iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawyer with Slabbing capability in N VA

Started by nativewolf, April 12, 2017, 08:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Anyone in Northern VA with a slabber?  Not closed yet but if we close this property  (waiting on the courthouse re a boundary line adjustment) I will own a large old downed walnut.  The area around that is going to be treated with a forest mulcher so this will need to get dealt with asap. 

It will surely have some metal  :D but...it is still 36+" 16' up the trunk where it has a large crotch that is about 40" wide.  It has been down for 3 years so the bark is falling off so it should help with keeping the blade clean.  Heck the limbs that come off the tree at 16' are +20" diameter.  Even with the loss of the sapwood I think it could be special.  For sentiment sake I'd be giving a couple of slabs to the prior property owner, the have 2 kids have built a lean to fort under this old tree (no nails) and it must have been enjoyed by generations, a neighboring red oak might make the State of VA big trees list top 10 list and there is a chestnut oak that I believe is the largest in the state if but for the crown being a bit small.  Obviously they are all old field trees as this part of VA has been settled for hundreds of years. 
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Added some photos in my gallery but not sure how to put them in the thread, I'll go research that I know this has been explained.
Liking Walnut

WDH

Hit "reply" to open a reply window to this post.  Click on "Click here to add Photos to Post" outlined in blue at the bottom of the reply box where you type in your reply.  This opens up your gallery.  Find the picture that you want to insert and click it to open it.  Scroll down about 2/3rds of the way and you will see a blue box that says "Insert Image in Post".  Click that and answer "yes" when prompted to ask if you want to insert the pic in your post.  Go back to the reply screen and you will see the picture code in your reply.  Hit preview and you can view the pic as it will appear in the post.  If you want to add more than one pic in the post, just repeat the above steps. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nativewolf

Well I eventually found someone.  Thanks to the local guys that helped. 

This is the bloke, he does not neat work.

oh...could not post a link to flickr...ok his website is http://www.ecofriendlylumber.com/Products

So I asked if he'd join the forum and talk about his work.  They craned up a 57" at crotch diameter Black Walnut out of backyard in Alexandria 2 years ago.  $3500 crane fee...can you imagine. 

This is my tree

Liking Walnut

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!