iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lift Cable broken

Started by Qweaver, April 18, 2017, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

The lift assist cable broke on my LT28.  I ordered the cable but I do not find instruction for replacing this cable and it appears like it could be a tricky job.  Any hints or instructions appreciated. I sent another post but I must have lost it.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

Wow, dos not look like cable breaks are common.  The manual is pretty skimpy on details.  I'll call tech support in the morning. 
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

timberjackrob

keep us posted on how it goes I also have an lt28 and will probably have to replace cable some day.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Qweaver

OK!  Talked to Marty this AM and I think I have the method worked out.  Going down to pull the lift apart.  I'll have to pull that while mechanism out.  We'll see how it goes.  This will also let me check the cylinders  and replace if needed.  Not a falling off the log (or cheap) repair!
Quinton

Qweaver

Alrightty then!  It was a piece of cake!  I spent 2 hours building a boat winch lift which was totally un-needed.  The book says it weighs 70 lbs and it actually weighs 17 lbs.  Maybe on the big saws but not the LT28.  Ordered parts from Marty and I think the install will be easy also.  Cylinders were OK  The overhead lift may make the re-install a bit easier---so not a total waste.  I was very disappointed with the WM Techs help. And the parts were back ordered. He must have been talking about a different saw with the advice he gave me.  Marty was spot on tho' and had the parts.  Thanks Marty
Now just waiting on parts.
Quinton

Qweaver

Probably not absolutely necessary but I am making a spring clamp for the bottom pulley to keep the cable on the pulley during re-assembly. I will attach a string to the clamp so that I can just pull it off once the cable is fully attached.  Marty said he had to reach up from underneath with a piece  of copper tubing to get the cable back on the pulley.  I'd like to avoid that.  I'd like to hear from other WM Techs on how they do it.  The free cable will almost certainly come off of the lower pulley.  WM could have prevented this problem by putting a U shaped cover over the  pulley.  I may bolt one in place while I have it out.  It would have to be removable or the ends would not pass thru.  Maybe they would---I'll check. 
Quinton

Qweaver

LT28 working again.  Used sewing thread to hold the new cable on the bottom pulley--worked great.  I'll use the old hardware to make up a spare cable.  Thanks Marty at Wood-Mizer Pensylvania for getting the parts to me in one day.  This shut me down for 4 days---1-2 hours if I had a spare cable.  I did not change the cylinders but the saw head seems to work easier.   ::)

Quinton

Qweaver

The failure of this cable shuts you down for at least 4 days.  Maybe not a bad idea to have a spare on the shelf.  I will use the old hardware to make up a spare because I have the tools to do it.  An overhead hoist helps a lot also.

timberjackrob

thanks for all the info Qweaver im sure I will need it some day.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Thank You Sponsors!