iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying my first chain saw. help!

Started by BBQPitts, April 13, 2017, 10:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBQPitts

evenin yall!

I recently joined this site to find answers to my questions about which chainsaw i should buy for my first purchase and Im hoping yall can help me.
Im sure this question has been asked many times so ill try to keep it as clear and short as possible. i have done research on the internet and asked several people both at Home Depo and Lowes and i get different answers from everyone and everywhere.

1. I have used chainsaws in the past both gas and electric
2. I know brand names: Husqvarna, Stihl, Kobalt...but i dont know exactly what SPECS I need
3. I will mainly be using the chainsaw to cut up wood for BBQn. Primarily Oak both large and medium diameter.
4. I will not be using it on a daily or even a weekly basis
5. I live on the gulf coast and hurricanes happen from time to time and Ive had to wait on others to finish cutting the trees that have fallen on their property before i can borrow their saws to cut my own.
6. The trees i have in my yard is a mix of Live Oak, Pecan and Bois D'arc (Osage Orange, Horse Apple) and as im sure yall are aware this last one is INCREDIBLY TOUGH! I still remember when I was a child and my dad using his chainsaw to cut one up after a storm and it was throwing sparks at one point so on the off chance one falls i want to be able to tackle it.
7. My budget is MAX $500. I know anything above that is considered professional grade but im on a bit of a budget since i care for my grandpa and go to college. This is why im doing so much research before i buy so i can get a quality tool and not waste my hard earned money (changing adult diapers is no joke) on something that may fall apart in 6 months or not get the job done.

Thats all the information i can think of to give yall to help me get going in the right direction but if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

mad murdock

I won't be much help as all I have is non consumer grade (pro) saws. I can however welcome you to the forestry forum. If you are mechanically inclined, just about any of the following will do, echo, makita(domar), husqvarna and stihl. I think as far as bang for buck, echo and makita might be worth a look, if dealer support is more important, than go with what your local dealer has, by dealer I mean a full service dealer, not a big box store that sells saws. One that works on them also.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

DDW_OR

Quote from: BBQPitts on April 13, 2017, 10:40:55 PM

3. I will mainly be using the chainsaw to cut up wood for BBQn. Primarily Oak both large and medium diameter.
4. I will not be using it on a daily or even a weekly basis

7. My budget is MAX $500.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I really like my Echo 310 = about $200
then a good chain sharpener
Oregon 511ax chain sharpener = about $340
total about $540

"let the machines do the work"

BBQPitts

Thanks to both of y'all! Of the brands y'all recommend, any particular models I should steer clear of or are better than others?

DDW_OR

stay above 30cc for the engine

14 inch bar can cut a 28 inch tree.

so i would say 14 to 18 inch bar.

since your #3 & 4 state that you are not going to be using this daily, i would stay with Echo, Stihl, Husqvarna

I also like my 120v Homelite with auto oiler. it is powerful and cuts fast. i keep it near the mill.

BBQPitts

I'm assuming auto oiler will save you a lot of headaches since it can dull chains and bend bars (from what I've read) if overheating occurs...?

bladerunner

i use my machines for home use, but have chosen professional saws to do the job
just into quality i guess

you could pick up a nice machine for $500

i reckon you'd have an idea what brand you like, go to that store and see what one feels like in hand
engine size depends on how quick you want to slice through a log

i've got a 359 husqvarna :D

DDW_OR

Quote from: BBQPitts on April 14, 2017, 12:46:08 AM
I'm assuming auto oiler will save you a lot of headaches since it can dull chains and bend bars (from what I've read) if overheating occurs...?
all chainsaws have oilers for the chain. either automatic or manual.
Manual oilers are a PAIN, have to constantly pump while sawing.

use Ethanol free gas whenever possible.
when you are done sawing, drain the gas and oil. then run the saw till it stops.

Ianab

6 - the hardness of the wood makes the sharpness of the chain the critical thing. With that hard wood, the main thing that matters is that tiny bit of metal on the pointy end of the cutter. Needs to be RAZOR sharp, no matter what saw powerhead is on the other end of the bar.

So, knowing that, a sharpening kit of some sort, and some practice using it is your most important tool. A nice reliable 45cc and a narrow kerf chain will gnaw it's way though the hardest wood better than a dull chain on the biggest pro saw.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

BBQPitts,welcome to the forum.
I myself,would not put much stock in the help from a big box store on a chainsaw. I work in a small hardware stor and out 7 of us,I am the only one that has really run a saw. Probably most are going by past customers and by what a training class is telling them.
A dealer will or should know what you need.  But if you went to 2 diffeant dealers,you would get 2 diffeant answers.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DelawhereJoe

The best bang for your buck is gonna be the Echo 590 timberwolf. Retails for $399 and is a 60cc class saw, it come with either an 18" or 20" bar and if you want to cut slowly it would probably run a 24" bar. The husqvarna 460 rancher would come stock from lowes with a 24" bar so the echo should run it too.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

sandsawmill14

welcome to the forum :)  a 310 stihl would be a good choice as would a 455 husky rancher both should be in your price range and would last for years for your type of use at least the ones we had were good my brother has a 310 that is several yrs old and has been used in the log woods topping/trimming part of the time and it runs like a new one :)  but as said if you can find a actual saw dealer you will better off than buying from the box stores unless you can fix it yourself :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

PineHill4488

BBQPitts,

I am by no means an expert, my experience has been with a Husqvarna 235 (IMS on the model #). It has a 16" bar. I had it for a couple years using it occasionally to trim a limb here and there. Then I became a homeowner and use wood to heat a 2000 sq ft house and used it once to fell and saw a 30" white oak. That little saw labored but did not falter. It is back in its role as a trim saw since a Stihl MS660 is my felling, bucking, and milling saw. The little saw has its original spark plug, starts first pull on the once or twice a year I need it. I'm not an every day, week, or even month user but I'm pleased with both saws.

My $0.02, Greg
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

Savannahdan

I have an Echo 310 as well as a Makita 7901 and Husqvarna 3120xp.  The 310 is a workhorse and I've cut some big stuff with it when it was the only saw with me at the time.  I recommend you get a box for your saw and keep the saw, sharpening kit, extra chain oil, can of non-ethanol mixed gas, chainsaw tool and a cheap brush to clean off the gas and oil caps when you get ready to top them off.  I use this brush to help with cleaning the saw after use so as not to have oily sawdust cake up the brake and oil outlet.  Also, run chain oil on the bar before the first use to get it lubricated right away.  Ianab's recommendation about a sharp chain is very important. Good sharpening tools are a must.  You might consider that once you get a saw as to whether your use will increase over what you anticipated.  That's where a larger saw would be very beneficial.  Good luck and be safe.  Wear proper safety gear.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Czech_Made

Stihl, Husqvarna or Echo with 16 inch bar will do what you need and with proper maintenance last you a lifetime.

Here you can find ethanol free gas near you, it makes a big difference in small engines.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

khntr85

People say echo is good, I have never ran one....

My opinion,  get a ms250 with a 16" or 18" Bar.....I have pro saws, but I still use the ms250....for the price it will give you years of service.......

khntr85

The MAIN 2-things about a chainsaw, mix the gas correctly....learn how to properly sharpen a chain....I know a lot of guys that can file a great chain, they can talk about it all day long, but in the end they pay me to grind their chains LOL...

Puffergas

I like a chainsaw that uses two stud/nuts to hold the bar on.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Thank You Sponsors!