iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where do you get, and what do pay for seedlings? And what do you plant?

Started by 20ozjolt, April 17, 2017, 03:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

20ozjolt

Im in the PNW, up here the best i have found (advertised) is a wholesaler that does public sales once a year... avredge prices for forest stock seem to be arround .70 to 1.00 per tree (non commercial being less then 500 per order) commercial seems to have minimum orders of 2k and above...

I did just get 250 douglas fir bare root seedlings for 80- that were left overs from another persons planting... they are all in dirt now.

What are yall finding and where do you get them.... i want to plant some more before spring is over...

What do you grow?

Part of me wants to just try to do seeds in an acre and see how that goes....

BradMarks

There is a website specific to your needs:  forestseedlingnetwork.com   
This is regional and should be able to help you.  It is late in the year, you may need to order trees for next year.

pine

Agree with Brad on forestseedlingnetwork.com. 
In Washington the state DNR has their own nursery and I frequent it as well as others.  Depending upon where you are in Oregon there are many nurseries that you can go to for your specific seed zone.  Oregon may have a similar state run nursery as Washington does but  you would need to check.

Near Springfield and and Cottage Grove there is Kintigh's which I have found provide good stock.  Two brothers I believe one runs Springfield the other Cottage Grove or something like that.  I have purchased from them since 2012 off and on.
Near Silver Falls, Oregon there is another place that I will not name here (PM for more info) but I would not buy their stock.

In answer to your cost question, I paid as little as 0.44 and up to 0.56 this year.  Cost are just skyrocketing but so is everything else.  Those prices are for amounts of 1000 seedlings. I have not seen price reduction for amounts in excess of 1000 until you start having the nurseries plant seeds for you on contract in quantities that are very large (6 digits) Remember though, pricing varies depending upon species and stock type (P+1, 1+1, 2+0 P+0, etc)

One thing that small forest landowners can do is band together to get a better price.  i.e. If you want 500 DF and I want 500 DF we order together to get the per 1000 pricing.  Working together has help many folks out on the pricing.

Depending upon where you are (elevation and such) it is getting really late for planting.  Next two weeks at most they need to be in the ground.  This year many folks are behind due to the snows and that has extended the planting somewhat.

If you have not looked at it; look at the NRCS EQIP program.  You can get cost share grants that help offset some of the cost if you qualify.  The program may not survive the budget cuts but it is still alive and well at the moment.

TKehl

Ditto on your state nursery since it sounds like you have one.

In MO they get real cheap.  Like $.16 each for 100+ in bundles of 25.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

20ozjolt

I'm done for the seedlings this year. All of the comercal selling is over and I know it was late I wasnt planning on starting this year after the tractor died during the winter but I couldent pass up 250 for 80-. Heck I hadnt even ordered a dibble yet. I do have a few odball trees to put in the "garden" area i think one is an arazona blue spruce....

Im at 750 ft east of portland on the way to hood.

Thank you all for that info. Ill look into them so I can order in advance like a normal person for next year.

Do you all prefer plug or bare root?

What are some good veneer species for this area?

For the folks in othet parts what do you do ?

pine

DF     1+1
WWP  P+1
WRC  P+1
PP      Super Cell Plug or P+1

It depends upon what you want and what works for you in your zone and site condtions.  What I listed above is the stock I use for the species listed.

20ozjolt

Guessing at newb translations

Douglass fir
Western white pine???
Western res ceader
Ponderosa Pine

1+1 p+1 supercell ? Generations of selected seeds?

BradMarks

1+1 : bareroot, grown one season in the ground, lifted,trimmed, replanted. Meant for increased root growth and larger tree.  P+1 : grown as a container cell in greenhouse(plug <P>), then transplanted outside in the ground. Same objective as before.  Super cell : a large container cell (bigger tree) for areas a bare root tree is not the best (think rocky).

pine

Below is a summary of seedling stock types that I cut and pasted from the state DNR site.
Credit to WA DNR Website.  Their procedures for their product.  Different Nurseries may have a slightly different protocol

Seedling Stock Types (Summary) 

1+1 
This term designates a seedling grown for one year in a seedbed, harvested, root pruned to five inches and transplanted back into a nursery bed at approximately six seedlings per square foot. The transplanting process results in a larger caliper and a more fibrous root system. The seedling will have more side branching, with a minimum of 10 inches in height and 4 millimeters in caliper Douglas-fir 1+1 and 2+0 (stem diameter at the root collar). The root system on a 1+1 plus the extra storage of food in the caliper and root system will allow the seedling to survive on an infertile site, compete with other vegetation and give it a better chance of surviving browse damage.

2+0 
This designates a seedling that was grown at approximately 25 seedlings per square foot in the seedling bed and grown in the field for two years (never transplanted). After two years the seedling is ready for out plant. The production costs are low because the seedling had not been lifted, packed and transplanted as in all of the transplant stock types. The root systems on such stock type are pruned horizontally in the ground at a six-inch depth and vertically between each row at the end of the first growing season. These cultural activities encourage branching of the remaining roots and promote more fibrous roots required for out planting survival. This stock type will survive in a site that has low competing vegetation and minimal levels of animal browsing.

Plug (P or S-8)
This is a seedling grown in a greenhouse in containers that are narrow and deep. For some species, this stock type reduces the time between request and out plant. For some species, growing plug stock type is necessary due to low germination and early growth. Various sizes of containers are available but the target is a styro-2A (two cubic inch containers) if the seedling will be used for a Plug+1 stock type. A styro-10 will be used if the seedling will be used for out planting.

Plug+1 (P+1) 
After growing in the greenhouse for a year, the seedling is extracted from the container, root pruned at 5 inches and transplanted in a nursery bed at approximately six seedlings per square foot. As with the 1+1, the root pruning and transplanting generates a larger caliper stem and more mass in the root system. Cedar, hemlock, larch and some species of pine and true firs are propagated as Plug+1.

Plug+1/2 (P+1/2)
Like the P+1, this stocktype combines greenhouse and bareroot phases, but the process is completed in one year instead of two. Seedlings are started in late winter in the greenhouse in small containers (2 cubic inches or smaller). In early summer, seedlings are transplanted into nursery beds at approximately six seedlings per square foot. The early start and low transplant density allow for the production of a relatively large seedling in a short amount of time.

forgeblast

We have some property enrolled in CREP (conservation reserve enhancement program). I have had excellent results from Lawyer Nursery.  Great variety and excellent product.  

20ozjolt

Pine: thanks for the info for  Kintigh's got 250 red cedars p+1  from them and all were better then advertised. also so far this year i did 320 Douglass Fir and 125 ponderosa from Weyerhaeusers annual public sale. 

Im probably done planting this year... way better then last lol. 

yay for less taxes

Forgeblast thanks for that ill look into CREP  

forgeblast

Forgeblast thanks for that ill look into CREP  

Its a great program, and its run by the dept of ag.  We enrolled a bit more then two acres of eroding pasture land that really was a pain to mow.  We were given 1/2 the cost of the trees, 1/2 the cost of the tubes, and 1/2 the cost of the labor and for the next 15 years we will be paid a rental.  
I did all the installation my self on a 15'x15' grid and then was able to spray for the next couple of years to control weeds (they paid for it). 
If your going to do it, get tubex tubes they ware worth it.  Much better then blue-x.  
I am reusing the tubes now since its about 6-7 years we are enrolled in crep.  Plus the rental fee they pay me I buy seedlings from our conservation district every year to help reforest parts of our land.  
The tubes are helpful for keeping the deer off but needed to keep the voles from destroying the trees.  
best of luck!

Thank You Sponsors!