The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Dealing with wild hogs  (Read 1926 times)

Offline ozarkgem

• Senior Member x2
  • age 65 yrs old
Re: Dealing with wild hogs
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 05:34:03 pm »
The conservation dept here has stopped hog hunting on public land. They found that hunting makes them spread more. The best way is to use a trap. Then you get them all.
The state will set traps here for you. They do hunt them from helicopters also.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Offline caveman

• In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 08:32:10 am »
I have built and used several hog traps over the years.  Most were constructed using junk that we had on hand.  The last one I built, a holding pen was added adjacent to the trap.  The trap was reset and more hogs were caught until the herd was eliminated.  They don't seem to mind going into the trap if other hogs are right beside it.  We can shoot them year round on private land here and if we let FWC know, we can get the green light to hunt them at night using lights. 

I do not eat any of the boar hogs over about 80 pounds and usually we would sell or give away the ones we shot/caught.  Several of the folks who hunt them with dogs around here cut them and let them go.  Some of those can provide some pretty good meat.  I posted a picture or two of my neighbor smoking sausage from a castrated pineywood rooter a month or so ago.
Caveman

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 01:56:02 pm »
Larry

Nine out of ten trees recommend wood for your building project.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Staples Forestry
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 02:09:08 pm »
Those Arky hogs have always been kinda feral.   
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 06:42:12 pm »
I have built and used several hog traps over the years.  Most were constructed using junk that we had on hand.  The last one I built, a holding pen was added adjacent to the trap.  The trap was reset and more hogs were caught until the herd was eliminated.  They don't seem to mind going into the trap if other hogs are right beside it.  We can shoot them year round on private land here and if we let FWC know, we can get the green light to hunt them at night using lights. 

I do not eat any of the boar hogs over about 80 pounds and usually we would sell or give away the ones we shot/caught. Several of the folks who hunt them with dogs around here cut them and let them go.  Some of those can provide some pretty good meat. I posted a picture or two of my neighbor smoking sausage from a castrated pineywood rooter a month or so ago. 

I watched a show on the OutDoor Channel a year or so back and they were doing that.  I still say anyone that will jump into a pit and grab hold of a healthy hog is at least a little on the crazy side of the fence!

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 09:48:22 pm »
Those hogs have to remember that as a bad night :D
Too many irons in the fire

Offline caveman

• In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 10:44:31 pm »
I went out with some of my students several years ago one night with their dogs.  They used hounds to locate the hogs and then turned the catch dogs out-black nosed curs.  It is an adrenalin rush for certain chasing them through the swamp.  When the dogs grabbed the hogs by the ears, the boys would hold them down and they had some handcuffs with three rings that they clicked around the feet.  If it was to be a catch, castrate and release, the hog was put into the dog box in the bed of the truck and cut loose at the new location after a very sanitary and diligent surgery. 

Some of these hogs have a bad attitude and can wreck a good dog.  The wild hogs are much more athletic and resilient than the domesticated hogs.  I have seen them go over fences and through others. 

When I would trap them, occasionally I would invite one or two for supper.  They would viciously bang into the trap fence boards while snarling angrily.  I would draw and imaginary X between the ears and eyes and put a 22 caliber bullet on that spot, drops them like a ton of bricks (old saying).  Rather than getting in the trap/pen with the remaining ones that still had a pulse and providing them a source to relieve their pent up aggression, I would grab a leg with a rope and lift them out.  I have a hog snare now and that would have worked better.  In those days we still had a basketball goal in the driveway.  I would hoist them from the hoop and pressure wash the smelly beasts prior to skinning them. 

I wish all of our invasive species tasted as good as young pineywood rooters.  We could have Brazilian pepper sauce, tropical soda apple pie, Kudzu greens, python and rice, Bufo toad legs, fried parrot, and many more.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • soon to be 70 10 never will make 80
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 06:24:13 pm »
Regarding invasive species.
Off the subject but in 2014 while at our house in Florida my wife had a Cuban tree frog land on her neck in the middle of the night
Needless to say the scream woke me out of a sound sleep and the three stooges couldn't have better done job of what transpired until I cornered it in the bathroom wrapped it in a towel and liberated  it outside.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 08:20:53 pm »
Taking Sadie (my beagle) on a ride through the property late this evening.  There was a large drove of wild hogs in one of my food plots.  I counted 27 hogs.  Sadie got to bark at them. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 09:25:50 pm »
Pete,

Your tale reminded me of the morning my wife opened the screen door, hit the cat who was holding a fresh caught chipmunk in her jaws. Cat dropped the munk which ran up my wife's pant legs with much yelling and screaming going on until she accidentally stepped on it and it expired.

Okay, back on subject a young wild hog was scrounging scraps meant for the dog at my grandfather's house in Dixie County Fla Christmas morning 1960 when I was 7. The dog defended his meal chasing the dog under the house which was by chance the high water mark of the Suannee River. I went out to watch and when I squatted down to look under the house the hog charged and thanks to a faster younger brother pushing off me in his successful escape attempt leaving me in the path of the angry swine who cut me twice across the knee before I rolled away when the dog came to my rescue. Grandpa rounded the corner and the hog remembered he had left something on the other side of the county and hurried to get it but he did not outrun Grandpa's shot. I ended up bent over the hood of a car at the doctor's home interrupting his Christmas dinner and got a tetanus shot. The dog, for saving me, had a front leg cut to the bone but he got less treatment than me. As far as I know there is still a hog skeleton buried there in what used to be an old garden. Bottom line - be careful messing with wild hogs. Even the young ones can hurt you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 09:34:59 pm »
There was a large drove of wild hogs in one of my food plots.
You better stick to trees.  Actually is was a sounder of wild hogs.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 07:30:13 am »
One man's drove is another man's sounder  :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 03:05:01 pm »
You drove by the sounder.
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 03:20:47 pm »
I herd that about him.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 04:29:46 pm »
A whack, a drove, a gaggle, a sounder. 

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Staples Forestry
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 04:35:55 pm »
a mazing
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 07:51:49 pm »
   When talking to younger nieces, nephews, etc. I always try to use the wrong wording just for the reaction. Herd of Geese, flock of deer, school of chickens, etc.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline newoodguy78

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2017, 08:15:49 am »
I do the same thing with my kids and nieces an nephews. The look on their faces is priceless when it dawns on them what I just said.

Offline bluthum

• Tick magnet.
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2017, 06:23:55 pm »
The AR Game & Fish Comm.wants rid of them bad. So do I, they are an all around plague. Official word is trapping is the only hope to control the numbers now days they even sell traps at the farm store. Anyway the AGFC is a great source of info on all this.

As for eating that is the only good part. I've smoked even large boars with great success. A  smoked ham or shoulder [skinned first] is excellent.

There is a lot of concern with disease, wearing blue or green[nitrile] surgical gloves while cleaning is a good idea and I would certainly keep the dogs away from any uncooked meat or offal.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 09:16:43 pm »
what diseases do they have