iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bibbyman and ProSawyer visit Baker!

Started by Bibbyman, December 13, 2004, 05:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Yes..   It's true!  Despite what impressions you have that the Bibbyman can only see one color (yellowishred),   I do get along with the Baker Blue boys and TimberKing Red guys just fine.  (And that goes with all the good folks out there in the sawmill industry – even those guys what talk funny from "down under".)

Pro-Sawyer Mary and Tom-in-Mo.

Bibbyman and Tom-in-Mo.

So... Just why was me and ProSawyer Mary down at Ellington, MO anyway?  Well,  we were kickin' tires on a log deck.  Baker not only makes mills,  but they make a wide array of support equipment to go along with their mills.   And,  while some of their support equipment won't interface directly with other brands of mills,  they are willing to make custom modifications to their standard designs to accommodate what the customer needs.  

Good and bad – Good – you don't have to fight the big-city, interstate highway traffic to get to Ellington, Mo.  – Bad – the roads you do have to travel look like they were mapped by dipping a warm in ink and dropping it on a piece of paper.  You can just drive to Ellington – you got to go to two or three other places first.

Anyway,  we made it with only one stop for breakfast.  Baker sets on top of the hill north of the town that only has one caution light on the main highway.  

After some visiting time, (and a wait for Tom Stout a.k.a Tom-in-Mo to make a post on the Forestry Forum) Tom took us to the mill assembly area where we saw one of their 3630E mills in final adjustment stage.  There was another with 67hp John Deere diesel engine being assembled.  I had my camera but the batteries had given out so I couldn't take pictures at this time.

Unfortunately,  they had no live decks in stock for us to see.  We looked through the inventory in the warehouse at other deck equipment to get some ideas.

Tom then took us out north of town about 10 miles where Jimmy Richards had a Baker 3630E set up with a log deck.   Jimmy saws out mostly railroad ties and makes grade lumber offin' the outside.   He runs two shifts.

Jimmy loads large water oak onto the mill.

Jimmy only hit a couple of nails in this large water oak. >:(

He had just replaced his older 3630E with a new model with setworks, etc. just a couple of days ago.  The log deck was not exactly like the one they would normally use with the 3630 as it was taller than normal.  They suspect it was made for their scrag mill.   In any case,  it worked fine and provided us with a good example.  

To accommodate our Wood-Mizer,  the deck height would need to be much lower.  We would need to work out how it would be powered, etc.  But Tom felt they could easily make these design adjustments.

One thing for sure,  saw milling was the major industry in this area.  We probably spotted 50 mills on our way to and from Baker.   Most all were concentrating on making railroad ties.  There was one major buyer about 20 miles north of Ellington.   And there is a couple ka-zillion acres of second growth hardwood timber to feed the mills.

Thanks Tom for having us down and showing us the sites.   Thanks Jimmy for showing us your operation and taking time to talk with us.  (Tom will have to pass this thanks onto Jimmy as he's one of those people that has no use for PCs.)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

AtLast

Well done Bibby.....As you kno Id be the first to talk about Baker....My new 3642 is AMAZING and never stops amazing me. I have regular tours through my yard and in some of those tours are owners of shall we say " other mills"...they leave EVERY TIME impressed  by the quality cuts..accuracy and consistant cuts made on this Baker mill... even with a dull blade the Baker mill cuts straight and strong...no waves....no slow down...no worries...totally over built...strong...reliable...heavy duty PRODUCTION MILLS!!!!..... hooking up with Tom was the right guy...He knows his product and IF you need cust support Tom is all over it...to date I have not had ANY shrt fallings and KNOW Baker will stand behind their product and Tom will go WAY above and beyond the call of duty....we all love our mills no matter who makes it...BUT I will ALWAYS be a BAKER MAN and know that youed be hard pressed to find a PRODUCTION MILL as fantastic as a Baker mill....of course thats as none bias as possiable...but...like I said in the " mods post"....no need for that....Baker does it right the first time.. ;D

Tom_in_Mo.

Well folks!!!!!! Pro-Sawyer not only knows how to saw, but she also knows how to make tasty CHRISTMAS goodies. Mary brought some wonderful cookies. As you can tell by the picture of me that I am just wasting away :o

Those are some good Country folks, and yes I am counting Bibbyman in this also. Arky, I would have shared those cookies with you if you would have been able to come, Well, I would have least thought about it.

Thank You Mary and Bibbyman for coming down and visiting our Plant. I think that you two surprised Jimmy Richards yesterday a little.

Bibbyman

Yea, that Arky!    

He says...  "When you go to Baker's to check on the log deck,  let me know and I'll come up too."   What's he do when the time comes??.... "I can't make it."   You think he chickened out?
Sawing since '94

DanG

He wuz probbly afraid they'd chunk him over the fence again. ;D :D :D ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ARKANSAWYER

I would have went up but I had a chance to get some good logs so I took the logs.  Had I known for sure Mary was a bringing Christmas Cookies I might have re-thunk them logs.
  It took 3 of them Baker boys to put me over that fence. ;D
  I am looking at a Baker re-saw and pretty sure it is the one for me.  The bed tilts so you can split a board at an angle to make beveled siding.  That way I can saw 1 1/8 lumber and dry it then split it in two for siding.  It be cheaper, faster and easier to stack and keep till ready for sale.
ARKY
ARKANSAWYER

sparks

Don't forget about us. 12 or 20 ft deck designed to fit right up against your mill. Runs right off you're exsisting controls.
OH NO! I'm becoming a salesman. Better get back to technical where I belong.
Everyone have a blessed and glorious Christmas.
Remember the reason for the season!
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

beav

HEY... I could see those nails in that oak log from here. I was yelling NO don't do it as the last picture loaded. I was too late to stop him :( :D :D

Tom_in_Mo.

OH GOSH!! This means that I will have to get Arky back over the fence somehow, I guess I will have to get a laddet next time and be a little more gentle.
Boy was them some good cookies Arky, sorry you missed out.  

Minnesota_boy

Sparks,
I'm intrigued by the log deck that you mentioned that Woodmizer produced that would fit up to my mill, so I went to the Woodmizer website to dig out the info and see pictures, but I couldn't find it there.  It wouldn't fit in with my current business plan, but I like to think of my options to make otherwise down time be productive.

Sure is nice to see you on here representing the company and willing to lend a hand when we have a problem.  Wish I had known about this site sooner.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bibbyman

I found the log decks over on the WM industrial side of the web site - the gray mills.

See if this link gets you to some info.

Wood-Mizer Industrial - Log decks.

They make a two lengths - 12 and 20 feet. and a couple of versions - 1 for LT40/LT70,  another for LT300.  Got kits to adapt if you've got remote, etc.

From what I've found out,  they will work with LT40 Super, LT70 or LT300.  Standard HD don't have enough HD power?
Sawing since '94

Minnesota_boy

Thanks Bibby,
If I decide that I need one, I'll bet I can figure some way to get power to it.  They sure have that hidden.  It took some time to navigate to it even after you showed where it was.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bibbyman

Yea,  I don't think I ever found them on the "orange" side of their web site.  They don't cover much about them on the "gray" side.  And they don't mention that they make them for the LT40 Super and LT70 that I can find at all.  I guess they practace "if they don't ask, don't tell".  

I just remembered they had them and asked.

Wasn't much better at Baker.  They had to send me pictures.  Here is as close to information about their log decks as you can find on their web site..

Baker Log decks
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!