The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Paid off our mortgage!  (Read 1012 times)

Offline DDW_OR

Re: Paid off our mortgage!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 03:19:04 pm »
......I have a little 4x8 trailer ...... It gets a lot of looks, but half of them seem to be looking at construction details.   ;D

Photos please.
TimberKing 2000, Mahindra 5520 4x4, Max22 4x4, Bobcat Excavator 331, E80, Multitek 1610EZ
"let the machines do the work"

Offline Stoneyacrefarm

• Full Member x2
  • Farmer/Service manager
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 10:15:56 am »
I'm a little late here but.....
Congratulations. !!!
Keep up the good work. 

Offline TKehl

• Aspiring Sawmiller
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 12:18:20 pm »
DDW_OR, it's nothing fancy by any means.  I cut down wire cattle panels to fit and bent the wire "spur" around the next panel at the corners for support.  Gate is connected the same way with one side closed with wire or spring latches.  The board that slides in the back is critical to keep critters from going under the gate.

This shows it with the top off for collecting bagged leaves for garden mulch.  Pulled by the Kia Rio I used to have.  Pulled my first 7 gilts home with this car.  3.5 hours one way.   ;D

Usually it's pulled by the minivan now.  Wire and ratchet straps to hold the rack down.  Easily removable.

This trailer and hitches on the minivan/Rio have saved me tons over the years over buying a truck+insurance etc.  I do have a truck now (F350), but they still save a lot of money in gas over taking the truck for small loads.  Plus I can take ALL the kids and don't have to move carseats around.   ;D
Lucas 6-13, a blue cant hook, a few orange chainsaws, and a bunch of trees.

Offline thechknhwk

• Senior Member x2
    • Story of the Trees
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 09:06:42 pm »
I still remember my grandparents mortgage burning party.  They burnt the note on a cookie sheet right on the kitchen table.  After having a mortgage of my own I imagine they were all sorts of happy.  Congratulations 8) - I look forward to the day.

Offline Farmerjw

• I'm so far behind I think I am in first place.
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 10:45:58 am »
Congratulations.  What an achievement!  We have 5 years to go.  The only problem with paying off the mortgage, it makes me realize I am getting old!
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 11:50:47 am »
Congratulations, great job when so young.
We've paid off several mortgages over the years. I think our first was when I was about 45-46. After that we started buying houses to rent and made the down payment by re-mortgaging our home. Those were then paid off in 5-7 years as well at the rental houses being paid off in 10-12 years. We did that about 5 times, sometimes with home equity loans for the down payment. Then we got older, and after selling 2 rentals we had, we bought our current home ( a duplex, 20 yrs old and it prime area, super condition) for cash. The tenant's rent pays the taxes and over half of the other routine expenses, with no mortgage, no vehicle or other debts either.
Having no mortgage helps one sleep more soundly at night for sure.
logging small time for years but just learning how, with a Forest stewardship plan, 2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, sugar maple/maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 03:44:04 pm »
I've been doing over 2x+ payments on my house.  Money got a little tight last year when pouring a lot of concrete at the cabin build so I had to drop back for a few months.  I just re-assesed my mortgage worksheet.  I figured that if I bump up another $60 (on top of the 2x), I will make my final payment next January instead of February.  My original plan was to be done this September when I started hitting it hard 7 years ago.

Then it will just be another 2.5 years to pay off the cabin loan...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.