iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woods backhoe

Started by 69bronco, September 30, 2017, 09:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronco

Anyone have one? Looking for feedback on them, thinking of trading my real hoe for a bigger tractor and hanging a 3pt hoe on it. I don't use the big hoe that much anymore, I know it's like digging with a shovel then using a teaspoon. Trying to downsize a little,  maybe have something that would actually fit in a bldg for winter. Opinions on the Woods brand would be appreciated. Thanks

Kbeitz

Quote from: 69bronco on September 30, 2017, 09:10:20 AM
Anyone have one? Looking for feedback on them, thinking of trading my real hoe for a bigger tractor and hanging a 3pt hoe on it. I don't use the big hoe that much anymore, I know it's like digging with a shovel then using a teaspoon. Trying to downsize a little,  maybe have something that would actually fit in a bldg for winter. Opinions on the Woods brand would be appreciated. Thanks

Woods make some great stuff. But...
There have been many tractors broken in half with 3 point backhoes.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

DR_Buck

I have a woods backhoe on my Kubota B2710.   It's a smaller tractor but does most what I need.   

The backhoe is not actually 3 point.  There is an underframe  mount that gets installed and the backhoe mounts to it.  It is actually 4 point mounting.

All of the 3 point parts come off while the backhoe is in use.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bruno of NH

I had a woods frame mount on a kubota b7800 never had any problems
Was doing some small house jacking jobs then used it inside foundations a lot.
Got a bigger tractor with a 60 hp and frame mount Bradco it dug nice but when the fluid got hot it would melt to o rings in the valve body and I mean quite often to the fact it would make me mad.
I didn't get one with the new tractor
Tried to save money they are not cheap for a bigger tractor.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

I miss the counter weight it provided to the tractor
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

John Mc

I have a Woods 7500 backhoe that I bought used from a rental yard. It came as a 3 pt hitch, I used it that way briefly, but I'm using it on a compact tractor not designed for that stress. I ended up getting the woods 4-point subframe it stays on the tractor full time once it has been installed. It's a well-thought out design: when I'm using it regularly, I can get the backhoe on in about 5 minutes. Unlike Dr Buck, I only have to remove the toplink of my 3 point hitch to mount the backhoe (I do need to jockey the lower 3 Pt arms around a bit to get them in the right position).

Larger tractors (some farm tractors) can get by without the subframe, but most compact tractors really benefit from the subframe. In my case, the subframe also made a handy place to mount my belly pan.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

21incher

A friend of mine had one with a mounting frame on an old Massey and it was a great machine.  But if you want one built like a tank, contact grouch.  ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

bodagocreek2

I have one branded Kubota that salesman said was made by Woods. Bought it when I bought my Kubota L2900 20 years ago Works great. Get one the right size for your tractor. Mine is 3pt, 5 to 10 minutes on, 5 minutes off.

John Mc

Quote from: bodagocreek2 on October 02, 2017, 01:04:44 PM
I have one branded Kubota that salesman said was made by Woods. Bought it when I bought my Kubota L2900 20 years ago Works great. Get one the right size for your tractor. Mine is 3pt, 5 to 10 minutes on, 5 minutes off.

Some of the compact Kubotas were designed with attaching a 3-pt backhoe in mind. If I recall, they had a beefier top link attach point. I'm not sure if the new ones are still made that way or not.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

woodmaker

I dont have a "woods " backhoe,but i do have a fairly large backhoe attachment on a N.H. tc35d,and can vouch for the guys that say you should have a subframe. I welded my backhoe to to the subframe,so I have to take most of the subframe off when I remove the hoe,but so far there has been no problem with the backhoe breaking the tractor casting.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

DR_Buck

quote author=John Mc link=topic=98038.msg1514120#msg1514120 date=1506823304]
I have a Woods 7500 backhoe that I bought used from a rental yard. It came as a 3 pt hitch, I used it that way briefly, but I'm using it on a compact tractor not designed for that stress. I ended up getting the woods 4-point subframe it stays on the tractor full time once it has been installed. It's a well-thought out design: when I'm using it regularly, I can get the backhoe on in about 5 minutes. Unlike Dr Buck, I only have to remove the toplink of my 3 point hitch to mount the backhoe (I do need to jockey the lower 3 Pt arms around a bit to get them in the right position).

