iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hiab Knuckle boom

Started by dwchaisson, April 18, 2017, 12:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwchaisson

Has anyone or does anybody know anyone who may have put a grapple on a HIAB knuckle boom. I purchased ont over the weekend and wondering how well this will work before i start the project
homemade skidder, homemade band mill, home made log loader and trailer, 1993 ford 1 ton,1996 Chevy 1Ton dump, 2010 john deere 5065M with loader, 1987 trackless with blower, 576 husky,565 husky 372husky, homemade processor in the build stage, 900 david brown. 2 fordson majors. Life Long Collector

longtime lurker

So long as its plumbed for it, its no problem. Plumbed for grapple plus rotator is better.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

bushmechanic

The issue with using a Hiab for a wood loader will be reach unless it has an extendable jib. As longtime lurker said you will need a valve to support two extra functions, rotator and grab cylinder. What do you propose to mount this loader on a trailer or machine, used for the road or in the woods? 

dwchaisson

Thanks for the replies, Its not plumbed for grapple or rotator, it does have a 3 stage extendable jib, Im not sure weather I want it on a trailer or truck yet, likely trailer, I already have my own grapple trailer now, this project is more for a friend of mine that wants his own. my biggest concern is will the boom and post handle the abuse of the woods!
homemade skidder, homemade band mill, home made log loader and trailer, 1993 ford 1 ton,1996 Chevy 1Ton dump, 2010 john deere 5065M with loader, 1987 trackless with blower, 576 husky,565 husky 372husky, homemade processor in the build stage, 900 david brown. 2 fordson majors. Life Long Collector

lopet

Knuckle booms are meant to load or unload individual items at different locations. For steady use like loading logs they're way too sloooooooooow.
Unless you manage to get rid off all the restrictions, or you won't be a happy camper.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

dwchaisson

Quote from: lopet on April 20, 2017, 07:54:50 PM
Knuckle booms are meant to load or unload individual items at different locations. For steady use like loading logs they're way too sloooooooooow.
Unless you manage to get rid off all the restrictions, or you won't be a happy camper.
That's a very valid point, I will take that into consideration for sure!

Riwaka

It depends on the model of Hiab and what you are trying to achieve with it. You can look up the specs of quite a few older model Hiabs online. The Hiab should have a model tag somewhere on it with a few details unless it has been removed or damaged.

longtime lurker

Quote from: lopet on April 20, 2017, 07:54:50 PM

Depends on the knuckle boom. We hire in a guy occasionally and he can load a truck as quick as anything... but its one helluva big crane. He can also load logs that no log loader crane would look at: 45' long logs that sit around the 5t each mark and he just pulls in besides them, hits his scale weight in 4 or 5 logs in about 10 minutes, chains her down and... gone.

As with most things "size matters".
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!