iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to the seasoned chainsaw mill folks

Started by BLDRBOB, April 15, 2017, 09:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLDRBOB

Morning,

I been a carpenter contractor for 27 years, I have used a both a Stihl an Husqvarna for our rough framing sites in standard building practice, have alarmed multiple "just paper builders" . I have had a passion for wood for years, I wood like to mill some select logs for my new build of my residence.
Not sure which saw to purchase, am planning to purchase one of the Alaska style guides preferably for a 36" bar. I will be cutting both soft an hardwoods.

Looking for advice on set-ups..... what works well

Thanks for your time
Big Bob
Michigan

WellandportRob

I have two Alaskans, one with a 395 xp and one with a 880.  Both would work fine with a 36" bar.  I wouldn't get anything below 90 cc.  Good luck.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

Jesper Jepsen

I run the Alaskan 36" mill with  MS661 and a 36" bar and I have no problems when cutting full with being softwood or oak the most important thing is a sharp rip chain and patience. Consider the Alaskan vertical mill on another chainsaw to square the logs if needed, I use a MS361 for that.
I would say that the 661 or similar is the smallest saw to use as milling put a lot of wear on the saw, one board can take a tank of fuel.

Jesper

ToddsPoint

If you have a good back, get the Alaskan.  If you have a bad back, get a Logosol M8.  You won't be sorry.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

YellowHammer

With me it was never my back that hurt most, I always started getting stomach cramps, similar to doing too many sit ups, after about 4 hours of pushing the Alaskan.  I affectionalty called it the "puker" and eventually installed a crank handle and rope to feed the saw, and that was much better.  I've never used the Logosol, but from some of the positive feedback from folks in the Forum that have one, I'd be looking at one real hard.  A CSM will cut wood, but don't mount your favorite saw to it, because it is very hard on them, at least in my limited experience, maybe 2 summers of using one.  That's how long my favorite saw lasted. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

richhiway

check out my thread "milling around" I have a logosol , 046 and 066.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

NRPohlenz

I run two Stihl 880 Magnums on 48" and 56" Alaskans. With factory chains I can run 8ft logs in 4 to 5 minutes at 1.5 to 3 ft wide. My recommendations from learning hard lessons:

- Use Skip-Chisel chains made for slabbing, not Rip chains.
- Always keep chains razor sharp, suddenly a dull chain will be a 10 minute cut rather than a 3 minute cut.
- Be prepared to change and clean air filters on the chain saw. That kind of heavy cutting with lots of dust thrown horizontally will clog it quick. Just have two or three extras and check/rotate them when you fill gas and bar oil

Thank You Sponsors!