iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1975 Case 990 w/FEL

Started by Deese, April 17, 2017, 05:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

Good for you on the tractor!  Also my oldest boy just turned 3.  I know what you mean there. 

Does the fuel leak when shut off or only under pressure?  If the former, there may be a shut off valve that will get you by until fixed.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Deese

I just checked it (still sitting on trailer) and it's a slow drip. I'll see if there's a cutoff valve. Thank you sir
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

luvmexfood

Just wait till he gets to set on the seat the first time.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Ox

Those older diesels have the fuel pump (lots of times called the lift pump or transfer pump) just to get fuel from the tank to the injector pump.  Most times they're not even needed since the fuel tank is higher than the injector pump and will gravity feed, plus the pump sucks the fuel quite a ways.  They're mainly there for extreme angles on a low fuel level and more constant fuel pressure for the injector pump to stay happy.  They are rebuildable for not much money at all.  Usually with a diaphragm (I just call it the rubber) and a spring and gasket or similar and sometimes come with the actuating arm or pushrod.  Try tightening the screws around the body of the pump.  Check the fittings in and out of the pump.  Sometimes you have to take them out and put some teflon tape on them and tighten them up so they don't leak next to the pump body.  Check the fuel lines in and out at the pump for old, cracked rubber lines and loose clamps.  Lots of times a new clamp on an old hose will leak right where the slots are for the worm screw of the hose clamp cause it cracks and tears the old rubber.  Also be careful it's not leaking into your engine oil - it'll dilute and fill up too full and cause all sorts of problems.  But you'll have shiny engine internals!

I would absolutely recommend at least an owner's manual for maintenance purposes.  I'm not sure if your injector pump needs the (separate) oil changed/checked in it or not, like the older Ford tractors did.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

A hole/crack in the diaphragm will also cause fuel to be pumped into the crankcase.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

I thought I said that.  ???
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Deese

I had about 10 minutes of daylight remaining yesterday afternoon to jump on it and push a few logs around... This thing has been used and abused but I think it is just what I need for what I'll be using it for.

Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to check everything out better, but bream fishing with my little man has top priority  8)
I definitely need to get new shift lever boots. They aren't too bad, but need replacing. 
I was glad to discover that the hyd leak on the center front cylinder isn't coming from the seal, just where the hose connects to the top of the cylinder. If anything gets addressed this weekend, it will be the hyd leak.

I will take some pictures this weekend.

Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Just before I hauled it home the other day...

Cooks AE4P Edger

Ox

That really is going to be a handy machine.  Nice find!  I wish I had one just like it.

Deese

Quote from: Ox on April 21, 2017, 10:06:06 AM
That really is going to be a handy machine.  Nice find!  I wish I had one just like it.

It's for sale!!! ;D
Cooks AE4P Edger

Ox

Deese

The loader arms aren't in the best shape and need some work. I'm going to get this thing rock solid again before lifting anything heavy. I found a set of forks yesterday and will get them made to fit directly onto the loading arms.
Cooks AE4P Edger

TKehl

For rear weight, a brush hog works good.  Most people that have a tractor find they should also have a brush hog as well anyway.

If it sticks out too far on the back, a carryall or blade with weights works well.  I've seen people put 3 point connections on a plastic barrel of concrete.  I think half barrels of concrete with a rebar loop to pick up with the loader then placed securely in the carry all would be more versatile.  Water also works well as long as the barrel is full to prevent sloshing. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Deese

Yes sir I am planning on using the barrel/concrete for rear weight. Even a small brush hog is going to be getting in the way.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Hilltop366

If you can, make your forks so they fit on the back as well for the things that are too heavy for the front.

yukon cornelius

I just picked these up for my no name loader. They are made for 3pt but will easily adapt for my front. Not as heavy as fork lift forks but at $100 and two miles from home I feel good about them.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Deese

Quote from: Hilltop366 on April 21, 2017, 11:59:41 AM
If you can, make your forks so they fit on the back as well for the things that are too heavy for the front.
Heck yeah, I found 4 forks yesterday in a guy's back yard and I think I can get them for super cheap. It's just the forks with no plate or anything welded to them. So, I can make a separate set if necessary.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Yukon--Nice Find Brother!!!
Cooks AE4P Edger

WDH

A heavy duty box blade on the rear for a counterweight is nice as you can use the box blade to drag the sawdust away from the mill when it builds up so high that you cannot walk on it anymore :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Deese

Hmmm...maybe that's the way to do. In fact, I know where there's one sitting nearby.  ??? ::)
Cooks AE4P Edger

Kbeitz

Smear a wad of grease on top of your boots until you have time to replace.
This will keep the water out...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Deese

Kbeitz, I will do that tomorrow. We've got a decent chance of rain tomorrow night. The guy had it under a metal carport type deal, but there's no telling what's all down in there. I'm going to change all the fluids on this thing and replace all the filters and hoses, weld and brace the loader arms, put some forks on the front and weight on the back, and take it from there.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

And replace all the grease fittings.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

If I only had a Forestry Forum Sticker... :(
Cooks AE4P Edger

trapper

Quote from: Deese on April 21, 2017, 10:02:32 PM
If I only had a Forestry Forum Sticker... :(
I think Jeff still sells them
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!