TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Best blade on the Market !!  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Deese

Re: Best blade on the Market !!
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 01:34:59 pm »
I FINALLY finished sawing the last of a man's pine logs Saturday evening. You could tell they were drug out of the woods. All the bark was compacted with sand. I spent just as much time hacking the bark off with a hatchet as I did sawing. It was purely awful. Even though I removed the bark and swept them "clean", there was obviously still sand because blade life was not what it should have been. Man, that was a tough lesson that will stick with me! We had already agreed on price and I didn't inquire about the condition of his logs beforehand. I just said, "Sure! Bring'em On Over!". This was from the same whack of logs that I was whining about a few weeks ago...about how small they were. But I stuck with it until the end. I've chalked this up to just being one of those things that you must learn through experience. I won't do that again!  :D I should have ordered one of those Wood Wizard debarker thingamajigs  :o

EZ Boardwalk Jr 13hp, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, Cooks Single Tooth Setter, Stihl MS 440, Stihl MS 250, 60" Logrite

Offline Deese

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 01:49:37 pm »
It just occurred to me that my last post was not directly related to this thread's topic. My apologies  headscratch smiley_goofy_face
EZ Boardwalk Jr 13hp, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, Cooks Single Tooth Setter, Stihl MS 440, Stihl MS 250, 60" Logrite

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Go saw it
    • Website Link
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 09:58:03 pm »
I FINALLY finished sawing the last of a man's pine logs Saturday evening. You could tell they were drug out of the woods. All the bark was compacted with sand. I spent just as much time hacking the bark off with a hatchet as I did sawing. It was purely awful. Even though I removed the bark and swept them "clean", there was obviously still sand because blade life was not what it should have been. Man, that was a tough lesson that will stick with me! We had already agreed on price and I didn't inquire about the condition of his logs beforehand. I just said, "Sure! Bring'em On Over!". This was from the same whack of logs that I was whining about a few weeks ago...about how small they were. But I stuck with it until the end. I've chalked this up to just being one of those things that you must learn through experience. I won't do that again!  :D I should have ordered one of those Wood Wizard debarker thingamajigs  :o

Not sure if it'd be quicker, but maybe next time you could use a dedicated blade to take the slabs off and maybe octagon it so you get all the bark off, then put on a sharp blade to saw the cant.  Not sure if that would be worthwhile or not, I like to experiment constantly to find what works and what don't
LT40HDSD35-RA
Cooks AE344P
Clark CFY-70
Caterpillar 420E IT

Offline tacks Y

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 07:31:24 am »
Deese, An Amish sharpener sold at an auction a couple weeks ago for 115.00. Not the best but working (no  motor) some are selling drag sharpeners fairly cheap and they still work. Just need to keep looking.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 07:44:19 am »
When you have your own sharpening equipment, you are not quite so pressed into getting all you can out of one sharpening, so therefore you pull the blade as soon as you see that it's slowing down in the cut!

If you send your blades out to be resharpened, you would seem to have the tendency to get all you can out of it before pulling it! 

Absolutely not true, (at least in my case) but I can not speak for others.  Blade resharpening cost should never be a factor regarding changing blades.  If the blade is showing signs of dullness, either visually or lumber quality, then the blade needs changing. 

I know what you are saying and agree the cost shouldn't enter the equation, but it does sometimes, there are a couple of sawyers in this area that send their blades to WM Resharp, they weigh in the cost of the shipping & Resharp and they push their blades and get every cut that they can out of them before pulling them.

Some of their old customers are my new customers!  ;)
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2017, 07:58:25 am »
Some of their old customers are my new customers!  ;) 
Yup, I have some of those too.  There are two sawmills that are now virtually parked in my area and they were the "go to" sawyers when I bought my sawmill.  I have had new customers say that they were hesitant to ever have logs sawn again because of previous poor quality lumber.

A sharp blade is more important than sawmill engine fuel.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Deese

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2017, 09:58:39 am »
Deese, An Amish sharpener sold at an auction a couple weeks ago for 115.00. Not the best but working (no  motor) some are selling drag sharpeners fairly cheap and they still work. Just need to keep looking.

I've got a Cooks Cat Claw sharpener.

Offline Bradm

• I'm new!
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2017, 05:25:08 pm »
I can't speak to best blade as Simmonds, Lennox, and Kasco are all common in this area.

As for grinders, I prefer drag over plunge though I wouldn't say no to a Lorach CNC band grinder.