iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colorado Elk 2017

Started by Magicman, April 04, 2017, 08:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

I finished sawing my last job before the trip yesterday so this morning was truck cleaning out time.   :o

Since the truck camper will be on the truck, everything has to be unloaded.  Yup, I found stuff that was "lost" that I have been looking for.   ::)

A corner of the carport is now occupied with sawmilling stuff.

And the back of the truck is clean and ready for the camper. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Mr Lynn
Safe travels on your trip and good luck on the hunting :)
Jim
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Thanks to all for the well wishes.  This "getting ready" is a long drawn out process trying to think if everything.   smiley_dizzy   When we went every year I seemed easier to keep everything in order but we have not been since 2013.  My last hunt was 2012 and it has taken me 5 years to draw this tag.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Good luck and I know you will have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Briankinley2004

Don't forget the chap stick and eye drops for the altitude and wind. You might also want to vacuum seal some oxygen and put in your knapsack in case you have to drag an elk at 9000 feet.

Magicman

We will be camping at ~10,000 feet and it is up from there.  :o  Yes, chap stick, eye drops, mirror.  We will get there Wednesday afternoon to give us a few days to acclimate. (as much as possible)  Continuously "Camel Up" with water really helps.

GAB

Try not to forget your license, tag,rifle and ammo.
A heavy tarp and a rope to use as a stone boat behind the four wheeler might be a good idea.
Wishing you a very good trip and please be careful.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Wow, MM! All that out of one truck? I haven't seen that much stuff come out of one place since the last time my wife cleaned out her purse. :D

Good luck and be careful out there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Delawhere Jack

Good luck on the hunt. Don't forget to take pictures... or else it didn't happen (Old FF saying).

Thinking the elevation is more of a problem than your legs. 5,000 feet left me gasping for air when jogging, and that was when I was a teen.

(Please, no pictures of your feet!  ;D)

Magicman

We have packed in and spike camped before but on this trip we plan to spend every night in the truck camper which will actually be removed from the truck.  Not only will we have the generator for cooking & heating in the mornings and evenings, it also serves another benefit. 

A few years ago I found what are called "trucker's pads".  These are pads that are inserted into the bottom of the sleeping bags, plugged in, and in 30 minutes they get the sleeping bag toasty warm before you slide in.  Of course the generator is off during the night, but by then you ain't worried about the cold.

Magicman

The final loading is done.

Packed up and ready.

The Old Hat says that it is ready.  It has been traveling with me since my first trip in 1973.  It has an assortment of accumulated "decorations" some of which are only pieces of former hatbands like the bit of Copperhead skin.

The horse's butt pin has been there for many years and the silver feather came from Santa Fe.

All that is left to do is to leave tomorrow morning.  There is a lot of Texas between here and there.   :-\

Texas Ranger

Take care, my friend, and wave to the south as you come through. Remember our LEo's are friendly, but firm.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

newoodguy78

LaneC

Man makes plans and God smiles

WDH

I see that you look appropriately rough.  Elk don't care how you look, just how you smell.  No onions, garlic, pizza, etc.  Just bread and water for you  :)

Also, elk don't know how many a feet a horse have.  Keep that in mind all times. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

fishfighter

Be careful on your trip. Keep us updated and good luck.

Ron Scott

Looks that you are very well prepared.
~Ron

Magicman

Elk Camp.

We scouted this afternoon/evening and it looked very promising.

fishfighter

Is that a camp ground or just some place on public land? How's the weather?

Magicman

Just National Forest land.  22° This am, clear sky.

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on October 18, 2017, 10:30:37 PM

Elk Camp.

We scouted this afternoon/evening and it looked very promising.

MM:
Do you have any idea at what elevation your campsite is at?
What happened to the front of the cargo trailer?  Lower left when facing the tongue in the stone guard area.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!