iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost my SuperHydraulic Sawmill

Started by Magicman, April 05, 2017, 12:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, one of the hydraulic motors died.  This was one of the old original Monarch pumps and I have the other that has been rebuilt to replace it with.

I disabled the motor and plugged the pump vent and finished sawing with an HD sawmill.  It surely was slower.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

MM, I sure you got it replaced by now.  Good you can go from milling mode to mechanic mode.  Most millers, like you, are jacks of several trades:  woodworkers, carpenters, electronic techs and mechanics.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ga Mtn Man

Good thinking to have a spare at hand.  I bet you will find your missing Super in short order. 

The second pump I added a few years back is one of those Monarch pumps...new old-stock from ebay, $129  :).  I hope I get the mileage out of it that you have from yours.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

ncsawyer

At least you still had your super feed motors, so your head speed was still at super speed. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 05, 2017, 12:59:54 PM
  It surely was slower.   :-\

Might be trying to tell you a little something.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GDinMaine

I had a hydraulic motor go last year. My mill was made in 2000 and the motor was the same age. Unfortunately WM no longer carries the rebuild kit for Monarch motors, so I decided to replace both original  with the currently available Iskra motors.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I replaced the pump motor with my spare but as it turns out it is the actual pump itself that has failed.  The motor is pulling steady amps but the pumping is erratic.  It's also making a strange noise inside of the pump.  I would never trust it to make the road trips that I usually make so I called WM and have a new Iskra unit on the way.  That is what the other unit is so they will be a matched pair.

I'll keep the spare for what it is.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I still have the old style on my mill. I'll keep in mind that you are storing my spare for me when the time comes that I need it.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

And you know full well that I would gladly send it to you my friend.  :)

I have gone through my troubleshooting procedure (think second guessing) and am confidant that I did not error.  The first thing that I did was to switch the motor leads to the opposite solenoids.  This eliminated the solenoids because the same pump was still failing.  Next, leaving the pump in place, I replaced the pump motor and the same pump failed.  I have a spare pump, but no way am I going through replacing it with anything less than a new pump.

I simply chalk maintenance items up as what they are.  This pump has been running since 1998 so RIP.

D6c

I'm curious what motor & pump would have come on a '90's LT-40.  I'm in the process of adding hydraulics to an older LT40 manual and need some pump & motor specs to help get the right GPM to operate the clamp, log turner, side stops, & maybe toe boards.

You mention having two pumps....how are the hyd. functions split up between the pumps, and are both pumps the same size?  Any specific specs would be appreciated....especially pics of the motor & pump tags.

Thanks

Magicman

The hydraulics are not split.  Both pumps are in parallel with a common intake and output.  Separate solenoids operate simultaneously so both pumps are running when any control lever is operated.  This is why the reservoir vent has to be plugged on the non-operating pump to prevent overflow from the operating pump.

The old and new hydraulic motor/pumps are directly interchangeable.

D6c

Quote from: Magicman on April 06, 2017, 10:37:41 AM
The hydraulics are not split.  Both pumps are in parallel with a common intake and output.  Separate solenoids operate simultaneously so both pumps are running when any control lever is operated.  This is why the reservoir vent has to be plugged on the non-operating pump to prevent overflow from the operating pump.

The old and new hydraulic motor/pumps are directly interchangeable.

Interesting....did they use two pumps because they couldn't find a 12v unit that put out enough GPM?

paul case

I would imagine that is right.
A quick look on surplus center.com shows a whole bunch of 12v pump setups that are about 1 gallon per minute.

I did an update to my old 94 model lt40's hydraulics. I changed the valves because I wanted to hook up a pump that ran all the time which requires open centered valves and the ones I had were closed center. I jumped the hydraulics up to a 4.5 gpm pump on an 220 volt electric motor. It would be easy to throw a log over the backstops if not in the right state of mind. It works well, I patterned it from member pineywoods homemade hydraulics.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Personally I am a fan of the two pump setup.  All of my sawing is portable and sometimes quite a few miles away.  It would be very unlikely that both pumps would ever fail simultaneously so the option is to do what I did yesterday.  Disable the nonworking pump and finish the job on the remaining pump.

I will make a visit to an upcoming job tomorrow that is 83 miles away.   I'm not making a special trip, but since I will be in the area, I will swing by.  Anyway the point is I am more confidant knowing that a hydraulic pump failure will not disable me when sawing on road trips.

SineWave

Not to derail the thread, but are many people running their hydraulics from an auxiliary gas engine?

I'm starting on my mill this spring, and my plan was to use a $99 Chonda 6.5 hp gas engine to run the hydraulics (plan to set it up with hydraulic log lifting, clamping and flipping, and possibly a variable speed hydraulic motor to move the carriage back and forth).

Magicman

The new hydraulic pump is installed and I have my SuperHydraulic Sawmill back again.  Instead of an Iskra, the new pump is a Buchner.  No problem because it was a direct replacement for the old Monarch unit.  I had replaced one of the Monarchs in 2014 with an Iskra and after rebuilding the motor had it for a spare.

Remember that this was not a motor that failed as I first thought, but it was the pump itself.  Apparently this pump has been loosing it's "pump" for a while because it had gradually gotten louder and I could hear the pumps running over the sound of the Diesel.  :-\  When I first engaged the pumps after the installation I thought for a moment that they were not working until I saw the clamp moving.  I could not believe how quiet they were, plus the speed was noticeable faster.  I am happy!

I now have two rebuilt Monarch motors and one old Monarch pump on the spare shelf.   ;D 

Thank You Sponsors!