iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Throwing a chain

Started by rank, April 15, 2017, 01:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rank

Whenever I throw a chain, a few of the drive teeth get nicked and burred up so they won't fit in the bar.  I smooth out the nicks with a Dremel but this involves a trip to the shop. How do you guys handle this in the woods? File? Spare chain?

celliott

Flat file. Should have one in the kit with a scrench and your round file.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Magicman

That plus I never go to the woods without a spare bar and chain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OH logger

put her back on a little loose and start and rev up the saw for a few seconds shut off and tighten the rest of the way. easy peasy  ;)
john

rank

Quote from: OH logger on April 15, 2017, 04:12:41 PM
put her back on a little loose and start and rev up the saw for a few seconds shut off and tighten the rest of the way. easy peasy  ;)
What am I doing there.. making the chain fit the bar or the bar fit the chain?

DelawhereJoe

I have used a flat file before, it can take some time depending on how many drivers are messed up. A buddy of mine was cutting up a shed at his house one day, yes cutting up his shed, he ended up popping the chain off his bar. It took 30 minutes to repair and sharpen his chain with only files, half of the drive links had some issue. It was a husqvarna chain the vanguard style, sadly the drive links are harder then the cutting teeth.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

bladerunner

how does one throw a chain? i've heard about it.. but it's never happened to me  :laugh:

OH logger

Quote from: rank on April 15, 2017, 09:10:41 PM

makin the chain fir the bar. bars are harder steel I assume
john

ESFted

Not the same 'throwing the chain' that I remember from surveying classes back in the day ;D
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

sawguy21

Quote from: bladerunner on April 16, 2017, 06:26:12 AM
how does one throw a chain? i've heard about it.. but it's never happened to me  :laugh:
I have managed to do it cutting small brush, I was too lazy to walk back to the shop for the brush cutter. ::) The chain stretched as it warmed up which is normal and a twig caught between it and the bar. It can also happen if the chain is not properly tensioned, the bar is excessively worn or twisted in the cut.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CTYank

Quote from: bladerunner on April 16, 2017, 06:26:12 AM
IME, it's pretty easy, even with snug chain and high engine speed, if you snag the chain on stuff like barberry. Saw chain is not meant for cutting small-diameter stems. It tends to grab on, and you know the rest.
Of course, whenever adjusting chain tightness, you hold the tip of the bar up, so the chain doesn't immediately loosen in use.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Kbeitz

I would say anyone that has never thrown a chain has not done much cutting.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

A file works for me. Most times the chain is a little slack,when it happens. I should of had it tighter. Other times I have no idea why it happens.  :)
I do run my run up and down the limbs. This makes the limbs lie down better and I also cut the limbs into short pieces,most times 2 feet. I run a tractor in the woods and don't want any damage from limbs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

luvmexfood

Removing the burrs can be aggravating. Had one that was almost new and in addition to the burrs kinked the chain a little. Took it to a local auto parts store that also makes chain. They replaced about 4 links and charged me $2.00. Well worth it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

bladerunner

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 18, 2017, 05:52:45 AM

:D

and you'd be wrong

been cutting trees down here on my property for 16 yrs, still at it
i hardly use the chain brake if ever, one time i did experience kick back though, tidying up a stump and the chain brake engaged!

HolmenTree

Yep,    or they haven't limbed any felled spruce or fir. :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Kbeitz

Cutting Christmas trees I bet I had a chain come off 20 times every year.
We cut about 100-200 trees before shutting the saw off for any kind of adjustment.
That's how many trees are in a normal row. Maybe that's the problem but
we would never get anything done it I would stop every couple trees to adjust it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandsawmill14

this is what i do ;D
Quote from: rank on April 15, 2017, 09:10:41 PM
doesnt really matter long as they fit but it wears the chain instead of the bar if you pull the chain back off after just a few seconds you will see its back in shape ;D :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

rank

Yep that's how it usually happens......cutting brush on my way in to buck the log.  Thanks for the replies everyone.

Al_Smith

Given enough time there are four  things that will happen .You will put a chain on backwards,put oil in the gas tank,cut into the dirt and toss a chain .It's only a matter of time . ;)

teakwood

??? I use chainsaws over the last 20 years and have never put a chain on backwards or put oil in the gas tank, the other two things happen :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

sandsawmill14

but your only 35 you will get to the other 2 someday :D  im almost 45 and i have done 3 of the 4 ;D no oil in the gas tank YET ;) :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Bill Saf

and no one has ever pinched a bar or had the tree sit down on the bar ether because they miss read the lean or the wind come up. I will admit Iv done all of them now Ill go sit in the corner of shame :D :D

brianJ

Think I put my chain on backwords enough times I dont need to put bar oil in the gas tank.

HolmenTree

I never put a chain on backwards, I always had an "eye" for that :D
But I have poured oil or gas in the wrong filler hole more then once and that was only on my 338XPT and the old Jonsereds 910/920 with their filler caps side by side.
Learned quick though, the little 338XPT is easier to mix up on :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!