iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best blade on the Market !!

Started by Theo, April 11, 2017, 01:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theo

For the large sawmill user, according to your experience, what is the best blade on the market? (Type and model)

Theo
HUD-SON and Range-Road & KASCO Canada Dealer

Magicman

This is a strange request since your profile indicates that you are a KASCO dealer ???  Are you asking for the profile and blade specifications or the brand name?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Theo

I know,,, Sorry no body is perfect...

I like the opinion of users, more than that of a seller ...  :-X
HUD-SON and Range-Road & KASCO Canada Dealer

Magicman

OK, I use Wood-Mizer Resharp so obviously I use their blades in 4°, 7° Turbo, and I still have some 10°'s.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

All I used so far is Kasco and junkyard blades so I guess I can't comment.
The Kasco that I have used seem to work good.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

I used Lexon and Kasco blades. I don't have but two years sawing, but for my mill, the Kasco blades have been better. Using 7 degree, but would love to try a couple 4 degree Kasco blades. I just don't want to order 15 blades and find that I don't like them.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

longtime lurker

Opteco 990 series ATB: Like a hot knife through butter

It was an open question :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Deese

Michonne from The Walking Dead definitely had the most durable blade. That sucker never got dull.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Bruno of NH

Kasco are good but I can't buy 15 at once so I buy some other bands
In my busy season milling I will buy 3 a week to stock up
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 11, 2017, 05:23:04 PM
Kasco are good but I can't buy 15 at once so I buy some other bands
In my busy season milling I will buy 3 a week to stock up

Is the shipping free or something?  Seems to me like if you buy 15blades and pay for shipping once, you'll save more $ in the long run than paying for shipping 5x on the same amount of blades.
Boy, back in my day..

Chuck White

The Wood-Mizer 10° Double Hard is a good all-round blade!

I use them exclusively!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Quote from: longtime lurker on April 11, 2017, 03:43:22 PM

Times 2, Opteco for the Lucas

D

Knute

Woodmizer 10s for the past 6 years and worked very well. May try some 4 or 7 to see how they work.

killamplanes

Woodmizer had a winter special going I ordered. Assortment of 3-4 different blades totalling 10. Well of course I've went threw several 100 blades but the guy I got my mill from hooked me up with this ripper blade dealer. Long story short I've never even known my blade length. Didn't need to dealer always new what I had. So I guessed I was standard length.. well my tk standard and woodmizer ain't the same. I'm to embarassed to return them so I now a guy near here runnin a lt40. He is going to get an early christmas. There 158 mine are 150in I beleive. O well back to ripper I guess..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Bruno of NH

The ripper in7• is a good band
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

slider

I have used woodmizer doublehards for years and they are good bands. I have been using kasco 7's lately that i get from form member ,cutting edge . They are similar but i like the price.
al glenn

longtime lurker

Quote from: dgdrls on April 11, 2017, 09:00:08 PM
Quote from: longtime lurker on April 11, 2017, 03:43:22 PM

Times 2, Opteco for the Lucas

D

They also make a bit bigger then saws for a Lucas, out to about 75" I believe.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

petefrom bearswamp

I have used a couple of sample Kasco with good results but I hate sharpening so now use WM blades and resharp.
Have also used Cooks and Suffolk all worked OK.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Fedge

Since your website says that "All orders should be placed online" and you don't carry my blade length on your website, I purchase my blades from other FF site sponsors Menominee Saw (Simonds) or Cooks. You might want to add a custom length setting to you site, you might get more business. I have read good things about your blades, but I guess I will never know.

Geoff
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

gmmills

I have been using WM double hard 7 deg turbo blades and Kasco 7 deg blades. In the next few weeks I will hopefully be using Kasco blades exclusively. The over all quality control of WM blades in the last 2 yrs has been extremely poor. It does not seem to be improving. Years ago WM blades were second to none. This can no longer be stated. The quality control of Kasco blades is very consistent.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Percy

Im a fan of the turbo tall tooth Woodmizer blades. Specifically the 13 degree and the 7 degree blades. You need a mill with hormones to run these but if you got the ponies, these are the blades IMO.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

LeeB

Have not tried Kasco. I've used most of the others and always go back to WM. Got any samples?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bandmiller2

Perhaps I lack sophistication but I have a hard time telling the difference between the half dozen brands I've tried. They have all given me good service. In A lineup I would choose Suffolk  Timberwolf. Most of them likely get their band stock from the same steel mill or at least the same specs. Its all in how well they are set and ground, of course after the first sharpening the ball is in my court. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sixacresand

I have only used WM and of them I prefer the 4d.  I tried a Kasco sample blade once  but hit a nail in the first pass, so I can not give an opinion on that brand.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!