iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawmill shack

Started by fishfighter, April 17, 2017, 11:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

I started this rebuild/build a couple months ago. The building was a free building that I had to move to my place a couple miles away. Well, sometimes free is not all that good. ::)

Once I got the building in place, I had to saw some 6x6x16'. Installed them under to give the building some floor support. Floor joists were 2x6's. :( The building is 14'x 16' wide.

The siding, it's live edge oak. I now have all that done. Installed another window, a regular door on one side and a 5' open that I will install a barn door that will slide on tracks that will be open to the sawmill bay.

Coming off the building, I will be building a section that will be 16' wide and 30' long.

The post will be 6x6's out of oak. Friday, I went and looked at some power poles. They were way to big. Stopped by the lumber company and asked if they had any 6x6's that were damaged. Came away with a couple 8's. Paid a big $7 each. ;D They have some more that I will be picking up. ;D Anyway, sawed them in half then put them on the sawmill and sawed them up like this.

After doing them, I put some 6x6x12' oak beams back on the mill and sawed them on the end to match the treated 6x6's. From there, I applied some roof tar in between the oak and the treated and bolted them together.

I have to do 4 more like them.

The bays that will be coming off the main building will be set on one side, 12' and then 18'. The 18' span is were I will be having the mill set up at and I will be able to load thru there.

I was going to saw up a beam to span that 18', but the size is longer then what I can mill. :( So I started building a header today. This is 15"x18' and is made of oak 2x6's. I will be gluing some 1/2" plywood to the sides. I hope it strong enough for the span.

Now if only the rain would stop for a couple days. Got some heavy down pours the last two with a lot more to come. :(

Magicman

running-doggy  The header should work if the dog can figure out a way to get it up there!   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

That is my old pup. Only thing she can climb is her food bowl. :D She is 11 years old and as my grandson says, "she is broken". Was hit by a car over 8 years ago. >:( She still gets around. ;D

Installed plywood to one side of that header. Raining now.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

That header will be strong enough to hold up the roof + whatever else you want to hang from it.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

BigZ La

YOu've got it looking pretty good Fish, hope all goes well.

fishfighter

I have 4 of the post set in the ground. There is nothing good working in mud.

Did the mistake of driving my backhoe over a spot that I dug up a stump. >:( Ended up having to dig out the backhoe. And yes, that is the stump. :)

Crusarius

Do you have any information on what you used and how you built that header. I like that alot and may do the same thing for my shop build.

barbender

I stepped in one of my filled stump holes a few days back. Rolled my ankle over and sprained it really bad. I'm finally getting back to limping around slowly👎 I'm watching your progress here closely, I need to put up a saw shed myself and I'd like to get started on it soon.
Too many irons in the fire

fishfighter

Quote from: Crusarius on April 20, 2017, 12:30:06 PM
Do you have any information on what you used and how you built that header. I like that alot and may do the same thing for my shop build.

It is all framed out of 2x6's. This one is 15" wide by 18' long. I did the outside frame, then came back sawing boards at a 45 degree angle. I started installing them at the ends and worked my way to the center. You do want to make sure all the center boards are the same. If one is longer then the rest, that will throw everything off. I did install some 1/2" plywood that is glued and screwed on.

Oh, DanG rain again this afternoon that came down in buckets. :( I'm trying to get this building up before the summer heat hits.

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on April 17, 2017, 01:58:07 PM
running-doggy  The header should work if the dog can figure out a way to get it up there!   ;D

Well, no help from the dog, but have backhoe and things go up. ;D

And my new toy. ;D

Mt plans change a bit. I will be building another header like the first. I will be building some headers that will go across. I planning on installing a rail system and will need extra support.

nativewolf

Fishfighter- I can tell you why you are having a problem with mud- your dam is too low.  Just increase the height of the pond dam by 2'; this will cause your entire yard to become pond, thus solving your mud problem.  Sometimes it is the simple things that are staring you in the face that are hard to see. 

After that, just float that nice new header over to the bay and I'll swing by in my john boat and pull it up to Virginia.  See...waste not want not. 

On a serious note (I hate to do it) that is a nice looking header.  Made me look at some engineering tables.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Also, I am not an engineer but does that header have enough support moving the load to the post?  If so that is an interesting trick.
Liking Walnut

Magicman

What beam?  I am admiring that shiny new Logrite!!   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Quote from: nativewolf on April 22, 2017, 08:57:11 PM
Also, I am not an engineer but does that header have enough support moving the load to the post?  If so that is an interesting trick.

I don't have any snow load here as y'all have to build that into your buildings. I will be adding some 6x6's at a 45 degree angle from the post up to the bottom of the header. That is the reason I didn't cover up one side with plywood yet. I will be bolting in the 45's. Once that is done, I will add more plywood to the other side. That will beef up that header even more. Another reason as to why I didn't install plywood was I needed a way to bolt the header to the post. I installed three 1/2" bolts per side. The roofing, I will be building truss for that.

When I installed the header, I made the mistake of dropping the backhoe boom down hard on the header. Just knew something screwed up, but nothing happen. :o I mean I put down a lot of force. :o Yep, was a dumb out on my part. ;D

MM, my dear wife gave me that new toy because a couple weeks ago I showed up at the house all bloody busting my butt loading a log and my cant hook didn't hold. ;D

Don P

I remember a plywood box header pamphlet, maybe on apawood.org. Lots of nails, something like 3" centers on them. Screws tend to be brittle where nails are ductile steel. An LVL solves those kind of span problems easier and better in snow country.

Here's an old thread;
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,19423.msg278254.html#msg278254

4x4American

Nice header, I don't think that thing is going anywhere, especially with the plywood.  Over built is an understatement IMO
Boy, back in my day..

fishfighter

Thanks Don, going to read up on that.

Got the second header done today. Kind of cool out there for the glue to dry, so I will hang it tomorrow.

Oh, the screws thru the plywood are just to suck up in bind the plywood and glue.

Darrel

Awesome, now I know how to make headers. Ain't the Forestry Forum great!
1992 LT40HD

fishfighter

Quote from: Darrel on April 23, 2017, 07:37:35 PM
Awesome, now I know how to make headers. Ain't the Forestry Forum great!

Look around you at old school bridges. That should give you ideas as to how things work when they bolted them together before concrete.

fishfighter

Got the second header up this morning and had to call it a day. :(

Magicman

But a good day it was.   8)

fishfighter

Sure as heck it was nice. By Friday, the temp is going to be hitting 90. :o

fishfighter

Well this project has been sitting on the back burner. :(

been sawing up true 2x6's for the rafters. Yes green SYP and heavy, but got a start back on this project today. ;D Pre cut everything on the ground and hung everything in the air. :o Really hard doing this all by yourself, but I got this done today.

As far as the tresses, they were fine. No sagging. ;D

Reason as to why I installed the ceiling joist like I did was because I will be installing a Ibeam that will have a trolley system to run on. Also, it is way high enough that I can use and park my backhoe under it.

There will be extra bracing in the future. That is all planed out. All other trusses will be built on the ground and lifted up with my backhoe.

Also, my take using green SYP. I used it in the pass and found that as it dries and shrinks, everything gets even tighter. ;D Only real problem besides a little mold is that it's extra heavy. In fact these boards I sawed over a week ago had lost a bunch of water weight in that time.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!