iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawmill shack

Started by fishfighter, April 17, 2017, 11:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Ummm, just so we don't take that and run the wrong way with it. A nail driven into green wood, that then dries, loses 30% of its' lateral shear strength and 75% of its withdrawal strength. Ring or spiral shanks or Ardox nails help especially in withdrawal.

thecfarm

I had a friend help me put up green hemlock 2x6 for the Woman Cave. He is no longer my friend.  :D  But than I had him help me put some up that I had sticked for a couple week............ and he's my friend again. He was shocked and happy how light they was.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishfighter

Quote from: Don P on August 04, 2017, 08:38:53 PM
Ummm, just so we don't take that and run the wrong way with it. A nail driven into green wood, that then dries, loses 30% of its' lateral shear strength and 75% of its withdrawal strength. Ring or spiral shanks or Ardox nails help especially in withdrawal.

I am using ring shank nails and construction glue on all joints.

fishfighter

Got out early this morning and was hopping to get the rafter trusses done today. Just super hot to start with. :o Got 5 out of the 8 that I need done and then the skies open up. :( Kind of sad, but it was at the point I would do one and then have to take a 15 minute break. :o I still have to install the center piece. Going to get that done maybe tomorrow along with the other three I need to build.

My little sister called and said she had something for me. It was her husbands that never open it. I never drank from a $700 bottle before and I think I sill will not. ;D Kind of rich for my taste. :D

peterpaul

My little sister called and said she had something for me. It was her husbands that never open it. I never drank from a $700 bottle before and I think I sill will not. ;D Kind of rich for my taste. :D

[/quote]

Just pour some in a dixi cup, problem solved you wont be drinking from a $700 bottle :)
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

btulloh

That stuff goes bad over time.  Better drink it.
HM126

fishfighter

Quote from: btulloh on August 06, 2017, 08:42:20 PM
That stuff goes bad over time.  Better drink it.

Heck, I never had a mason jar go bad before. ;D

DanG raining already this morning. :(

fishfighter

Finish up framing the truss I needed in between the rain.  Got half move in place for the lift, but I will need help doing that. So it might not get done till the weekend. :(

A lot more rain in the forcast all week and I need to fire up the mill.

btulloh

It's too bad there's not a market for mold.  :)
HM126

fishfighter

Really. With the sun out for a couple hours, then rain, repeat that 3-4 times a day and you get the mold. It's raining hard right now. :(

Once all up and the roof over it, I will bleach the heck out of it. ;D

BigZ La

Quote from: fishfighter on August 07, 2017, 08:52:27 PM
Really. With the sun out for a couple hours, then rain, repeat that 3-4 times a day and you get the mold. It's raining hard right now. :(

Once all up and the roof over it, I will bleach the heck out of it. ;D

Had the same weather here today Fish. Helped my BIL fix his truck and checked to see if the leak in my mama's house was fixed and then just decided to stay inside the rest of the day.

fishfighter

Yesterday was a rest day. Got out this morning and hung 3 of the 9 rafter truss. Kind of hard doing this by myself. Heard thunder and call it a morning. Besides, heat index is at 100F. :o

Kbeitz

It must have been hot... I count four.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

First one was built in place. ;D And yes, it was supper hot.

fishfighter

Got the last of the rafter trusses up. Took 3 Tee shirts to get it done. :o Nothing like working in mud and wet feet.

Another power outage. >:( DanG  storms every day has been knocking the power off like a third world country. >:(

Maybe tomorrow I will install the end rafter.

Kbeitz

When do you start putting on the thatch?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Still have a bunch of bracing to be done. Used a lot of scrap lumber just to hold things in place that has to be replaced. Hoping I can go pick up the metal roofing next Monday or some time next week. Also I still have to jack up the building to match and install new rafters to match the roof line. Got to run a power line to it also.

Magicman

Quote from: fishfighter on August 10, 2017, 03:03:30 PM
Another power outage. >:( DanG  storms every day has been knocking the power off like a third world country. >:(
Quote from: fishfighter on August 10, 2017, 07:00:11 PMGot to run a power line to it also. 
Sounds like there is no hurry to run the power,  it's gonna be off anyway.   ;D  (sorry, I couldn't resist)   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

That is alright Lynn. I'm never in a hurry to do anything these days. ;D

Now if only the rain would stop. I need to saw up some more lumber. Just to wet to run any equipment to get logs to my mill. Guess it is time to switch back to working on my camp. ;D At lease I would be working inside with the ac blowing. ;D

Darrel

Pardon me, but don't you need power for the AC to be blowing? ??? ??? ???
1992 LT40HD

reelman65

looks awesome!  I love the live edge siding
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Magicman

Paul needs a Power Box Fan !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Quote from: Darrel on August 11, 2017, 10:47:27 AM
Pardon me, but don't you need power for the AC to be blowing? ??? ??? ???

Have genset, have ac. ;D

Got out this morning and just said to myself to hell with building a special rafter truss to finish out. So, I just built a normal truss. ;D I will just fill it in as I need to, to install live edge siding. Then the rain came. :( Already 3 T storms today. Yesterday only had 5 for the day. :( And yes, at 9am, heat index was 99F. :o

Got back on the phone to check on the roofing. Set to pick it up Monday morning. ;D Now only if I can get some 4/4 x4" lumber sawed up this weekend.

Darrel

We get thunderstorms here nearly every afternoon and very little rain with them. We call them dry thunderstorms.  Modoc county in California just 30 miles to the south of us had about 70 fires started by lightning a couple of weeks ago. I see thunder heads forming right now and hope I have a place to live tomorrow.  :(
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!