade of choice" depending on hard or soft.  Is that something that a member can set up as far as the poll? Or is that something the skilled and talented hands of Jeff can, would, will, should, will think about, ponder, about doing?

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Brucer

I've cut several hundred thousand board feet of Douglas-Fir with 10° blades -- no waves, no problems. I'm currently sawing Western Red Cedar, trying for maximum production of specific sizes, with 10° blades -- no waves, no problems. I've sawn small quantities of Lodgepole Pine, White Pine, and Ponderosa Pine with 10° blades -- no waves, no problems.

When I ran into some wide, dry White Spruce, I made waves. Serious waves. It was embarrassing (and the customer was not happy). I tried everything -- freshly sharpened blades, new blades from the box, checked the mill (and bladed) alignment, sawed slow, sawed fast -- nothing worked. So I called WM for advice and they suggested their new (at the time) 7° blades. I bought 3 to try, called the customer and told him to bring me some more Spruce cants, and zipped right through those cants without even a ripple :o :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

I am solidly in the less is more camp when it comes to band hook. Most of the time I use around six degree hook. Its my understanding that 10 deg. bands feed a little easier on manually fed mills. In the beginning most mills were pushers and the 10's just carried over and became the standard. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!