iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st pro saw

Started by lirachamo51, April 05, 2017, 08:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirachamo51

I've been eye ballin this saw since last oct. and finally decided to get it, 20" and 25" bars, put 4 tanks of gas threw it bucking firewood and what a difference from my 20+yr old 029, its been a great saw with never an issue, but i can see its going to get some rr now !! the 461 ran so smooth and went threw the hardwood so fast and easy.All the time I've spent using a ms 180 and the 029, boy do i feel stupid(there's light at the end of the tunnel, just hope it's not an oncoming train ). thanks for all the info about this saw on ff helped me make my final purchase.  8)
Randy

lirachamo51

tried to send photo and it didn't go so i'll try again  ??? okay i quit can't get it to upload sorry I'm terrible with computers.
Randy

lirachamo51

1 more time....

Boy I'm a box of rocks !!!!lol
Randy

khntr85

Hey good for you....I did the excactly same thing about a year ago, and thought I should have done this a long time ago!!!

If you have not been told, that saw will get better and better til you put 15-20 tanks threw her....I know this sounds wierd and I thought so too....but I am here to tell you I could literally feel when she was breaking in....

Anyway I love mine, it pulls the 25" bar in hard wood like a light saber, this saw has lots of torque!!!!!

lirachamo51

yes it did have much more torque than i was used to as it would pull me into the cut if my feet and body weren't properly balanced.probably won't have the 25" bar on till next winter when i start my cutting of firewood and milling wood then i"ll need it, by then it should be broken in.
Randy

thecfarm

You will like it.
Still have the smaller saws? I have a Husky 372 and than an Efco 152,that I won on the FF. The 372 cuts the big ones down and up.  ;D Than I grab the small one for limbing or cutting small wood. My shoulder use to keep me awake at night. Since I got the smaller saw,things are much better on the pain part. I've had that Efco for years and never had any problems with it. Good thing from the reports I've heard. The bottom of the saw,like a skid plate is cracked. A piece of metal and some wire and it's good as new.
Saw away and be safe.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ButchC

With a big horse working in big wood it's amazing how fast you can fill a pick up truck aint it? LOL.  I remember well my first experience with a red light 066 and a rather large beech tree. I was back to the house with a big load in nothing flat, the wife said "did you have trouble??"  I said nope, go look in the truck. I have a 660 now and it has really spoiled me. I dont mess around very long with the smaller saws when the wood gets big.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

lirachamo51

yes i still have the smaller saws ,I'll be putting the 16"bar back on the 029 and the 180 i use for the real small stuff and trimming all the trails back. I have about 10 cords of hard wood in header right now and couldn't believe how much i got cut in 3hrs.
Randy

Dr. Cornwallis

I too see a 461 or possibly a 661 with a 25in bar in my future. I just bought a 261 with a 16in bar and I feel like the 461 or 661 with 25in would be a good addition for felling and bucking big stuff.

lirachamo51

i put my 16" bar back onto the 029 and cut a couple of small oaks in the 14" range today and what a difference in the speed and power of the 461.not that the 029 didn't get the job done ,but just not the ease and quickness that the new saw has.When you get the 461 you"ll see !
Randy

Thank You Sponsors!