iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The next quarter sawing project.

Started by customsawyer, April 04, 2017, 04:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Quote from: Mooseherder on May 19, 2017, 11:16:52 PM
.  It was about 90 degrees but a great day with great food and awesome folks. :)
Everything was great:  meeting and seeing Forum people, log ripping demo, lumber grading class and lunch.  Looking forward to day two.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Thank you for the two videos and we look forward to also seeing some pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

Try to get a video of Jake's propeller making technique. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Weekend_Sawyer

Dan, I'm glad to hear that your wife is doing better.

Jake, I wish I was there!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Deese

I just got home a couple hours ago. Man, what a memorable experience, great setting, and absolutely wonderful people! Thank you Jake, and everyone else involved that helped make this happen. It was so nice to finally meet so many of you in person. The Forestry Forum has brought many people together throughout the years, and I am glad that I am part of it. Here are a few pictures that I got. I wish I would have taken more.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

grouch

Thanks for those pictures, Deese!

Beautiful grain.
Find something to do that interests you.

Nomad

DanG, that's great news! 
     As to the Project?  It was as fantastic as ever, or maybe just a bit better.  Dr. Gene Wengert's class on lumber grading was wonderful.  Thank You, Gene!  The sawing was as good as expected (that quartersawn sycamore had Danny drooling.  Well...  a lot of other people too.) and the chance to catch up with old friends and put faces to some new old friends is always welcome.  The food was as good as anticipated, thanks to Julio and everyone else who contributed to the effort.
     I wish I could've stuck around for the class on blades this afternoon, but my time was just getting too short.  I bet it was good as well.  I'd say "thanks", too to Kasco for having a rep there.  That was a really nice touch.
     Biggest thanks has to go to Jake for on another one of these, and HITTING IT OUT OF THE PARK AGAIN! 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Deese

Raider Bill, Poston, and myself.
I can't quit laughing.  :D

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I had Nats in my eyes.
Did anybody else have a Nat problem?  :D

Raider Bill and Deese....y'all got some BIG 'OL HEADS.  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

Oh that explains it. I thought they was squeezing you!

What do you get when you squeeze a goat? gnats?  Sorry.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

It all looks good , some Very Talented people sharing knowledge from the school of hard knocks. 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Here is Yellow Hammers wife, "Yellow Screw Driver" trying to figure out how to turn on the Skid Steer.
She never knew I took this pic.  :D

Here I am with "6" catching up on some of the past.

Here I am with Caveman

Here I am with my personal Body Guard of the FF......Mooseherder. I was looking for him this morning and he was standing right beside me  :D :D :D :D. Some how he looks BIGGER on the FF.  ;D Been waiting for years to cross paths with him.  :)

Got my pic made with ELLMOE.

Here I am with "Julio Down By The School Yard." ( old song ).  :D

Here I am with Jake......he won't listen to a DanG I told him.......need more signs Jake.  :D :D :D :D

At first Yellow Hammer and Scott didn't want their picture made with me.

But I gave them $300 a piece and they turned around.

Here is Raider Bill and Kirk Winburn....( my right hand man and best friend at my sawmill)

Wild Bill was giving Slider a little help.....well a lot of help on his Woodmizer Mill.

Fishpharmer brought the BIGGEST GNAT of all. A Drone with camera.

Heres the Drone coming around taking movies.  :D

DanG Drone got right in my face. I tried to spray Wasp Spray on it but it was too fast.  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jake ( CUSTOMER SAWYER ) edging while Danny ( WDH ) and the rest of the crew stack and sticker.
https://youtu.be/l1wmW7wlIAc

caveman

What an awesome gathering.  It was good to see many of the folks who I had the privilege to meet at last year's project and finally get to meet Julio, Mooseherder, Fishfarmer (he was sporting the beard I am going to try to grow one of these days), Deese and others.

The fellowship, sharing of experiences, expertise and different ways of accomplishing the same task (skinning the cat) was very much appreciated.

I would have liked to stick around several more hours but needed to head home.  Rolled into the yard at 11:54 p.m. and realized Poston and Deese either drive faster than I do or do not live as far away from Jake's.

Thank you to Jake for hosting and to all of the folks who took the time to share. 
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

move_it Gotta hurry....Gotta beat Caveman home.

grouch

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 21, 2017, 12:37:52 AM
move_it Gotta hurry....Gotta beat Caveman home.

I never knew goats could take such good pictures. The things you learn on FF.

Thank you!

flatrock58

It was nice to finally meet some of the forum members that I see online all the time.  Thanks to Jake and all who helped to get it all together, the food and company was great.  I learned a lot from Gene's class friday.  Just didn't get enough time to really sit down and talk to everyone.  Looks like we missed a good time Saturday, but sometimes things come up and you have to change plans.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

WDH

Two big highlights for me were the lumber grading seminar and the blade seminar.  Here is a pic of Dr. Gene and the crew at the lumber grading seminar.

I did not get a pic of Richard and Gary teaching us about sawmill cut quality and blade dynamics, but hopefully someone else did and will post it. 

Here is the subject log. 

This pic will most likely make the Forestry Forum Calendar.  Here is Mr. May.

On second thought, after a vigorous review by the Admins, Mr. May has been disqualified for behavior unbecoming a Forestry Forum Model.

A nice surprise was that the log was spalted  8).

Spalted, quatersawn sycamore is certainly special.

We also got a demo of the pinhero 4-sided planer.  Here is a pic of Jake planing 1x12 quartersawn SYP.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

I asked  folks to put their names on this list Saturday.  I know I missed some who were there Friday only.  Flatrock58 was one that I know of.   

Thanks to Jake and all who helped make this the BEST event.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

grouch

WDH:

Beautiful wood. Where do these big, non-hollow sycamores come from?

WDH

The big sycamore logs come from the river bottomlands of Central and South Georgia.  As you can see, they get quite large.  Jake and Yellowhammer collaborated on the best way to get the most figured boards.  I would say that at least 95% of the boards had good figure.  The Yellowhammer Reverse Roll Quartersawing Technique will maximize the amount of true quartersawn lumber, but you need a big log and Jake Dean (Customersawyer) or Yellowhammer for the best results.  This technique came into being as a function of the Project last year as Yellowhammer left with his thinking cap on after seeing how Jake had perfected the Octagon Method on his LT70, and figured out how to do it on a LT40 with some tweaks that made it even better.

You can do it.  Here is how. 

Step 1.  Get a ginormous sycamore log. 
Step 2.  Get Customsawyer or Yellowhammer, preferably both. 
Step 3.  Get a skidsteer and a big tractor with a grapple. 
Step 4.  Get a heavy duty, stout mill like a Woodmizer LT 70. 
Step 5.  Get Julio, his wife Pam, Vickie (Slider's wife), and Tammy (Jake's Sweetheart), who will produce a bunch of delicious stuff to eat.
Step 6.  Get a crowd of knowledgeable and hard working Forestry Forum members with experts like Gary from Ohio, Richard from West Virginia, and Dr. Gene from Georgia.

Nothing to it.  A a piece of cake. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grouch

Quote from: WDH on May 21, 2017, 11:00:04 AM

Step 1.  Get a ginormous sycamore log. 

Nothing to it.  A a piece of cake.

See that's where it all falls apart. Judging by what I've read here, "if you feed them, they will come" would take care of steps 2 - 6. A freezer full of crappie and assorted other fish, a loaded grill of beef and pork dissection demos, and that piece of cake are easy. It's that ginormous sycamore that stumps the scheme.

Thank you and everyone else who shared their experiences with us stuck-at-homes!

Thank You Sponsors!