iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1975 Case 990 w/FEL

Started by Deese, April 17, 2017, 05:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

Quote from: Deese on April 21, 2017, 10:01:01 PM
Kbeitz, I will do that tomorrow. We've got a decent chance of rain tomorrow night. The guy had it under a metal carport type deal, but there's no telling what's all down in there. I'm going to change all the fluids on this thing and replace all the filters and hoses, weld and brace the loader arms, put some forks on the front and weight on the back, and take it from there.
This is a VERY good idea and plan.  Many of these fluids are neglected and you'll be wondering how it functioned so well with the oils looking so bad.  Large chunks of cast iron like the cases on your tractor are good for condensation.  A bunch of years of sweating will turn new oil into caramel milk looking crap.  Weird thing is, things last a long time this way with no damage to gears or bearings.  I've never seen damage from even the nastiest looking oil, just from lack of oil or abuse like jamming and slamming gears and such.  The oil is doing its job.  Weird, right?  I miss the days of tinkering and bringing back to life old tractors.  It usually doesn't take much to get them running again, all told.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

whitepine2

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 21, 2017, 08:23:43 PM
Smear a wad of grease on top of your boots until you have time to replace.
This will keep the water out...

Also if you have or can get an old inner tube cut a chunk big enough to cover
boot then make a small hole in center with a gasket punch smaller than the shaft
take knobs off and slip rubber over and down. This has worked for me on M Farmall
for years use a tractor tire tube as they are thicker. This is also good to cover hydraulic valves keeps out dirt and keep them dry and rust free pretty good hope
this helps.      W.C.W

Deese

Potentially very bad news. It looks like I'm about to get in deep with this tractor. Yesterday I made sure all the fluid levels were good and then played around on it moving logs around for about an hour or so...but I think I have a failing head gasket. But that's not all...I checked the oil this morning and it showed about an inch over full. Couldn't smell diesel fuel though..BUT I haven't lost any water or hydraulic fluid other than the leaking fitting. So, I just ran it for another 45 minutes or so and am now letting everything settle for a few hours and then rechecking all fluids. Looks like I will be ordering a manual tomorrow. I could say a lot more here about how I feel about...aww heck nevermind. I've always wanted to learn how to work on an old tractor, so here's my opportunity.  HA!  :P
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Bandmill Bandit

Hey Deese

Those were not a bad tractor series. Hydrualics did leaved a bit to be desired and had a few other potential issues IF the service manual procedures and specs got ignored or missed during reassembly.

990/995 are pretty much the same tractor. I could probably tear one one down and put it back together in my sleep. We put just over 14000 hours on the one we had before we retired it for biggar HP.

Mine was a 1975 995 as well. I will check with my Dad and see if the service manual is still in the cupboard in the shop. If it is I will let you know.       
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Deese

Thank You Sir.
Being a 42 year old well used tractor, I fully expected to have issues and they aren't too expensive to work on. I just didn't expect it to be "making oil" as fast as it is. I just checked the oil level and it has risen about another half inch just after 45 minutes of putting around. I'm hoping it doesn't have a cracked head. But it's getting fixed no matter what.

Its blowing oil so I'm going to rebuild the engine...I'll probably end up making this thing like new before it's over with.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song "one piece at a time"
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I could easily drain some oil and wipe the manifold and exhaust pipe clean and sell it to someone like me who was really in need of a tractor. Breaking even would be almost effortless. In fact, I could profit around $1k if I really cleaned her up. But you know what? That's not how I operate. I probably still would have bought it knowing what I know now. This will be a fun project.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Ox

Is the hydraulic fluid dropping about as much as the engine oil is rising?  The common mating at the split might be allowing fluid exchange from bad seals.  I'm not sure on that machine.  Just something to think about that might be causing your oil to rise.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Deese

I was thinking it was hyd fluid because I can't smell diesel in the oil. But, the hyd fluid level as not dropped...well maybe a tad because of a hyd leak on a hose connection. I'm gonna fix the hyd leak this week to remove all doubt but I'm thinking it's just gotta be diesel fuel. An injector has been replaced and maybe it wasn't installed correctly. Man I sure dont know..
Cooks AE4P Edger

paul case

Quite a few case tractors have a seperate pump for the power steering that ran off the timing gears. They are notorious for leaking into the crankcase.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bandmill Bandit

