iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Half-assed will bite ya.

Started by Jeff, April 19, 2017, 06:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Ten years ago we had to have a new well. The well guy, when digging to connect to the house water line severed the underground electric feeding the well pump. No small deal since our house is berm and that wire is about 6 feet deep where it entered the house. He assured me at the time he could make a permanent splice. Permanent actually means ten years. Easter morning we got up to no water. I called a well guy that I know that had bailed us out in the past and he came out monday and diagnosed the problem. The easiest solution was to run a new line from the new pole barn service. We ran a temp line to get water. Yesterday I began digging. It all had to be hand dug due to what turned out to be 10 irrigation lines crossing the path. For some reason I had estimated I was going to have to dig a trench 100ft long and 18" deep. It was the longest 100ft I've ever saw. Mostly because once dug, I needed to measure. To pay for the wire I used that the well guy left with me. My 100 feet was actually 160 feet.  I got it dug in one day. Last night was horrible. Lots of angry muscles!
Because of a half ass fix ten years ago, I'm paying for it today.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

When we first ran electric to the mill, we put it in a conduit.  We also put an extra bell wire in there, just in case we wanted to run another line.  Then, there isn't any reason to dig.  Hindsight is 20/20.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

69bronco

If you haven't covered it yet, get a roll of caution tape (cheap) and lay on top of the wire. Preferably a couple inches above, may save you or someone else a cut wire down the road.

Weekend_Sawyer

That is a good idea that would have saved me twice!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

red

I have heard of using Gray Sand to mark lines.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Hilltop366

Yes a conduit would be worth it's weight in gold after that!

I ran a 4"pvc drain pipe for conduit from the house to the well, can change the wires with no digging and to change the water line I only have to dig at the well.

Jeff

So, speaking of Half-ass.  I find myself having to defend my own words because of those that have been reprimanded for swearing or pseudo swearing on the forum in the past. 
I used a legitimate term found in the dictionary.
half-assed
ˈhafast/
adjectiveinformal
adjective: half-arsed; adjective: half-assed; adjective: half-ass

done with little effort or care; incompetent or inadequate.

For the Bozo that decided to post openly twice (deleted) and the other two sending me PMs. Big difference. One was reprimanded for using a form of the f word, another reprimanded multiple times and even temporarily banned for intentional profanity.  Now this topic is about something else. Don't call me out on this unless you are ready to face what has built up from having to shovel a 160ft trench through rock gravel and roots. I won't play.

WV Sawmiller

We had to run new lines to some of Saddam's palaces throughout Iraq when we inherited them and used them for US military applications and we used the caution tape about 4-6 inches over the new line to help warn anyone digging in the area. Pretty simple to just roll out a line of it over the new electric or water line.

Of course all this is 20/20 hindsight. Sorry about the inconveniences (and cost - repair contractors, backhoes/fuel, new wire, etc. ain't cheap anymore).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Man, Jeff you are a digging machine! I can understand feeling a bit out of sorts after that :o
Too many irons in the fire

H.O.D.

What I have found helpfull and easy is to keep a ongoing hand drawn overview of anything that goes in the ground around this place. I was here when all conduit was placed 23years ago so was able to record and get pics of what is where. An example is transecting measurements for the septic distrabution box. Also placed decals on ends of some exposed conduits discribing where they went..example..To Barn..or To Well.. To elec Pole.Added a extra conduit with pull string here and there but havent used any of them yet. Maybe I just had too much time but has proven very helpfull and   great info to stay with the house and pass on to any new owners . Great job on the trench.

Texas Ranger

You were lucking on the soil type, I dug 65 foot to bury a gas line, in blackland clay.  Never, ever, again.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Corley5

You've got a back blade for your 8Ns ???  That should help with back filling  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sandhills

Dug many footings in dry, hard clay with a tile spade, Jeff I feel your pain.  Nice job.

Jeff

Quote from: Corley5 on April 19, 2017, 09:47:43 AM
You've got a back blade for your 8Ns ???  That should help with back filling  :)

Yup, loving having that 8n around!

luvmexfood

I have to dig somewhere about that much to bury a wire. Probably going to rent an excavator since I have a couple of other projects I can use it for to get a days work out of it. Have to replace a wire from building down to a pump for the farm water system.

When dad put it in about 17 years ago it was on a cost share basis with the gov. Tried every-way in the world to get him to bury it then but he insisted on running it overhead on cedar posts. Posts are rotten and the wire has succumbed to UV light. Do it right the first time and forget it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Marty

From a person that dug ditches for a living. Nice backfill job.

Jeff

That was your second favorite tractor Marty!

newoodguy78

That's a lot of shovel fulls right there good job. At least it looks like it was dry digging makes it better for cleanup nice job.
By the way why do those type of things always seem to happen on weekends or holidays? ???

kensfarm

Jeff,

The only good thing about that trench is.. at least it wasn't a old septic tile drain you were re-digging by hand.  I can still hear my brother.. "stop slinging it on me!"

I 2nd the nice job on the backfill..  my back would've been toast after that job. 

Engineer

Can I hire you?  I need some diggin' done.   8)

Jeff

DelawhereJoe

Hey Jeff, I have an old drag bucket you can have, it will hook right up to your 3pt hitch...shippings on you though. Can you get approved from the boss to get one of the tow behind back hoes ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

sawguy21

I am almost in tears thinking of digging that trench by hand. Industrial strength Tylenol would be my friend.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

It's obvious to me that Jeff is the "get 'er done" type, that would've taken me a week to do, making excuses the whole time of other stuff that needed done ;D Well, hmm actually now that I think of it, domestic water, sewer, and electricity is something that makes all of us get er done types. The wife will see to it ;) I remember at our last house, the septic backed up one weekend. I had to go get my grandpa's backhoe, 75 miles away, dig it up,  put in new section of drainfield, return backhoe. The obvious difference in mine and Jeff's story being "backhoe" :D I did have to get my arm down inside a 50 year old septic tank to put a baffle on it. The answer to the question- "can stalactites form from sewage inside a septic tank?" Yes. Yes they can steve_smiley
Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on April 19, 2017, 04:05:50 PM
Hey Jeff, I have an old drag bucket you can have, it will hook right up to your 3pt hitch...shippings on you though. Can you get approved from the boss to get one of the tow behind back hoes ?

I have a trip bucket. Didn't need a trench 2 feet wide though, and it would have tore out the irrigation lines.

This was definitely a get-er-done project. no shower and flushing the toilet with the bucket gets old quick. The shower part especially, when you are digging the mother of all trenches. :D

I did find some treasures on this dig. 34 years of raising a family here, who knows what else is buried out there.

Thank You Sponsors!