Single blade edger?

Started by OlJarhead, April 18, 2017, 01:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etroup10

Quote from: paul case on April 20, 2017, 08:28:09 AM
Quote from: etroup10 on April 20, 2017, 08:17:45 AM
Quote from: YellowHammer on April 20, 2017, 06:34:14 AM
Quote from: etroup10 on April 19, 2017, 10:10:52 PM
There is a local business that makes a very simple but solid two blade edger for $5800.
Who?

They are called Riehl edgers. I believe they are Mennonite but they do have a listing on eBay. I have the contact info on my old phone. I know two guys that have them and are pretty happy with them!

I looked at those in the past. Do they have powered feed?

PC
I'm 99% sure they do. Both the guys I know with them work alone and I doubt they would be wanting to push flitches through all day haha
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

paul case

I am certain if I was the only one edging a single would be my choice. Here is why.

You dont have to let go of the board and when edging you can walk beside the edger and bring the boad back to edge  the other side if needed on the rollers beside the blade. That would be less walkinh than going all the way around to the other end and fetching the board back. They go pretty fast.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

etroup10

Quote from: Magicman on April 20, 2017, 09:02:09 AM
Riehl Edger
Nice find magicman. I didn't realize they had a website now! I saw that it's listed just under $5000. Don't know if the one on eBay had a bigger engine or what.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

John S

Riehl Edgers, good looking, uncomplicated machines at very affordable prices.  Any owners here?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

thecfarm

WOW!! That one looks small compared to this.
Thomas edger
That explains the price diffeance.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

That Reihl is a nice, compact unit, and at a really good price!
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

The Thomas edger looks like a very nice machine as well! I'm thinking my WM would be happy to feed either ;)
Too many irons in the fire

VictorH

Another idea would be to buy an edger, use it on this large job to improve production, quality, and the back.  Then turn around and sell it.  If you buy used you just might be able to re-coup the entire price.  If you spend say 5K on a new unit and get 4K when finished out of it, would that be worth it to you?

Victor

Kbeitz

Wow... I'm surprised that I never heard of them. They are made in
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, and that's only 20 miles from me.

Darin – (570) 713-0665

Riehl Steel, LLC
95 Cedar Drive
Lewisburg PA 17837
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bruno of NH

That's a nice edger at a good price .
I don't go mobile and I'm in the market for one
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

steve marek

I have woodmizer e50 edger I use on my jobs would not be without save time can cut stickers  wood can be stack right off the mill  and no edgeing on mill
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

WV Sawmiller

Steve,

Are you stationary or sawing mobile?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

reswire

I've heard the single blade edgers are difficult to use, if you are edging boards over 10'.  Anyone found this to be true?  I've looked at both single and double, and the Riehl edger is tough to beat at it's price.  It is power fed, but the table doesn't look to durable. ???
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

steve marek

I'm am Mobile it fits in the back of box of truck I have 6 ft box it brake down not to bad to handle
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

4x4American

Jarhead- How long are you edging?  If you're cutting 20' stuff, I end up cutting the boards in half before edging.  I don't like to edge over 14' long stuff and especially with a single blade you're gonna have to pass each board back
Boy, back in my day..

MikeON

I use an old WM single-blade edger beside my LT40HD Super.  Except for very heavy flitches like 16' long, etc. 
The carbide blade lasts a long time between sharpening and I figure it saves blade life and engine hours on the mill.  A lot of engine idling time while stacking and flipping flitches on the mill.
I usually turn the log 90° at a time, and take off slabs/flitches just deep enough so that it will make a straight edge when I start milling the next face.
That way, only the first few flitches (from the opening face of the log), need to go through the edger twice.
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

OlJarhead

Usually edging long stuff.  On this job it will be 12' min with most at 17.5'
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

DDW_OR

i did not want to hijack your thread so i am asking my question here about edging against the cant
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=95815.new#new
"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!