iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

splitter wedge material

Started by KGTC4D, April 10, 2017, 01:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KGTC4D

Looking for a place in Maine or Eastern Canada to buy a length of wedge material to build a few different wedges.  Any ideas?  thanks for the help. 

62oliver

I built a splitter last year, and following the advice of other members on this forum I went to the scrapyard and got a piece of regular mild plate steel 1" thick and about 1 foot square, and a new, good quality disc for the 7" grinder. I spent maybe a little over an hour on it, spilt maybe 10 bush cords with it and there is not a mark on it. And its really easy to touch up if you need to.
I was going to try to make a wedge from some used grader blade I have, but was thankfully pointed in the right direction, the main down side being that hardened steel just is not much fun to work with, i.e. welding, cracking and such.

Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Pclem

We've got a couple steel suppliers here that carry cutting edges for skidsteer buckets. The right thickness and edge already beveled on one side. Maybe check with your local steel places
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

gspren

If buying mild steel plate get hot rolled like A-36, rather than cold rolled which won't be quite as tough. The good news is A-36 is more common anyway but don't just ask for "mild steel". If there is a scrap yard around boiler plate would also work but it's always nice if the welder knows what you got.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hedgerow

35 years ago I build a splitter and used a grader blade for the start of the wedge. A welder friend said you shouldn't have used a harden piece of metal it will break. He was right but it took 30 years of hard splitting to break it. Google weld on splitting wedge and you will find a guy out of PA that sells wedges of many lengths and sizes I have purchased several from him and haven't had any problems with them.

Ivan49

I used 4140 when I built mine 40 years ago. Has held up very well

KGTC4D

Thank You Sponsors!