iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting Bridge

Started by luvmexfood, April 15, 2017, 10:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

:D

Looks like someone had a little extra time on their hands. Oh. And an old school bus.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

newoodguy78

That's clever right there. Certainly different than the covered bridges in my area ;D ;

thecfarm

A very good idea. Must of took something to get that over the brook.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Quote from: thecfarm on April 16, 2017, 07:25:28 AM
A very good idea. Must of took something to get that over the brook.  ;)

I bet someone was driving that old bus across an old bridge
and the bridge broke and they just left it there.  smiley_whacko
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

What kind of brain would look at a bus and think "that would make a great bridge"?

red

I know of a train car used for a bridge. Its in an older private community in the Poconos. If you Google train car bridge there are many pictures. If you Google school bus bridge , you get pictures of school bus accidents on a bridge.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

sandsawmill14

there used to  be a bridge made out of a school bus at the ripley ms flea market but i dont know if it is still there or not ??? :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Jeff

I'm glad I don't need a bridge or that's what Tammy would want!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

Pretty good idea. They like to use old mobile home frames in my neck of the woods. There's an old one on my property that needs to go and I'm seriously thinking about using it for a bridge at my driveway.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

coxy

Quote from: LeeB on April 16, 2017, 11:42:19 AM
Pretty good idea. They like to use old mobile home frames in my neck of the woods. There's an old one on my property that needs to go and I'm seriously thinking about using it for a bridge at my driveway.
just don't put a lot of weight on the mobile home frame they are weak

TKehl

Loving it!

I've seen truck frames decked with wood for ATV bridges.  Being covered, I see this one lasting longer!
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Burlkraft

I like that. It makes a nice covered bridge.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

luvmexfood

Back in 76 I was hunting a rural area that bordered a National Forest. First time I came out of the National Forest and hit private land looked over to the left, middle of nowhere, and there sat a caboose on a short section of track just as long as the caboose. Apparently sometime in the past the RR had trucked it in and set it up for the use of the districts congressman.

Kbeitz

Any title that has Bridge in it has got my attention. I have
built nine bridges on my property...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

luvmexfood

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 17, 2017, 05:24:29 AM

Nice bridge. 8)

Kbeitz

Quote from: luvmexfood on April 17, 2017, 01:06:50 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on April 17, 2017, 05:24:29 AM

Nice bridge. 8)

Thanks...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

When I was a kid, there were a couple swinging bridges close enough that I would be on them at times. I went back to one about 10 years ago and it was still hanging.

Did I say 10 years? I just noticed that my daughter, Jessica, was about 10 or 12. She is now 38!  ???

Kbeitz

We had on in Millville until 1972 when the flood took it away..
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

I had to drive a big Bobcat across a suspension bridge once. Strange experience. When you first drive off the abutment, you drop down and all the slack moves out in front of you like a bow wave. As you reach the middle, you start to climb up the bow in the decking, and when you go past the halfway point, all the slack moves behind you and you drop about two and a half feet. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Den Socling

I notice that the river under the swinging bridge was badly polluted back then. Today it is crystal clear.

Don P

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 17, 2017, 07:51:42 PM
I had to drive a big Bobcat across a suspension bridge once. Strange experience. When you first drive off the abutment, you drop down and all the slack moves out in front of you like a bow wave. As you reach the middle, you start to climb up the bow in the decking, and when you go past the halfway point, all the slack moves behind you and you drop about two and a half feet. :o

I've done a little bridge building with the school kids over creeks, ropes, poles and lashing stuff and ran into this right off the bat. I started looking into it and a suspension bridge uses a deck that is "stiff", that the main cables and hangers then support. This is usually a stiffening truss that is part of the roadway. Without that the nice catenary that distributes the load becomes a staying cable that is much more heavily loaded... yup I parted a couple of ropes  :D. Ropes rather than cables really showed that. For our little bridges scattering poles for the deck that crossed several hangers and lashing them down helped distribute the load better.

http://blueridgediscoverycenter.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=ccc5d9ae79ef5e4481cbfb56d&id=21e6d13ae3&e=da5ffed201

Hmmm, I simply did it with a stiff deck with the kids, missed opportunity, next time we'll do it with a flexible deck, let them see that effect and then do it with a stiffened deck.

samandothers

Great job on the bridge and with the kids!

Don P

Thanks, it's good fun and hopefully us old timers learn something from them along the way  :D.

I'm in Grayson...  I see your in swVA, where are you?

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

Good heavens!  :o That guy was crazy. That was a lot of water ripping underneath even if he survived the fall.

Thank You Sponsors!