iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 450c dozer steering issue

Started by BurkettvilleBob, April 18, 2017, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurkettvilleBob

I was dozing away this afternoon on a pretty steep hill, backing up the hill, pushing stumps down the hill. After a few passes the left steering lever would get soft and stop working correctly. I'd go back down to the flat and separate  stumps and push aside and the steering would go back to normal. Is something starving for fluid when on a hill?

mike_belben

Start with your oil levels and sump screen.
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

what do you call soft??? 450c clutches run in oil. dipstick is under the seat. dose it slip?backing up hill? one side or bolth? one side break to tight .discs wore out .hose leaking. the hose goes to the clutch pack. how fast dose it change direction at 1700rpm? it should be quick. not quite to the point of throwing you on to the hood but almost

BurkettvilleBob

Soft like there is no resistance when you pull back. The trans isn't slipping, I know what that feels like. You have to really pull back on the left lever to steer. Only when backing up a hill though.

snowstorm

The levers should pull easy until it engages the break. It's sorta like power steering but manual brakes . It will seem different in reverse. Parking brake is on is it? I have seen them left on and it acts strange. There is an adjuster for the brakes

BurkettvilleBob

I know, it pulls easy all the back, like it's not engaging the brake at all, but only in these conditions. Right lever works fine.

mike_belben

Is there some debris rolling around in the linkages?  Its pretty common for 50lbs of oil soaked rubbish to be under the seat.
Praise The Lord

BurkettvilleBob

I cleaned all that out, plus that would be more likely to make something harder to move, not easier, keep the ideas coming though.

g_man

Did you look at the steering brake linkages. Sounds like something gets misaligned and doesn't hit the brake lever for some odd reason when you are at a sever angle ??????????

BurkettvilleBob

BurkettvilleBob

Looks like the left brake needs adjusting, it pulls back farther than the right.  I've had trouble getting both sides to "feel" the same in the past.

coxy

my 350c is like that after putting in new brake bands one lever  always pulls back more than the other if I try to make them the same one brake is always to tight  if I remember right the book says 1-11/2inches  off the lever peg on the floor the brake should start to engage

BurkettvilleBob

Adjusted the brakes and all was good until I spent more time on the hill. Then the steering started acting up again and the brake pedal went soft as well. After a few minutes on the flat the brake pedal was back to normal. What is going on here?

coxy

try adjusting that brake a little tighter you will know if its to tight as soon as you move run it at low low rpm so you can here/feel it drag

bushmechanic

Sure sounds like an oil level issue to me. Did you check the oil level in the transmission? The levers are hydraulic assist so you may be low on oil.

snowstorm

On a 450 c.the steering is just moving a valve. Pull the lever far enough it pulls the brake band. Power steering manual brakes. The 450 b. Had power steering and brakes.i would b.s. k off on the brake
It will act different backing up hill

Ford_man

My 450BC done the same thing. I finally pulled the filter out of the trans and kleened it  It works good now

BurkettvilleBob

I don't know. The oil level is good, still squeaky clean, maybe 40 hours on the fluid and all filters. The brake adjuster on the left side seems to be maxed out and the freeplay isn't to spec, brake is supposed to engage at 5 inches of travel, it's at 6 right now. I called the local  guru from the jd garage, he said he'd come check it out.  I'll report back.

coxy

sounds like a wore out brake band  I know on a 350c you can put the brake cam on backwards ( iv done it many times being in a hurry) and the band will be all the way adjusted tight and it don't work worth of crap  ;D  don't know if a 450c is the same has any one put brake bands in it

snowstorm

Was that bill you talked to? If so he will know of anyone would

BurkettvilleBob

That's what I'm afraid of Coxy, a worn out brake band. Do you have to tear the final drive off to change one? Imagine you would right. Yes Snowstorm, it was Bill. I don't know who is going to fill his shoes when he retires. Seems like he's the only one who really knows his stuff.

coxy

I know nothing about a 450 but know JUST about everything about  a 350 I have 4 that work and 5 that are in pieces in a container for parts  :)

snowstorm

brake band would come out thru the top. remove roll cage seat platform oil tank comes with it. not real simple

Thank You Sponsors!