iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar length and cutting performance?

Started by MNBobcat, April 07, 2017, 06:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNBobcat

I'm picking up a new Dolmar 6100 tomorrow and selling my Husky 562XP.  I run 20" bars.   I'll be buying the Dolmar with a 20" bar.  However, the majority of the time I'm cutting 8 foot logs that I've had delivered and they don't tend to run super large diameters.  I like the 20" because it has a nice reach and when I have 4 or 5 logs on the forks on the skid steer its comfortable to reach out and cut the logs.  Weight isn't a problem for me.

Having said all that, would a 16" or 18" chain cut faster than a 20" chain?  Its been years since I've used a shorter bar but I seem to recall that they felt like they cut faster than a longer bar/chain combination.  I'm wondering if I should have a shorter bar for every day use and the longer bar for when I have larger stuff to cut?  Again...I don't care about the weight I care more about what's going to get through the logs faster.

Thanks!

MNBobcat

ladylake

Cutting the same sized wood say 16" you wont see much difference between a 18 or 20" bar, if the bar is buried the shorter one will cut faster but leave more wood to be cut.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

MNBobcat

Steve,

Ah, okay, thanks!  I won't worry about it. :)

LeeB

Just curious as to why you're selling the Husky?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bladerunner

instead of having different bar sizes for your dolmar

why not keep that sweet husky for larger logs, it can handle 20" or 22" bars lengths not a prob

the dolmar has slightly less grunt, so i would use that with a 16" or a 18" bar

MNBobcat

Quote from: bladerunner on April 09, 2017, 08:07:04 AM

why not keep that sweet husky for larger logs, it can handle 20" or 22" bars lengths not a prob

The husky was a junk saw.  Cut nice but was broken all the time. 

1) Had to disassemble and clean oil pick-up when it stopped oiling the bar.
2) Had to replace the plastic rewind pulley twice.  I now use the compression release religiously to take strain off the cheap plastic pulley.
3) Had to install new set of pawls on the rewind on second pulley replacement.
4) Replaced 3 Broken chain brake handles even though I never once engaged it or dropped it and it only travels 20 feet.
5) Broken anti-vibration spring had to be replaced.
6) Muffler bolts fell out and had to buy a new heat shield and new bolts.  Assembled with blue loctite.
7) Muffler bolts fell out again.  Had to buy a whole new muffler kit.

MNBobcat

The Dolmar will handle a 24" bar but I got it with a 20".

These days I only cut loggers cords of boiler wood that I have delivered.  I go through 20 - 30 cord a year.  I don't have the time to get out in the woods any more so I'm just buying the wood.  Still costs me half the price of heating with propane.  Last year I did build a new driveway into my place and got into some really large trees I had to fell.  But even with a 20" bar I can still cut them down okay so no real need for a larger bar.

Mainly I want a saw that is reliable.  I'd sell the husky and buy a Stihl or other brand for a second saw.  I may actually look around for a non-runner I can pick up cheap and rebuild or repair.  I did small engine repair years ago and I enjoy working on stuff so it might be a fun project.

bladerunner

Quote from: MNBobcat on April 09, 2017, 10:02:27 AM

The husky was a junk saw.  Cut nice but was broken all the time. 

1) Had to disassemble and clean oil pick-up when it stopped oiling the bar.
2) Had to replace the plastic rewind pulley twice.  I now use the compression release religiously to take strain off the cheap plastic pulley.
3) Had to install new set of pawls on the rewind on second pulley replacement.
4) Replaced 3 Broken chain brake handles even though I never once engaged it or dropped it and it only travels 20 feet.
5) Broken anti-vibration spring had to be replaced.
6) Muffler bolts fell out and had to buy a new heat shield and new bolts.  Assembled with blue loctite.
7) Muffler bolts fell out again.  Had to buy a whole new muffler kit.

LOL, i see
that prompt me to read reviews
generally huskys are a pretty good thing [i have two of them, not a prob]
the 562 appears to be a lemon

sandsawmill14

i cant see how the length of the bar would change the cut speed its how much of the bar is in the wood that slows you down except when the bar doesnt reach all the way through which was already said then the longer bar would have been faster by the time you cut down the back side  :)  i have a 20 24 and 28 inch bar for my 441 stilh and i cant tell any difference in the speed of the cut in the same size wood with any of them  but i do run the shortest bar i can for the size wood because im lazy :D  its a long way around a 28" bar with a hand file :o :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!