iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shooting a fence line

Started by LeeB, April 10, 2017, 08:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Putting a fence on the property line in Arkansas?  That's an interesting new concept.  Some Yankee musta thought up that idea. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

LeeB

Guess yo're right Larry. What was I thinking? Just string it out and hope it's on my side or the real owner doesn't catch on. Not the way I operate.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Larry

Just a teasing.  The fences on my property were all built by previous owners and none are on the property line.  One wanders off a 100 yards on the neighbors ground.  An California investment bank bought that property and wanted me to move the fence.  Since I don't need or want a fence I gave them the fence....they still weren't happy. :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Raider Bill

Quote from: LeeB on April 11, 2017, 11:08:01 AM
Guess yo're right Larry. What was I thinking? Just string it out and hope it's on my side or the real owner doesn't catch on. Not the way I operate.

That's what the past owner of a part of my land did. Seems her motto was if in doubt put the fence on the other guys land. In some areas she was 50+ feet over.
We bought our land at about the same time. She started fencing from day 1. One Sunday morning several of the local Menfolk came up to talk to the gol DanGed Yankee Florida Boy that was stringing fence on their land. They were NOT happy people. All were armed and not shy about me seeing that. Told me if I didn't stop I could get burned out and if I was lucky they'd maybe let me get out of the house first.
We got it worked out once they saw how nice of a guy I am. ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

A method used here in NY by the nysdec was as follows.
Bear in mind this was when i was young and now the litigious society may require more accurate results.
It was used to establish state land boundaries.
We worked in chains.
Say you have a line 10 chains long (660 feet)
Both corners have been set by a surveyor.
We used a staff compass and used the bearing given on the survey map.
Working on the compass bearing we set temporary posts every measured chain until 10 chains was reached.
This was usually fairly close to the corner.
We measured the distance to the corner at say 40 feet with no regard to the usually negligible angle..
this means that every chain or 1/10th of the distance is 40 divided by 10 so at every temporary post we measured the appropriate distance and set a more permanent marker.
The first one 4' then 8' then 12' and so on.
then the line was blazed and painted.
Pretty darned close.
Many miles of State land was delineated in this way.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

clearcut

The Theodolite app uses the phone's camera to view in the distance, and the screen as a display. You line up crosshairs up and down and left and right on the objective. The phone's GPS gives the bearing.

It's easier with 2 people, one to sight and the other to hold a sighting rod. I used a piece of PVC with electrical tape wrapped around.

The website for the app is:

http://hrtapps.com/theodolite/

Regarding a cell connection, from the developer:

QuoteDoes Theodolite work without access to the internet?
Most of Theodolite's features will work without access to the internet, except for online maps, e-mail export, and location services for wifi-only devices (wifi-only devices are iPads and iPods lacking GPS hardware and 3G/4G cellular hardware). iPhones and iPads with GPS hardware can get location data without an internet connection, however it will take longer for the on-board GPS hardware to function in a standalone mode without help from internet databases to speed refinement.

When using a GPS-enabled iOS device without an internet connection, allow extra time (tens of seconds, or a minute) for the device to acquire an initial position fix. Once the initial position is locked in, subsequent position updates will behave normally.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

dgdrls

Quote from: clearcut on April 11, 2017, 08:57:59 PM
The Theodolite app uses the phone's camera to view in the distance, and the screen as a display. You line up crosshairs up and down and left and right on the objective. The phone's GPS gives the bearing.

It's easier with 2 people, one to sight and the other to hold a sighting rod. I used a piece of PVC with electrical tape wrapped around.

The website for the app is:

http://hrtapps.com/theodolite/

Regarding a cell connection, from the developer:

QuoteDoes Theodolite work without access to the internet?
Most of Theodolite's features will work without access to the internet, except for online maps, e-mail export, and location services for wifi-only devices (wifi-only devices are iPads and iPods lacking GPS hardware and 3G/4G cellular hardware). iPhones and iPads with GPS hardware can get location data without an internet connection, however it will take longer for the on-board GPS hardware to function in a standalone mode without help from internet databases to speed refinement.

When using a GPS-enabled iOS device without an internet connection, allow extra time (tens of seconds, or a minute) for the device to acquire an initial position fix. Once the initial position is locked in, subsequent position updates will behave normally.

