iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

well its

Started by coxy, April 09, 2017, 04:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

tick time again had one on my back  errrr  I'm working on the same hill that got me lyme 4 years ago >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( this one had a red back side

Ron Wenrich

I was looking at some natural repellents.  Ticks in PA are supposed to be pretty high, and our cats are outside cats.  We've been known to get ticks off of them, as well as just walking around our yard or in our field.

I ran across a site from a gal in PA that says Rose Geranium oil will keep them away.  She and her family spends a bunch of time outside on a daily basis.  She put it on her dog, and the dog doesn't get ticks anymore.  She also puts a dab behind each ear and some on her wrists and she claims she hasn't found any on herself.  To lend a bit of credibility to her, she isn't selling anything. 

She also had a spray on version that consists of 1/3 cup distilled water, 40 drops of Rose Geranium oil, and 1 tablespoon of either witch hazel or vodka (to break the oil down to mix with the water).  Then, you just spray it on yourself or your pet.  She claims that works just as good. 

If it works, it seems it would be better than trying to lather yourself up with DEET.  I might give it a try.  We'll see if they stay off the cat. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

snowstorm

I was reading about ticks the other day. Now they are saying the tick only has to be attached for 15 min. And your in trouble. They also talked about some kind of oil that makes the tick let go. They said that makes the tick spit all the bad stuff into you rite now

WV Sawmiller

Snowstorm,

They used to tell us to apply heat like a match or lighter next to the tick to make him back out then I heard the same thing that he'd barf up everything in his stomach first. I think the last I heard was just pull him out. Of course they used to say that left his head attached so right or wrong that is still what I currently do. Thanks goodness we have been lucky not to have had any here in a while although my wife went with me to a site visit last summer and found a couple crawling on her but none attached. maybe they like her better than me or we just didn't see the ones on me
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Hey Ron,I did a google on it,and a bunch of stuff came up,so it must be true.  ;D Better than some of the chemical stuff out there. I also saw coconut oil could be used to mix the essential oil with it.
I never had ticks,in my area,until about 5-6 years ago. They was about an hour from me for years. Wished they would of stayed that way. My boss has lyme disease.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

dawn dish soap will work to but it takes about 40min for them to back out  they also say if you don't get a bulls eye don't worry about it and I can tell you that's bull    I never had a bulls eye and wound up with double lyme the docs told me they never seen levels that high in a person before    I had bad shoulder pain and a pain in my left eye that made it tear like I was crying for over a month before I went to the doc     I was taking 40m of doxi every 3h for 2weeks then 40 every 6h for 30days and don't ever want to take that crap again the lest bit of sun fried me like an egg

sandsawmill14

you northern guys are lucky from the way it sounds at least once per summer i will get in a seed tick bed and get hundreds at one time >:( so many i will pull mt pants off in the woods and wash my legs with saw gas if i have any with me if not i just take my pocket knife and scrape of all that i can ;D
26 is the most i can ever remember being stuck on me when i got home to take a shower :o there will not be a week and only very few days from now till oct that i wont get at least one off of me  :-\ and they have been out for about a month here   i have been really lucky so far and havent been sick but my brother had tick fever and really messed him up for a while  :( but none of the rest of us have been sick from a tick :)
they were not near as bad when i was a kid but we had no deer to speak of when the deer moved in so did the ticks ::)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Kbeitz

My dog just brought this one in the house yesterday. I'm not sure if it's
a deer tic of just a baby wood tic.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

red

I had a very small deer tick on my arm yesterday. It was about the size of a Pin Head.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

sandsawmill14

Quote from: red on April 10, 2017, 07:58:19 AM
I had a very small deer tick on my arm yesterday. It was about the size of a Pin Head.

those tiny deer ticks are what i was calling seed ticks  :) thats what everyone knows them as around here and they are more plentiful than chiggers when you get in them :o >:(

snowstorm

Found my first tick today. On the door casting next to the door knob . Waiting for someone to brush up against it.

sandsawmill14

i got seven off today but only one was stuck ::)

Ron Wenrich

Sounds like some of you guys need guinea hens.  Saw where wild turkeys eat up to 200 ticks a day. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

snowstorm

Way to many wild turkeys around here as it is. Some say it's the turkeys that carry the ticks.

4x4American

Quote from: snowstorm on April 09, 2017, 07:22:03 PM
I was reading about ticks the other day. Now they are saying the tick only has to be attached for 15 min. And your in trouble. They also talked about some kind of oil that makes the tick let go. They said that makes the tick spit all the bad stuff into you rite now

Maybe they said that we used to have a 24hr window to try and get us to get it in us best they could.  I got the lymes disease in 2005 or so
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on April 11, 2017, 06:47:58 PM
Sounds like some of you guys need guinea hens.  Saw where wild turkeys eat up to 200 ticks a day.

we kept 20 or so guineas running around here for years and they do help :) but i had rather have the ticks :o >:( ;D their not that bad but they can be pretty annoying sometimes :)
i have a few ticks in the yard but not to bad my trouble is out on one of the farms or in the woods :-\

nativewolf

http://www.tickencounter.org/prevention/permethrin

Ok, I guess I am the guy that will rant.  This is what everyone in our industry should treat clothes with.  No mumbo jumbo, no hoping deet works, no worrying about remembering to stop and spray. 

Hands down the most effective way to stay tick free for weeks on end.  Not expensive and the best preventative you can get.

I suggest buying the sawyers brand (for laughs...not actually by someone that saws but it is as good as anything else).

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on April 09, 2017, 04:51:55 PM
I was looking at some natural repellents.  Ticks in PA are supposed to be pretty high, and our cats are outside cats.  We've been known to get ticks off of them, as well as just walking around our yard or in our field.

I ran across a site from a gal in PA that says Rose Geranium oil will keep them away.  She and her family spends a bunch of time outside on a daily basis.  She put it on her dog, and the dog doesn't get ticks anymore.  She also puts a dab behind each ear and some on her wrists and she claims she hasn't found any on herself.  To lend a bit of credibility to her, she isn't selling anything. 

She also had a spray on version that consists of 1/3 cup distilled water, 40 drops of Rose Geranium oil, and 1 tablespoon of either witch hazel or vodka (to break the oil down to mix with the water).  Then, you just spray it on yourself or your pet.  She claims that works just as good. 

If it works, it seems it would be better than trying to lather yourself up with DEET.  I might give it a try.  We'll see if they stay off the cat.

Don't bother with any of that crap.  Just buy permethrin- this works.  Proven by our army, CDC, and others.  Natural origins but deadly deadly to ticks.  Not a repellant. 
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: thecfarm on April 09, 2017, 08:55:50 PM
Hey Ron,I did a google on it,and a bunch of stuff came up,so it must be true.  ;D Better than some of the chemical stuff out there. I also saw coconut oil could be used to mix the essential oil with it.
I never had ticks,in my area,until about 5-6 years ago. They was about an hour from me for years. Wished they would of stayed that way. My boss has lyme disease.  :(

He got lyme because he did not use caution-  you can prevent pretty easy by killing ticks that get on you with  permethrin treated clothing.
http://www.tickencounter.org/prevention/permethrin
Liking Walnut

Kbeitz

I picked 3 more off the dog today...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!