Getting hydraulic/trans fluid in the engine oil is pretty tough on that model as it has a double dry clutch in a dry bell housing. How ever having said that some of them had a power steering system with a gear driven pump on the front right side if I remember correctly. The seal in that pump was good for about 2500 to 3000 hours and it is not a difficult fix. That is what I would be looking at, BUT you should be noticing some difficulty in the steering. I think it holds about a gallon of fluid once it is right full.     
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on April 20, 2017, 02:00:12 PM
A hole/crack in the diaphragm will also cause fuel to be pumped into the crankcase.
Don't expect to smell it.  Check/replace that primer pump.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

The power steering pump is on the left side if sitting in the seat. I will take a pic of it in the morning before work if I remember to...which I wont. It whines a bit when turning but I don't believe the fluid is low. I would bet everything that it's diesel. We WILL find out soon.
Cooks AE4P Edger

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Magicman on April 23, 2017, 10:03:02 PM
Quote from: Magicman on April 20, 2017, 02:00:12 PM
A hole/crack in the diaphragm will also cause fuel to be pumped into the crankcase.
Don't expect to smell it.  Check/replace that primer pump.
im with mm check/change the primer pump that is about the only thing that can fill the engine :) if it diesel the oil will be thin but no smell of diesel if it was water/antifreeze from a head gasket or something the oil would be gray  and the power steering pump cant add enough to notice it unless you are constantly adding oil to it :) unless i have forgotten how they are setup i dont think the actual hyd oil can get into the engine on that tractor :)
those lift pumps are a very common problem on every make of tractor i personally have had them bad on ford  mf international and a old case tractor  the one on the little international tractor went bad while cutting hay and was blowing oil/fuel out the dipstick by lunch :o
the only other thing i know of that can put that much fuel in the oil is the front seal on injector pump had that happen on our 285 mf one time but it is not near as common as as the lift pump :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Deese

You guys are the best. This is a new world to me so I've got much to learn.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I'm not afraid to admit that I did not even know what a lift pump was until I just googled it. Now I know exactly what you are talking about.
Yes, that thing is leaking fuel all around it. A slow drip. The entire side of the tractor is wet with fuel from where it's dripping.
Cooks AE4P Edger

yukon cornelius

That would be my first thing to replace or fix also. It would take quite a bit of diesel to overcome the smell of oil at least that has been my experience with them. A lot of injector pumps really dont like low fuel pressure either.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Bandmill Bandit

With the lift pump always wet with fuel Id say it about a 99% chance its that little pump. I'd just replace it. They were not expensive back in the days of that tractor and not a hard fix either.

Deese

I found them online today for under $30.
I'm going to check it out real good tonight and order one tomorrow.
Cooks AE4P Edger

currantvt

Congratulations on your purchase , these are a great tractor but like all machines they suffer with lack of care, I have a 880 that my Father bought new in 1967 -   only things that have been changed are the lift pump and water pump, it could do with a head job and injectors serviced but still starts and runs pretty good. If yours is smoking it could well do with just a good workout, glazed bores, get the lift pump and filters changed, there is a fine gauze filter on the pipe as it goes in to the injection pump which is frequently missed. The main cause of problems on these David Browns is the hydraulic system, it doesnt cope with dirt or water in the oil so do change the filter under the belly of the tractor when you change the oil . There is a very good owners group at dbtc dot com and they have answered just about every question you can imagine.

Deese

Ok thank ya sir. I bought 5 gallons of hyd/transmission oil the other day when I got the motor oil.
I'll try ordering the hydraulic filter along with the lift pump tomorrow.
It's got plenty of hyd oil in it now, so I will just wait and change it until I get the filter.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Took these pics this morning.
About to buy one online, along with a hydraulic filter.

Cooks AE4P Edger

paul case

That power steering pump probably has a filter in it too.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!