iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dry White Pine with waves

Started by Dave989, April 15, 2017, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave989

Hello there,
I have a Woodmizer LT 40.  I was cutting white pine yesterday for a costumer with a new blade, bimetal 7 degree turbo.  The one White pine log that is about a year from when it was cut, kept getting waves in it where the knots were.  Now I have had this issue before, but never this bad.  I kept milling slower and slower, it didn't seem to make a difference. The costumer was not happy at all, nor was I.  Any ideas as to why this was happening? 
Check out our Facebook page Timber Beast Sawmilling.
Dave and Hannah

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Sawmill Man

If you are sure blade is sharp and tensioned correctly and drive belt is tight try increasing set.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

WV Sawmiller

Dave,

I'd try a 4 degree blade. I run them a lot in pine and spruce to prevent getting wave at the knots. The 7 & 10 degree blades will cut good in the soft wood till they hit the harder knot then they want to jump over (at least that has been my experience with my mill). Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

Belt tension is critical under these conditions.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ladylake

Dry pine like to build up gum on the blade fast, check that.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Sixacresand

Even with new 4 d blades I had drizzle diesel on the blade to get decent boards from dry or pitchy pine.  Also, as mentioned on FF many times, Start the CUT on the top end of the log.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Brad_bb

Assuming your tension is at the factory setting, and you have a sharp blade....1)slow down and give it time to cut through the harder knot, and 2) read this  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,95719.0.html   
See if turning the log end for solves it.  Let us know.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Peter Drouin

Cutting to slow, Next time give her some the T, 7s have to eat as fast as you can.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!