iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Permanent troubleshooting thread?

Started by pallis, December 12, 2004, 03:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pallis

Okay guys, I PMed Kevin and asked about the possibility of getting a troubleshooting thread as a permanent sticky that stays near the top of the Chainsaw thread, and he said to run it by you guys.  I think a troubleshooting section that covers tuning, recognizing and correcting problems like clogged pulse lines, leaking seals, faulty carbs, etc. would be handy.  Most of the information probably exist in other post, but this would be a way of collecting all the knowledge and putting it in one thread that is handy to go to.   The troubleshooting thread could cover the basics on chainsaw tuning and problems, bars and chains, whatever everyone deems important or needed.  When someone like me has a problem, the troubleshooting section could be the first place to go.  I got this idea from a gun website while building some FAL rifles, and don't see why it wouldn't work here.  Anyhow, have at it, pros, cons, what's needed, how it could work.  All I have is the idea. ::)

DanManofStihl

I think that is a great Idea it would really be helpful. You have my vote
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Kevin

Probably a good place to start would be something like this ...

Q:My saw won't start, what should I look for?
A: Is the spark plug wet with fuel and is there a bright spark at the plug?

scottr

Lewis Brander

Yes, it is a good idea. Any repair proceedures, suggestions on a particular repair could be submitted say under a carbruetor- fuel system section, a teardown section, maintanence section, chain spec and maintanence section, etc. Would be nice to set up a search funtion, punch in a couple words and go to the area you were looking for, such as chain sharpening, carb repairs, etc. Could be set up as a glorified Owner's/Repair manuel. Take care. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

mrcaptainbob

Great idea!!!!! The categories are a super idea, too!

Lewis Brander

Hello to all. There is a forum that I visit that is starting, I'll call a database, for old Operator's Handbooks and Illustrated Parts List. I have converted my manuels to PDF format and sent them in to be posted. So far there has been a lot of manuels that are available. Hopefully  it can be built up to a substantial collection, so that saw collectors or amyone can either post manuels they have and also get the information they need to repair their saws. I think it could be made into an excellent data base with everyone's help. What do you think of that idea. The only problem is server space to store the files, which can be 1 to 2 mb each. Any comments? Take care. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

redpowerd

is there a scanner program that does that forya billy?
id like to do the same for my equip. mans.
thanks
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Lewis Brander

Hello Johnathon. Using my scanner I have to scan a page or 2 at a time and click "save as". I fill in a file name and under file type I click "PDF" file format. There is a box that comes up and you can add more pages untill you are done. Then click done or finished and the file goes where you want to save it to. It does use a lot of space for larger files, but on my computer I have a 40 gb hard drive with next to nothing on it. I've been slowly acquiring manuels for all my saw collection and putting them on the computer. Once done, they can be viewed or sent to other's who may want to view them, print them or save them to their computer. Husqvarna has a site where you can download PDF manuels. Sent an email to Stihl for a operator's/parts manuel and they sent it to me. The fellow said Stihl was working of converting their manuels to PDF files for download, but didn't know when the project would be completed. Hopefully others will do the same. I would like to see more do this especially for the older saws. I would like to get them and have them on hand for reference on my computer. I'd attach an example, but haven't figured that out on this site. Take care and Happy Holidays to all. Lewis.

Chris J

Happy holidays, Lewis.  Are you at liberty to say where this database is being developed?  I recall reading something at the other site, but I wasn't aware that anything was actually moving forward.  My PLs are modest, but might be useful to someone.  I'll PM you if that's more convenient/comfortable.

Merry Christmas, Pallis.  You've got a good idea going, I hope that I can contribute is some way.

Y'all be careful.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Timber_Framer

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Lewis Brander

To Mucha_Nada. I sent you a message. I recieved an email from Mike Acres. He and his son have been working on Owner's/ IPL's to post as 2 more links under the Chainsaw section of their website. I guess they're about to make it available, but are looking for more manuels and any help anyone can give in copying manuels they have and send them in to them. I've converted my materials to PDF files to make them easier to email if anyone needs them. Told Mike I'd gladly send them on to him to post. The other forum I spoke of is the Samlarenfroum in Sweden. The link to that forum is: < http://www.samlaren.org/samlarforum/viewforum.php?f=36 >. This is a chainsaw collectors forum that has just started. Check it out if you want. It can also be acessed from Mike's site under the forum tab from his home page.  Everyone take care and Happy Holidays. Lewis.

Chris J

Thanks, Lewis.  When I hit reply under your message it showed my reply going to lonebear???.  I didn't send it.  

Parts Lists & Owners Manuals sound like great additions to CSCC.  I wonder if Mr. Acres has ever considered adding a search feature?  I'll definately check out those links once the holiday season settles down.

Y'all be careful.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Lewis Brander

Hello Mucha-nada: The reply name is right. I registered on this site as lonebear30, but the Screenmame is Lewis Brander. I was thinking of changing the registration name to Lewis Brander, but didn't know if that would create a problem. You should be able to send me a PM or email from this site. I'll check my profile, but believe my email address is listed. Lewis.

Lewis Brander

To Mach_Nada. I've often thought that a search function would be an added benifit to Mike's site. But he's done so much good work on the site that I didn't want to bother him with the suggestion. I can usually find what I'm looking for in a reasonable amount ot time, but would be handy to plug in a manufacturer and model number and go to that particular saw to view it. OK, talk later. Lewis.

Chris J

Hope that the holidays were happy for everyone!

Lewis:  I know what you mean about Mike's site.  I've never actually communicated with him, but I'd be happy  ;D to have 1/100 of his chainsaw knowledge.  I'd feel pretty "guilty" making suggestions since he's already put so much effort into his site.  Thanks, Lewis, for your willingness to share your information & your parts sources.  I know that a lot of saw collectors & restorers can tight-lipped  :-X when it comes to sharing their sources.  BTW that's not a criticism; as old saw parts get harder to find I think that is some ways it's a natural reaction.

Lewis Brander

My saw collection isn't that large so far. I have to go digging and searching  for parts I need. I can't afford to go and buy a bunch of parts saws to have on hand, nor do I have the room. I do have some extra parts for my Disston saw, that I intend to keep ( fuel meter ). But did a lot of work to make new diaphragms for the one on the saw. I can see people hoarding parts for their own use and equipmen, but can't understand why they wouldn't at least give up a parts soruce to help someone find the parts they need. Some people can be very helpfull and others can be rude, but that's the nature of the beast. I would never refuse printed material or parts sources to anyone that needed help. I've been there, and know what it's like. I appreciate any help that I can get in finding information and parts sources and I let whoever helps know I appreciate it. Some people can't be helpfull enough. I've contacted a few people and they have helped me get parts located, then later I get emails form them wanting to know if I need any other help with any other projects I'm working on. It's great to have a sort of support system gong. I've made friends throughout the US, Canada and into Sweden as a result. OK, let you go for now. Take care. Lewis.

Thank You Sponsors!