iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

recomendations for motor

Started by obcexp, April 11, 2017, 07:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obcexp

I picked up my 1991 LT30 this weekend and have taken off the 10HP electric motor. Going to go gas power what are my options and recommendations from you guys in the business?

Darrel

22 hp predator from harbor freight. Here's a link to a thread about installing said engine on a LT40.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,87965.0.html
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

pineywoods

One you probably never heard of, but I can recommend is an industrial engine from kawasaki. 22 -27 hp V twin that's liquid cooled. Comes complete with cooling system. Weighs about the same as comparable air cooled. I have one on a 95 woodmizer lt40, love it..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

killamplanes

jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

sawguy21

You need at least 30 hp in gas to produce the torque equivalent to a 10 hp electric. That Kawi LC Pineywoods talks about is sweet but pricey. Briggs and Stratton has a 35 hp Vanguard V-twin that might meet your needs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fishfighter

Is that electric motor 3 phase?

Chuck White

I replaced the 24hp Onan on my mill with a 25hp Kohler a couple of years back!

It was a very simple switch, only totaled a couple hours and we were done!

It was ordered from Wood-Mizer and included everything required!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

FloridaMike

I have also been eyeing the LC Kawasaki's.  A google search found a 27hp (FD750D-S02) for $1721 delivered or a 31hp (#FD851D-S00) for $2300 delivered.  I feel that is a good price for a liquid cooled engine IMHO.
Mike

pineywoods

Them kawasaki's are industrial engines, lots of them on garden tractors, etc. Torquey beasts. Mine replaced an 18 hp briggs. I run 10 degree blades on everything, i can bogg the motor down but it ain't easy..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bruno of NH

they run the Kawi motors in the stand up mowers at the condos i work at
they never have any problems with them
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SineWave

Not that this is (probably) relevant, but I had a Kawi engine in a John Deere tractor/lawnmower, and parts weren't cheap. At one point I thought I might need a starter, and I think they wanted $300+ for a starter for a 14hp motor (and this was 15 years ago).

I replied, "How much for the entire engine?!?!"

muggs

So why did you take off the electric motor? Maybe so you can be portable.   Muggs

obcexp

Thanks guys, I did take off the 3phase electric not much available here. Is the 35hp Vanguard too heavy for a LT30?   

obcexp

I looked at the Predator 22 hp its cheap enough. Do you guys with LT40s find the 22 to 24 hp enough power? Has anybody put the Kawasaki FD 851 31.0 HP on a LT30?

jmouton

i wouldnt go much over 100 pds, with the motor ,,  single chain and all,,,,,it has worked on our lt-25 and the chain is still good  and solid  ,25 hp is a good size the kohler i think has some good torque, we dont have any problems,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

obcexp

I have the double chain on the set works WM tech said 200 lbs but that seems heavy to me.

Thank You Sponsors!