The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: 1975 Case 990 w/FEL  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
Re: 1975 Case 990 w/FEL
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 11:47:05 pm »
kensfarm- I think they are just used car tires.
Let the adventures begin   :)
Sawed 4 years with EZ Boardwalk Jr 13hp. I now have a 2004 LT40HDD51. Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, Cooks Single Tooth Setter, a bunch of chainsaws, and an old chocolate lab.

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 11:57:08 pm »
I know I haven't addressed all the questions that have been asked. My apologies--it's almost 11pm here and I'm whooped. I hope to be putting around on my new tractor by lunch. The Forestry Forum is a great resource, folks. Good night.
Sawed 4 years with EZ Boardwalk Jr 13hp. I now have a 2004 LT40HDD51. Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, Cooks Single Tooth Setter, a bunch of chainsaws, and an old chocolate lab.

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 11:44:46 am »
Should make you a pretty good tractor. At least the older ones aren't to bad to work on. Now you will find yourself looking at some implements for it. If you take the bucket off and install forks a blade for the back would be handy. Just get a heavy duty one an put some weight on it for a counter balance. Looks like it has one almost new rear tire and the seat is probably newer. No cracks in the vinyl. Thats important if you ever leave it in the rain. Once the foam gets wet and you set on it then the rest of the day you have a wet butt.

If you leave it out get a tarp or something and cover the shift levers. Rain has a way of getting around them.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 12:42:51 pm »
Yup, if the shift lever boots are not new, replace them.  They are easily found with Google and most are interchangeable. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 04:26:59 pm »
I loaded it up this morning and brought it home. I've been preoccupied with other things today (my little man) so I haven't had any time to tinker with it. It's still sitting on the trailer. I did notice that fuel is slowly leaking somewhere around the fuel pump. Not exactly sure where yet. Also have a bad seal on the big hyd cylinder on the front center. Thats all i really know at the moment. My boy tripped earlier (4 years old) playing with our chocolate lab and bumped his upper lip pretty good on the top edge of one of those small propane tanks for a gas grill. Made me cringe...I heard the "donnng" sound when he hit it. Poor little dude...He is okay though, as it could have been so much worse. I held him tight, rocking him until he calmed down enough for me to check him out. All I'm expecting is maybe a little bruising. No loose teeth, just a little red mark. So, he's good to go. We're taking a little nap at the moment, so he will be recharged shortly. He almost never walks...always running. You cannot turn your back on him for a second, or buddy, he's getting into Lord knows what. He is so proud of "Daddy's tractor". He already knows that what's mine is also his. So, he looked at me and asked, "my tractor?", and I said "Yes Sir, it's John Parker's and Daddy's tractor". He grinned from ear to ear. Made my day.

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 05:24:22 pm »
Good for you on the tractor!  Also my oldest boy just turned 3.  I know what you mean there. 

Does the fuel leak when shut off or only under pressure?  If the former, there may be a shut off valve that will get you by until fixed.
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 05:34:00 pm »
I just checked it (still sitting on trailer) and it's a slow drip. I'll see if there's a cutoff valve. Thank you sir

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 06:39:47 pm »
Just wait till he gets to set on the seat the first time.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 11:10:03 am »
Those older diesels have the fuel pump (lots of times called the lift pump or transfer pump) just to get fuel from the tank to the injector pump.  Most times they're not even needed since the fuel tank is higher than the injector pump and will gravity feed, plus the pump sucks the fuel quite a ways.  They're mainly there for extreme angles on a low fuel level and more constant fuel pressure for the injector pump to stay happy.  They are rebuildable for not much money at all.  Usually with a diaphragm (I just call it the rubber) and a spring and gasket or similar and sometimes come with the actuating arm or pushrod.  Try tightening the screws around the body of the pump.  Check the fittings in and out of the pump.  Sometimes you have to take them out and put some teflon tape on them and tighten them up so they don't leak next to the pump body.  Check the fuel lines in and out at the pump for old, cracked rubber lines and loose clamps.  Lots of times a new clamp on an old hose will leak right where the slots are for the worm screw of the hose clamp cause it cracks and tears the old rubber.  Also be careful it's not leaking into your engine oil - it'll dilute and fill up too full and cause all sorts of problems.  But you'll have shiny engine internals!

I would absolutely recommend at least an owner's manual for maintenance purposes.  I'm not sure if your injector pump needs the (separate) oil changed/checked in it or not, like the older Ford tractors did.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 02:00:12 pm »
A hole/crack in the diaphragm will also cause fuel to be pumped into the crankcase.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 08:06:01 pm »
I thought I said that.  ???
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 09:35:54 am »
I had about 10 minutes of daylight remaining yesterday afternoon to jump on it and push a few logs around... This thing has been used and abused but I think it is just what I need for what I'll be using it for.

Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to check everything out better, but bream fishing with my little man has top priority  8)
I definitely need to get new shift lever boots. They aren't too bad, but need replacing. 
I was glad to discover that the hyd leak on the center front cylinder isn't coming from the seal, just where the hose connects to the top of the cylinder. If anything gets addressed this weekend, it will be the hyd leak.

I will take some pictures this weekend.

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:20 am »
Just before I hauled it home the other day...

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 10:06:06 am »
That really is going to be a handy machine.  Nice find!  I wish I had one just like it.

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 10:28:00 am »
That really is going to be a handy machine.  Nice find!  I wish I had one just like it.

It's for sale!!! ;D

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 10:30:31 am »
 :D :-X

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 10:34:08 am »
The loader arms aren't in the best shape and need some work. I'm going to get this thing rock solid again before lifting anything heavy. I found a set of forks yesterday and will get them made to fit directly onto the loading arms.

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 10:47:53 am »
For rear weight, a brush hog works good.  Most people that have a tractor find they should also have a brush hog as well anyway.

If it sticks out too far on the back, a carryall or blade with weights works well.  I've seen people put 3 point connections on a plastic barrel of concrete.  I think half barrels of concrete with a rebar loop to pick up with the loader then placed securely in the carry all would be more versatile.  Water also works well as long as the barrel is full to prevent sloshing. 
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 11:15:40 am »
Yes sir I am planning on using the barrel/concrete for rear weight. Even a small brush hog is going to be getting in the way.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 11:59:41 am »
If you can, make your forks so they fit on the back as well for the things that are too heavy for the front.