Larger tractors (some farm tractors) can get by without the subframe, but most compact tractors really benefit from the subframe. In my case, the subframe also made a handy place to mount my belly pan.
[/quote]

My Woods comes off and on the 4 point frame in about 5 minutes.     It takes longer to take off the 3 point arms than anything else.[

John Mc

Quote from: DR_Buck on October 02, 2017, 10:54:24 PM
My Woods comes off and on the 4 point frame in about 5 minutes.     It takes longer to take off the 3 point arms than anything else.

You can't leave your 3 point arms on? I remove the pins that connect the stabilizers to the lower arms (I remove the end that attaches to the tractor, and leave it connected to the lower arms). Lower the arms down as low as they can go, install the backhoe, then raise the arms back up. I do have to jockey the arms around a bit to get them to nest in between the hydraulic tank and the frame of the backhoe (I run my hydraulics off a PTO-driven pump. I guess if you run off tractor hydraulics, you don't have a tank on the hoe?)  Different stabilizer arm or lower 3 Pt arm configurations may not allow this. Maybe I just got lucky?

DR_Buck

Quote from: John Mc on October 03, 2017, 08:33:57 AM
Quote from: DR_Buck on October 02, 2017, 10:54:24 PM
My Woods comes off and on the 4 point frame in about 5 minutes.     It takes longer to take off the 3 point arms than anything else.

You can't leave your 3 point arms on? I remove the pins that connect the stabilizers to the lower arms (I remove the end that attaches to the tractor, and leave it connected to the lower arms). Lower the arms down as low as they can go, install the backhoe, then raise the arms back up. I do have to jockey the arms around a bit to get them to nest in between the hydraulic tank and the frame of the backhoe (I run my hydraulics off a PTO-driven pump. I guess if you run off tractor hydraulics, you don't have a tank on the hoe?)  Different stabilizer arm or lower 3 Pt arm configurations may not allow this. Maybe I just got lucky?

I run mine off the tractor hydraulics.  There's a kit to add the quick connects on the back for implements.    I guess if I wanted I could leave the arms hang on the back.  Just safer to take them off and not have them in the way.    It's only a couple pins and some spacers.   I just have to remember where I put them after they come off.  :-)

John Mc

Quote from: DR_Buck on October 03, 2017, 10:18:44 PM
I run mine off the tractor hydraulics.  There's a kit to add the quick connects on the back for implements.    I guess if I wanted I could leave the arms hang on the back.  Just safer to take them off and not have them in the way.    It's only a couple pins and some spacers.   I just have to remember where I put them after they come off.  :-)

I already have dual rear remotes. I run mine off the PTO pump by choice, not due to a lack of hydraulic hook-ups. The backhoe was bought used and came with the PTO pump. I've continued to use it since I figure it can't hurt to keep the hydraulic systems separated.

As for the 3 Pt arms, I'm not sure what would be safer about taking the 3 Pt hitch arms off. They tuck up into the frame - they are not the lowest thing hanging down. My reason for leaving them on is just what you mentioned: if I leave them on, I don;t have to remember where I left them.

47sawdust

Bronco,
If you are going to put it on the 2120,Ford makes a sub-frame mount hoe for that series tractor.My neighbor has one on a 1920 and it is easy on and off.Good backhoe,stay away from 3 pt. units,they are hard on the tractor.
The backhoe for that tractor is a Ford  758b.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

tree-farmer

I have a Woods ground breaker hoe on my 4x4 L3400 Kubota. Does everything I need around here. Not comercial tool but great for small farm /woodland use. Mounts on frame, takes 30 min or so to put on take off.  Kind of want 2nd tractor, but wife frown on idea.  ;D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Thank You Sponsors!