iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air drying in Reefer Container?

Started by JasonRerras, April 17, 2017, 01:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonRerras

Does anyone have any experience air drying in a Reefer container? Currently sawing a lot of 12/4 slabs, mostly different oaks, and a Cherry, and have them stacked outside, but I also have a 53' Reefer that I could put them in.  Obviously Sun and Wind exposure are eliminated.   Curious if this would be beneficial in any way?
MS880 60" CSM and stuff

Farmerjw

Had a buddy with a sawmill until his divorce.  :o

Anyway, he had two reefer trailers set up with solar fans at the top of the walls of the trailer (two on each side, staggered).  Vents at the bottom of the two doors with sliding door to impede air flow.  Seemed like he was handling wood all the time, but it worked well for him.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Den Socling

That sounds like a good idea. It would basically be a predryer if the sun added a little heat during the day and the fans moved enough air and you had that sliding door to regulate airflow and you knew what air flow was in there and it was flowing evenly through out the load and and and......... ;)

JasonRerras

Hahaha, yea, it could get complicated real quick!  Need to get a thermometer in there and see what the temperature cycles look like.  The idea right now is to air dry to EMC then go to a Solar or DH kiln.  I figure I have two+ years to come up with a plan or find some investors to buy a Vac Kiln  ;D
MS880 60" CSM and stuff

Farmerjw

Quote from: Den Socling on April 17, 2017, 03:58:54 PM
That sounds like a good idea. It would basically be a predryer if the sun added a little heat during the day and the fans moved enough air and you had that sliding door to regulate airflow and you knew what air flow was in there and it was flowing evenly through out the load and and and......... ;)

Yes, I forgot to add that he had painted them flat back and they were hot inside!
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Darrel

Reefers function well as kilns but are not the easiest to load and unload.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Tree Dan

Quote from: Darrel on April 22, 2017, 06:42:57 PM
Reefers function well as kilns but are not the easiest to load and unload.

Cut the ends out of them and run a rail track through the box.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Thank You Sponsors!