iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TJ 225D winch problem

Started by ch53-d, April 18, 2017, 04:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch53-d

New to this site.
I just bought a TJ 225D and I'm working through some small repairs to make it safer; adding fire ext, new seat, chain between cab and roller head, etc. One big problem is getting the winch to work. It worked fine when it was being driven by the previous owned but since it was delivered, I can't get the Hercules winch to power in. I believe I'm not operating the system correctly. This unit has a lever lock installed instead of the standard handle. What is the correct procedure?
Any help would be appreciated.

Puffergas

If I can remember correctly: engage pto behind cab, transfer case in neutral, step on clutch, put transmission in gear, let foot clutch out, pull or push (cannot remember) hydraulic winch valve.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Neilo

Sounds like the transmission is in neutral, maybe. Look to see if the winch input shaft is spinning. If it isn't, see above.

The later PTO don't have the lever. I assume that is what you are talking about.

Hydraulic lever down for free, up to winch. Power in or out depends on forward reverse of transmission.

ch53-d

No "engage lever" behind the cab. (The lever I was speaking about is mounted on the dash and acts like a hyd. lock). The main problem was, the transmission was in neutral; the winch works correctly now. Thank to all for your help.
Considering replacing the main cable as I see a few frayed strands.The winch PTO u-joints, winch drum lock pad and the rear steering pin show signs of wear and could be replaced. Anyone know of a supplier for parts?
(Picture of the skidder to follow).
Again, many thanks to all for your help.

David-L

Welcome, Lots of parts for Jacks around. Depends on where your located though.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

mf40diesel

Harolds logging in Maine. Outside of Bangor is very good. Ask for Randy.

Also, Davco in Farmington, Maine is equally good.

I am about 1/2 thru changing my steering pins/bushes myself. 1/2 way because the ram is at the shop being rebuilt. Bushings out and one of the new ones is in. The slop wasn't as bad as it seemed. But 1/8" on everything magnify up to a lot.

Doing a transfer case leak today.

Good luck
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Thank You Sponsors!