iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Had a great visit at Hobby Hardwood Alabama!

Started by boardmaker, April 07, 2017, 10:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boardmaker

I'm finally getting around to posting about my visit to Hobby Hardwood Alabama this past weekend.

I contacted Robert early in the week and asked if he mind if I stopped in.  He said swing by Sunday morning and he'd give me a tour. 

First, I want to say that the New Market area is very nice.  All the house's are very well kept and the beautiful working cattle ranches really make the landscape.  Robert and Martha live down at a dead end of a rural lane with a private gate into their farm.  Their mill/farm is one of the nicest I've seen.

Upon arrival, Robert dropped everything and spent the next 5 hours showing me every angle of his operation.  We discussed everything from log purchasing, milling, drying, remanufacturing, sales, and everything in between.  I come from a large sawmill background and it was great to see how a smaller mill successfully does it.  You can really see how much effort these guys put into making quality lumber for their customers.  Robert and Martha answered every question I had and then some.  The time flew by, and before I knew it, I had to get back on the road. 

You guys have a very nice operation and should be proud.  I want to thank you for all the knowledge you shared and time you spent.  And thanks for the lunch too.

Hope to see you guys again in the future.  Possibly at a Sycamore Project...

Lucas 

Magicman

Thank you Lucus for sharing your visit.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

boardmaker

Unfortunately Herb, we talked the whole time and I didn't think to grab a picture together.  I did take a picture of his dry kiln though.😄

WV Sawmiller

I am sure you had a great time.

As a thank you gift I hope you left him a slightly used but well loved Auburn hat. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

It was a fun visit, Lucas knows his stuff, and I enjoyed learning things from the perspective of a guy who works in the big mills. Seems we had a lot to talk about, and he's got a wonderful opportunity ahead. 

I'm sure Lucas left as a Tide fan.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!