iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting some logs, need help i.d.`ing

Started by alanh, April 05, 2017, 04:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

have been given a few loads of logs, the ones in the truck I`m told are pine, I still have a hard time I.d ing between pine and hemlock, one of the butts looked like it had shake from what Ive read here. I don`t know what the hardwoods on the ground are...

thecfarm

Thoselook like eartern white pine to me.
hemlock don't have pitch that runs like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Yep... Pine will have a lot of sticky pitch that gets on everything.
Also the Pine bark on the small limbs is smooth.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

On the ground I believe you have a northern red oak, looks like a nice stick.

Ron Wenrich

My first thoughts of the log on the ground was pin oak.  I know species look a lot different in different areas.  A log that size in my area in red oak would have deeper fissures.  Tight ones like that are often pin oak. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jmouton

i am having the same problem,  except we have 65 logs to i d ,,  most of them dont have bark on them ,,  ill do the smell test ,  cut  end with chainsaw test ,,  and the sawmill test ,,,so hopefully we get them all right ,,

jim

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

WDH

The first pic is definitely in the red oak group.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

warina drive

If you can check the leafs......pine are long and round,hemlock are short and flat.
Nice logs anyway

69bronco

Deese

Yes definitely red oak (pin oak is in red oak group). Erythrobalanus
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

alanh

Thank You Sponsors!