iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawyer Certification

Started by Mr.Rapidan, April 07, 2017, 10:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Rapidan

I would like to take felling classes, or have some education of which to officially certify me as a feller, or forester. I live in Northern VA, anybody have any idea where or how I could do this? I know the Forest Service offers some Sawyer classes including the S-212, but I'm not really sure where to find those. Thanks.
Stihl chainsaws, leaf blowers, edgers, and everything in between.

Ox

If I were you I'd contact the DEC (Dept. of Environmental Conservation) or the local Ag Co-Op for starters.  Someone will be able to point you in the right direction.  Maybe even a call to the local college?  Start asking questions, etc.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Mr.Rapidan

Stihl chainsaws, leaf blowers, edgers, and everything in between.

Pulphook

Google "Game of Logging" programs often run out of university Forestry Schools, state forestry agency, or insurance companies bonding loggers and arborists.
The GOL is a serious series of instruction using competition as a learning tool. Originated in Sweden.
Also look for professional certification programs that may take landowners. In Maine it is "Certified Logging Professional".
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Crusarius

You say you live in VA but I see upstate NY on your description. I am hosting a GOL class on december 7th in canadice NY. I don't think it gets you any certification but it should teach you what you need to know.

Don P

In VA this is offered at different locations throughout the year.
http://sharplogger.vt.edu/

Pulphook

Quote from: Crusarius on November 05, 2018, 04:13:50 PM
You say you live in VA but I see upstate NY on your description. I am hosting a GOL class on december 7th in canadice NY. I don't think it gets you any certification but it should teach you what you need to know.
Most don't know about GOL Crus. Post your program details ?
I took the 4 levels years ago along with the CLP 'pro' course later. Both were the finest learning other than mil training.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

Crusarius

This is the easiest way I can explain it. I have not been through any of them so I only know what I read and was told

[url=http://www.gameoflogging.com/]GOL[/url]

Thank You Sponsors!