iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Straight Line Rip Sled for Woodmaster

Started by greglwood, April 10, 2017, 11:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greglwood

Does anyone have any pictures of a straight line sled for use with a woodmaster planer/molder that they could post. A video would be even better.   I'm particularly interested in how it holds the board as it passes though.

Thanks

WLC

Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

jdtuttle

I built a couple sleds for my woodmaster. You need a block at the end slightly lower than the material your sawing. Otherwise the power feed rollers pull the wood but not the sled.
Good luck
Have a great day

jim blodgett

Gary Striegler is as good a carpenter as there is.  You look up "carpenter" in the dictionary they might have a photo of him. Been following him for many years. 

Joey Grimes

Instead of the cleat on the sled I drive a finish nail in an clip it off 1/8 above surface so it bites board when feed rollers engage .I usally only use when I have a lot of long boards to run otherwise I just use the jointer .It's also helpful to have a 8,10,12 foot sled board so you have a sled to match board length
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

MikeON

Here is a setup I used to rip about 300 pine boards, which were later tongue and grooved for paneling. 
The green material on the sled board is Dycem, a very grippy material which I glued on.  The sled board slides between two guides bolted to the Woodmaster bed.  The workpiece just rests on top of the sled board - no nails, screws, or cleats.  The rough 6" boards were being ripped to 5.5" width, so I made the sled board 5-3/8" wide.  Many of the workpiece boards had some side bend, but it was easy to visualize where the cut would be because the sled was close in width to the final cut.
So I would just position the workpiece on the sled board, grip the two together by hand until both rollers had engaged them, and let it rip.  A sawhorse on the infeed side supported the sled board while placing the workpiece, and I had a roller setup on the outfeed.  Very satisfactory results.  As a test, I also ripped some narrower boards on one edge only - came out very straight.  I suppose sandpaper could be used instead of the expensive Dycem.  Was not comfortable with sandpaper that close to my blades.

Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!