iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber King 2500 vs WM LT70 Super Wide

Started by footer, January 28, 2016, 03:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

footer

Hey, I am a long time member, but haven't been here much other than the occasional browsing for a few years. My brother is looking at getting a high production mill and is considering these 2 options. We have had a LT40 Manual for many years. Does anyone out there have any first hand experience with direct comparisons between these 2 mills? From what I understand, the LT70 Super wide, is new, and if my brother buys one, it might be the first one off the line? If that is true, what about the lt70 in general vs the TK? We really are looking for wider cut than what the standard WM does. There seems to be very little to almost no information out there on the timber-king 2500 that I can find, and there are countless videos on the LT70. I am suspecting that this is due to the TK2500 being new and probably very few actually out there. Over all, it seems that WM is far ahead of TK in R7D and manufacturing, and overall seems to be a far superior machine.
Im not looking to turn this into another Ford vs Chevy debate. Just looking for honest opinions of facts if possible.

Dave Shepard

The 70 Supers must be out there, one was run in the Shootout, and I've seen videos of them running. First I've heard of the TK 2500.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tmbrcruiser

I looked at the 2500E TK vs the Baker 3650E picked the Baker but think the TK is probably a great machine. It is my understanding TK is dropping the 2400 to build the 2500.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

GDinMaine

I believe there is at least one member here, who owns an LT-70 Wide mill.  So.  If your brother buys one, it could still be the second one built.  Here is a discussion about LT-70 Wide mills from 2013. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,66870.0.html
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Larch

One thing about the 70 wide is that the debarker is pretty far out there and so doesn't debark smaller logs.  If all you're sawing is giants it won't matter.  But if you're going to saw only a few giants here and there get an LT 15 wide and a non-wide 70.  Not being able to use the debarker can get annoying. 

tule peak timber

We've had a 70 wide for a year or better , but not the "super". It replaced a smaller Woodschmoozer.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

280 rem

Your only a few hours away from TK. You could drive there and they would demo for you and show you the manufacture of and everything about it and answer any questions about it. I'm about the same distance from them and did that a couple years ago. And by the way, that short distance will be mighty handy when you need the parts or supplies, that all mills end up needing. Having owned one of those 2 brands I would not say that one is superior to the other.
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

footer

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 28, 2016, 06:57:14 PM
We've had a 70 wide for a year or better , but not the "super". It replaced a smaller Woodschmoozer.  Rob
Rob, do you have any issues with the debarker that  Larch mentioned. We wouldn't be sawing primarily huge logs, but wide slabs will be a large part of it. The width between guides on the LT40 has consistently been a problem, along with the fact that to use the whole width with a square cant, , you have to put the back stops down, and space the cant up, then slide the whole thing over, losing the ability to clamp it down.

He is going to go see a LT70 in action that a local guy has, and he was planning on going to see the TK at the factory. The only issue is, the LT70 he is going to see is not the wide or the super.

MartyParsons

Hello,
The debarker assembly has been changed to improve the range. It now swivels differently. I will try to take a picture.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

footer

Quote from: MartyParsons on January 29, 2016, 12:47:18 PM
Hello,
The debarker assembly has been changed to improve the range. It now swivels differently. I will try to take a picture.
Marty
Thanks Marty!

Will_Johnson

Just thought it would be appropriate to put some factual information here on the 2500. If it's not appropriate I trust Jeff will delete this post!

The 2500 does indeed replace the 2400 in the product line. One thing we kept hearing from customers was that they wanted the capacity and power of the 2400 mill in a more compact frame-work.

The mill is powered with a 59HP Kubota Diesel. It comes with the normal TK hydraulics plus dual bi-directional chain log turners and dual bi-directional log clamps. It will make cuts up to 34.5" wide, with 16" clearance above the blade and 36" above-deck blade clearance. It will handle logs up to 39" in diameter and 24 feet long. Priced at $56,995. 

We hope to get a video done and posted on our website in the next couple of months. Waiting for better weather. Plus I'm going to have to get a haircut to do the video and I'm not quite ready for that.

Larch

Quote from: MartyParsons on January 29, 2016, 12:47:18 PM
Hello,
Marty

It does have a wide range of movement but it won't debark what a non-wide will. 

Dave Shepard

Larch, are you talking about the latest version that Marty is talking about?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Does it swivel the way the European ones do?  Where it shoots the bark away from your face instead of into it?

@WV Sawmiller I thought in one of your pics one time it looked like the debarker on your 35 swiveled the european way, like how an austrailan toilet flushes backwards.
Boy, back in my day..

footer

Well, it sounds like he decided on the WM. I guess, according to WM, they have made some significant improvements to the new LT 70, and the one he is ordering will be the new model. Whatever that means. I don't have the details. Thanks for the input guys! I will add some more info once he gets it.  It sounds like 3 month lead time.

WV Sawmiller

4X4,

As I remember my debarker rotates in a clockwise direction throwing bark away from me. I will verify in the morning but sure seems to me that is the direction of travel.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Quote from: footer on January 29, 2016, 09:52:36 PM
Well, it sounds like he decided on the WM. I guess, according to WM, they have made some significant improvements to the new LT 70, and the one he is ordering will be the new model. Whatever that means. I don't have the details. Thanks for the input guys! I will add some more info once he gets it.  It sounds like 3 month lead time.

Excited to hear about it, and remember, pics or it didn't happen!

W(BG)V Sawmiller
that sounds like a neat idea, not having bark, rocks, and mud thrown into your face lol  Not to mention, it's prolly spitting it right into my blade before it goes into the wood lol it does seem to do a pretty good job though
Boy, back in my day..

Larch

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 29, 2016, 08:37:05 PM
Larch, are you talking about the latest version that Marty is talking about?

I think so. 

But if Marty says that you don't lose debarking capability on smaller logs with a wide mill I stand corrected.  I am no expert.

I'm pretty sure you gain something but you also lose something on a wide. 

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I understand I am in trouble for not getting this posted in a more timely fashion.

If you notice on the picture above there is no more Horn to warn you the debarker is on. Now there is a blinking strobe light to warn you to stay away.

Transport position above.

These pictures are from a regular LT70 mill not a wide.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

bkaimwood

Marty, thanks for specifying it is not a wide head...I was going to warm the truck up...
bk

footer

Well, the thing is on Order and is supposed to be about 6 weeks out. Will start adding pictures and such once it arrives. Will Baugh from Woodmizer Missouri is going to deliver it and do the set up / training once its done getting built.

mjl_2007

I run a Super 70 wide with all the support equipment. Bought it last fall. It's had a couple hiccups, but Wood-Mizer has been excellent about getting it taken care of. I'd be happy to help answer any questions you might have.

Cypress Man

I have  a two year old LT70 wide head dcs. It does not have the improved debarker design and it does not debark small diameter logs. Marty, do you know if WM will offer a upgrade kit to swap over to the new type?
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

chardin

I recently purchased a timberking 2200 the machine is solid I checked the design and build of all I could look at timberking, cook, woodmizer and having engineering back ground 26 years I know quality welds and dependable engineering and timberking surpasses the competition though the others are quality. As for the 2500 formerly the 2400 I would have one had the cost been lower the kubota diesel engines just sip fuel.  I do like the debarker new design much better mine is belt drive works great just a little long

Thank You Sponsors!