I'd be interested to see how well that App performs by locating the new set points with survey grade instrumentation and making the comps.

D

SwampDonkey

Recently, I've used Mapwel to build my own custom map from provincial property maps (data is Shapefile format). Then load the maps onto my Garmin GPSMap64S. I only loaded up a couple counties where I'm working. Shows lines and property ID numbers. From the ID numbers you can look up ownership and tax levy and so on if you want from the provincial government web. Must be something similar in most states, maybe not all.

The layer looks something like this when loaded into the GPS. There are a couple files that make it up, one has the ID's in a polygon and one the lines. The GPS can't distinguish polygon edges when all loaded together (no outlines), so need the lines layer on top.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

I ended up get the pros to come out and do it. $4200.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

That's a lot for running woods lines. Did 450 acres here on one parcel in 2001 for $750. Surveyor and his axe man. Not even forest companies would pay those rates.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

It is what it is. The other bid was almost $7000.

dgdrls

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 09, 2017, 04:57:39 PM
That's a lot for running woods lines. Did 450 acres here on one parcel in 2001 for $750. Surveyor and his axe man. Not even forest companies would pay those rates.

As I recall the fee included blaze, flag and file a new plat,
Pretty cheap IMHO for securing the boundary, having a plat prepared and filed with the County
and knowing if there is a challenge the surveyor has stamped the Plat
is responsible for it and will defend it if needed.

If you consider the 450 Ac work on a cost per LF basis and compute it as a box (round numbers), $750/17710LF that person worked for $0.04LF and paid his Ax man.
Compute inflation to 2016 and you would be in the $1050 range,  $1050/17710LF $0.06LF.   
I don't think anyone here on the FF would work for that rate.

LeeB keep those lines cleared, brushed and freshened-up annually, the
work and the plat are an investment in the land. 

Best
D

LeeB

Quote from: dgdrls on June 10, 2017, 10:16:02 PM
As I recall the fee included blaze, flag and file a new plat,
Pretty cheap IMHO for securing the boundary, having a plat prepared and filed with the County
and knowing if there is a challenge the surveyor has stamped the Plat
is responsible for it and will defend it if needed.

A big part of the decision to go with a professional instead of doing it myself.

SwampDonkey

The field work was only 6 hours, the line trees were blazed and flagged and line brushed. It was before leaf out to and not much undergrowth, clear sailing more or less. I went around with the paint and brush myself after. There won't be any challenge to the lines he run or to the paperwork registered. We have a surveyors act and we also have quieting of titles act here. Base was set up in the field and a rover GPS used on the lines.

So once the following is satisfied she's a done deal.

1(5)The application shall be supported by the following particulars which shall be filed with the Notice of Application:
(a)the title deeds and other documentary evidence of title, if any, in the possession or under the control of the applicant;
(b)an abstract of title, together with a concise statement of the facts relied on by the applicant to make out the title and which do not appear by such abstract, certified by a solicitor of The Court of Queen’s Bench of New Brunswick;
(b.1)a plan and a description of the land prepared by, and verified by the affidavit of, a land surveyor registered under the New Brunswick Land Surveyors Act, 1986 who has personally inspected the land, unless the judge dispenses with them for special reason;
(c)an affidavit in accordance with section 2 by the applicant or other person or persons, unless the judge for special reason dispenses therewith;
(d)a schedule of the particulars produced under this subsection.

Same surveyor we used works on land owned by the local mill. I think he works for them 3 days a week keeping the lines updated.

Defending a survey would be extremely rare up here. Not to say that someone doesn't come along and says it's wrong, which could be an adjacent owner. But if he ain't a surveyor it won't get him far. The Surveyor's Act comes into play. And if he defaces the established line he might be getting a few free meals or very expensive ones. A surveyor is suppose to be non biased, much like a scaler of logs. I can use a licensed scaler from your mill with no bias, if he intends to scale for long. He doesn't have to scale my logs, but if he does and cheats me willingly, there are consequences. (NB Scaler's Act) ;)

LeeB

I wish it was that cheap in my area. Believe me, I didn't want to have to turn over that much cash.  :-\

dgdrls

Sometimes I forget Swamp D. you're in New Brunswick.
Looks like there are some similarities to survey work here in the States as well,

Best regards
D

Thank You Sponsors!