iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whiskey?

Started by Magicman, April 15, 2017, 09:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This question kinda came up on another board and prompted my curiosity.

I have this Fifth that was given to me in 1968, and it is still unopened.  The seal is intact even though the whiskey has evaporated, or whatever, to a lower level in the bottle.

Now the question; does whiskey continue to age or just get old in a glass container?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

I have been a keen observer of whiskey for over 50 years and have never let a bottle be abandoned such as this.  However, whiskey is aged in oak barrels where the char, wood, and oxygen do the aging.  Sealed in a glass bottle would seem to be of little effect, except as  you noted that it has evaporated some, flavor may have changed with the loss of alcohol.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.   8)

(PS, my knowledge, other than the experience of having imbibed my share, is based on a visit to that Institution of Higher Learning, the Jack Daniels distillery in Tennessee)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I did not even think about the year 1968.  Next year it will have it's 50th Birthday!   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

open it drink it then have some one take pic of you to see if it still has a kick  :D :D

Savannahdan

Save it for next year and then open it.  It will either smell and taste like whiskey or smell and taste like varnish.  I don't drink now but had this happen to me many years ago.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

sawguy21

I have never acquired a taste for bourbon, it must be a southern thing like grits.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Skip

Whiskey stops aging when it comes out of the barrel.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bring it to Georgia.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

So 7 year old Whiskey in a bottle is frozen in time and will forever be 7 years old.

The Devil  smiley_devil went down to Georgia and sat on a Hickory stump  fiddle-smiley but this bottle ain't going.  think_not

WDH

Yes, bring it to Georgia and we will get to the bottom of this problem  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

Hey.
This is crazy - I just passed through Georgia and my Johnnie Walker Black is mostly gone.
Evapo-rated right past the cork, I guess.  ::)
Can't just be Georgia though, it started disappearing in Florida.
Might take a Research Project to solve this one . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Don P

Yup, sorry, don't nothing age in glass. In the barrel that loss was called the angels share.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 15, 2017, 10:26:47 PM
Yes, bring it to Georgia and we will get to the bottom of this problem  :D

And when we get to the bottom of it, Jake will make a propellar out it.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bluthum

Send it to me and I will test it and then dispose of it safely. You can't be too careful here, but I am knowledgeable about these matters.

GAB

Quote from: bluthum on April 16, 2017, 06:20:40 PM
Send it to me and I will test it and then dispose of it safely. You can't be too careful here, but I am knowledgeable about these matters.

If I read this correctly I believe he said he would rinse his kidneys out with it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Joe Hillmann

The age of a whisky is based on how long it is in a oak barrel.  But white whiskys(moonshine) mellows a lot after just 6 months sitting in glass.  I don't know how much more it can mellow in an additional 50 years though.

Thank You Sponsors!