iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Colorado Elk 2017

Started by Magicman, April 04, 2017, 08:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We leave two weeks from tomorrow so are on a countdown schedule now.  (leaving on the 17th)  I plan to make my final trip to the "shooting range" today and gather a few more items from the Cabin.  I keep thinking that I am forgetting something but that is normal.   smiley_dizzy  I do have a sorta checkoff list.

My last planned sawing is a 70 mile one way road trip on the 13th.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Both rifles are zero'ed at 250 yards and holding nice tight groups inside of a 3" square; 30-06 with Nosler Custom 165 gr Accubonds and .280 with Federal Premium 150 gr Nosler Partitions.  I would not hesitate to take either.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newoodguy78

Good choice with the .280. Not many guys around here are familiar with it but it's my personal favorite. It's been the demise of many deer and one moose. I'll be watching this thread close as I've been out to Colorado twice in pursuit of elk and came home empty handed both times. Best of luck to you and safe travels.

WDH

Just remember "Elk don't know how many feet a horse have". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFePYTa0xwY
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

But furst ya gots ta have uh hoss.   :D

sandhills

Just head there via Nebraska, I'll hook you up  ;D.

Magicman

I grew up with cattle and horses but those days are long since gone.  Actually my last real experience with horses was my first Elk hunt in Wyoming in 1973.  We rode in early and I killed a bull a bit over 10 miles from the trailhead.  We halved the animal, split it down the backbone and loaded a half on each horse skin side down with a quarter on each side.  The hoofs/stirrups were tied together beneath the horses belly.  We cut a slit in the hide for the saddle horn.  Needless to say, we walked out leading the horses.  My horse walked faster than me and kept stepping on my boot heels successfully pulling them off and destroying my boots.  It was a looong day.

That was my first Elk hunt 44 years ago and this will be my last to actually hunt.  My last, but Marty should draw an Elk license next year.  In between there have been many hunts which included Elk, Mule Deer, and Antelope.  Some trips I had no license and only guided.  I even "worked" for an Outfitter and got paid to guide some paying Elk hunters.   Some trips I was the Camp Cook.  I was always successful with Deer and Antelope, but not with Elk, but even with no actual kill, there never was a less than enjoyable trip.  I have caught many Trout and done a fair amount of Grouse shooting.  I say shooting because I plinked them out of the trees.  

There have been some setbacks like a broken axle in Vernon, TX. where we had to leave the RV and continue on in the Bronco.  A busted air bag in Denton, TX. that had to be replaced on the road.  Axle bearings that had to be replaced in Pueblo, CO.  Yup, and also a couple of speeding tickets....in TX !!!  :o    

sandhills

Setbacks then maybe, now good memories  ;).

Texas Ranger

MM, sounds like you might want to stay clear of Texas!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Raider Bill

Texas is tough on outsiders especially if you are on a bike. In 93 I rode the Shovelhead to San Diego for a Raiders game. Interstate 10 all the way though Texas seemed to take weeks. Minding my own business I still manged to get pulled over a few times. No tickets but a hassle.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

For the uninitiated, it is further from Orange to El Paso, then from Jacksonville to Orange.  It is a long and lonely drive from Fredericksburg to El Passo.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

If I remember correctly the East mile marker on Interstate 10 is 880.  That's a looong way to the West border. 

I have had the sun to rise and set on me in Texas many times.  I actually quit counting at 45 and that was several years ago.   :-\

ToddsPoint

My brother lived in Houston and told me on a trip from Houston to LA over half the trip is in Texas.  I didn't believe him until I checked.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Magicman

I am gradually but steadily gathering and putting stuff in traveling order.  Among other things, last week the trailer got an axle flip, greasing, and today it got two brand new shoes.  I will start loading it out today.

We leave one week from tomorrow!  It's 23° right now in Fairplay and they got quite a bit of snow this morning.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on October 09, 2017, 02:21:21 PM
I am gradually but steadily gathering and putting stuff in traveling order.  Among other things, last week the trailer got an axle flip, greasing, and today it got two brand new shoes.  I will start loading it out today.

We leave one week from tomorrow!  It's 23° right now in Fairplay and they got quite a bit of snow this morning.
What's a axle flip?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 09, 2017, 02:47:08 PM
What's a axle flip?
Kind of a misnomer.   You don't actually "flip" the axle over, you add spring seats to the top of the axle and move the springs on top.  That gives you about a 4" lift to the trailer, giving you more ground clearance.  If you were to "flip" the axle over (so you could use the factory seats), the pre-loading bend in the axle would be upside down.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sandhills

Quote from: WDH on October 09, 2017, 03:35:36 PM
What is 23°?

;D
It's what today feels like around here, I'm not acclimated to this yet  :).

Magicman

Exactly right John.  If you turn the axle over so the spring seats fit, you would wear out a set of tires very quickly.  I got the Dexter Axle over/under kit which worked perfectly.  I also replaced the nylon shackle sleeves and lubed them with white grease while I was there. 

I had done the same thing with our 5th wheel RV.  On it, I also replaced all of the shackle bolts with "wet" bolts, bronze sleeves, and added torsion rockers.

Banjo picker

Have a safe trip my friend.  I know if preparation matters, you will have the bases covered.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

Thank You Tim.  Speaking of preparation;

You would not want to take your 4Wheeler to Colorado without one of these.   ;D

I made a screenshot of this morning's temperature;

13° this morning, but notice that the trend is warming up quite nicely into the ~20°'s at night and ~50°'s daytime when we get there next Wednesday.  Of course after that, who knows.   ::)

Magicman

Going back to the "axle flip" that was referred to in some previous replies, I made some pictures this morning.

This is the Dexter Kit that I used.

This shows the axle that was previously on top of the springs, now located beneath the springs.  Notice the new spring seats above the axle and the adjuster between the new seat and the old seat.  These adjusters are to insure that the new seat is exactly parallel with the old seat.  New U bolts connects everything together.

A slightly different view of the new axle arrangement.  This axle "flip" raised the trailer ~4" while maintaining the factory axle alignment.

Crusarius

no weld axle flip? thats a first.

Magicman

Dexter recommends that after the new axle seats are installed for them to be welded to the axle.  My method is to give them a good trial run before welding to insure that everything is properly aligned.  I would hate to weld something that was crooked.   :-\

Magicman

As some of you know, the camper has a refrigerator/freezer (small), stovetop, toaster "oven", and microwave, along with a generator.  We are able to precook our meats and freeze them making our evening meals really fast and easy when we come dragging in after dark.

Here is pork roast, chicken, and shrimp.  There is already more in the freezer including chicken spaghetti and roast beef.

We will use canned and powdered potatoes, noodles, peas, corn, plus peaches and pears.   food6

Thank You Sponsors!