The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Tire Pressure Gauge  (Read 1508 times)

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
Re: Tire Pressure Gauge
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 01:42:31 pm »
I did not think about the battery and was not aware of the non-replaceable twist.  I will soon need tires on my F250 with over 57K miles, so I will have to consider the pressure sensors.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 02:24:21 pm »
The way I understand the sensors is they have a molded in battery with an average life of 100,000 miles or 7 years.  Life is somewhat dependent on how one drives.  Kathy bought her Honda new in 07 and it has 130,000 miles.

Most sensors can be tested for remaining battery life.  Smart money is to test the sensors when replacing tires. How come I didn't do that? ???  If one tests low battery life, replace all of them. 

I imagine after market sensors may be cheaper but I wonder about quality.  I checked into putting them on my trailer tires a while back and the price was pretty high....more than what I wanted to spend.
Larry

Nine out of ten trees recommend wood for your building project.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 04:44:52 pm »
I have a TireTracker TT-500 that I use for the camper and sawmill.  Lifetime warranty and free shipping.  Metal valve stems have to be used.  I had one sensor to go bad so as per their instructions, I sent the entire package back for testing and calibration if necessary.  It came back with a new sensor.

I am pleased with the tracker and also with their service.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 08:41:10 pm »
I sure hope my old stuff last my life time.
I don't want any of the new JUNK.....

Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 07:51:45 am »
A couple years ago I did a lot of casual research on tire pressure gauges.  I had six or seven mechanical gauges ranging from a high-end dial gauge down to some of the stick-type gauges.  I tried to keep a gauge handy including one in each vehicle.  One day I started comparing them and found that no two agreed, and the range of readings was pretty wide.

Poking around on various websites and forums it seemed that the general consensus was that digital gauges in general were more trustworthy than mechanical gauges.  Like most things though, the more opinions and "data" I read, the more the consensus seemed to diverge, although it seemed like the digital gauges - even the cheaper ones - seemed to win out.

I threw all the mechanical gauges away and now use one digital gauge.  The one I use came from NAPA.  I don't really like the way it operates, but it's supposed to be accurate.  There are some websites that rate these things.  Prices is not always an indication of accuracy.  There are some low cost gauges that rate high on the accuracy scale.

I find it hard to believe that a good quality dial gauge wouldn't be accurate and dependable though.  Nothing I read led me to one of these that could be considered the gold standard, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there that qualifies.

It would be nice to have something to check calibration and verify accuracy, but that would require a gauge known to be accurate.  (Perhaps someone from U.S. Department of Air Gauge Standards could chime in with some help on this subject.)

For now I'm using the one digital gauge, so at least I don't have any disagreement.  A man with one gauge always knows the tire pressure.  A man with two is never quite sure.  (Old Chinese proverb)

Online LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 08:31:54 am »
I deal with all ranges of pressure gauges at work from 10 psi to 10,000. I always have said if I have two that read the same, one is broken.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • PC Specialties
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 09:35:55 am »
I wonder what the NFL uses to check the pressure of footballs.  :D

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2017, 09:43:33 am »
Ask Tom Brady. 

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2017, 09:53:07 am »
I hope the Gauge monitoring 10,000 psi is accurate Lee! :o
Lane Circle Mill

Online sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2017, 11:14:29 am »
Heck, I'm just glad Lee's the one working on that tire!  :D :D :D

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 06:45:26 pm »
The first general pressure gauge was invented around 1850, and itís called the Bourdon-tube gauge. Britannica.com says this type of gauge is still one of the most commonly used instruments for measuring liquid and gas pressure.

According to Geeksoncars.com, soon after the rubber tire was developed, so too was a way to test its pressure. They trace the first tire pressure gauge back to the early 1900s. Over the last 100 or so years, tire pressure gauges have evolved from those pencil-thin ones to a variety of gauges that range in size and accuracy.

Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 07:34:41 pm »
--- I have both low and high pressure gauges for the ATVs and the vehicles.   Broke down last year and bought a commercial analog pressure gauge unit.   Appears to be pretty accurate for high pressure stuff 50 psi and up.

--- I like Magic Man have an after market TPMS on my F450 and camper.   It works very well.

---  Wife's Toyota 4Runnwer has 200,000 miles and several bad sensors.  The light stays on.   Replacement sensors are cheap, but they need to be programmed to the vehicle and Toyota wants a lot of money to install their own sensors and will not program aftermarket sensors.
Hidden Acres Farm
I got a shotgun, a shovel backhoe and 57 acres!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Offline John S

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 07:52:06 pm »
My daughter buys her tires from Costco and keeps a pressure gauge in her vehicle.  She had a slow leak and went back to the Costco tire shop several times with it.  On her last visit, she went in with her gauge in hand.  The young lady (manager) saw the device (in her hand) and asked my daughter what it was!  When my daughter explained its purpose, the young mechanic was astounded and commented that she would be telling her co-workers about her discovery.
LT40HDG28